Author Topic: New Allotment, novice gardener  (Read 2531 times)

abdehor

• My family
New Allotment, novice gardener
« on: January 23, 2006, 05:42:47 »
Hi everyone, just taken on a new allotment, what a nightmare, dont think it has been used for planting just keeping birds, dogs, rabbits ect.
Cleared the pens burnt them down, lots and lots of weeds and roots which I need to dig out.
I got this allotment a couple of weeks ago, would potatoes be the best thing to plant this spring to clean up the soil ?
Thanks to everyone for you tips on here, excellent site for someone like me,
Deb

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Re: New Allotment, novice gardener
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:40:53 »
Hello there, sounds like you are going great guns with the allotment already!
Yes I think tatties would be a good choice of crop to clear the ground. We are intending to put a large proportion of the vegetable plot into tatties this year for that very reason. Don't forget to grow other stuff too though!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:54:04 »
I think squashes are effective too as the large leaf cover does tend to reduce the weeds, and they don't need much maintenance. I agree with the potatoes.

A new allotment is always exciting, I wish you very good luck.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:40:51 »
Hello there you lucky devil

I picked up the following site from this forum and it might well prove helpful - there are some great tips on it together with a planting calendar and everything - good for novices like us.

The address is www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk.  Good luck and happy surfing and planting.
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:35:45 »
Welcome and good luck as you embark on this most satisfying and at times most annoying  ;)way of spending your time.

Spuds are a good choice but remember that they do not`clean up` the soil-the foliage does supress some weeds but it`s mostly the earthing up that you do that gives you the chance to keep weeding.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal