Author Topic: raised beds  (Read 1654 times)

weedy gardener

• Not So New ...
raised beds
« on: January 21, 2006, 16:32:58 »
This is for my garden, not where I sleep! - and I wasn't sure where would be best to post this, so went for a well-visited patch.

I am hoping to get my other half to help out with the lifting, moving and technical bits as we have rescued some thick wood lengths from some old pallets that were going to be skipped at his workplace. But I just wanted to check if it is okay to support this border, raising the front edge, whilst there are plants already established in it?

Also, does anyone have tried-and-tested tips or methods for building a raised bed?

wg

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: raised beds
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 18:10:45 »
Have made lots of raised beds. The way I made them was to cut all wood to appropriate lengths....mine were 12' x 4'...and on the shorter lengths nailed stakes to  either end (about 9 inches longer than the board). Then put one short side in place and put one longer length against it...square it up with the other short piece...bash it into the ground...and nail the sides on. I always used annular nails...found them a lot better.

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 16:42:35 »
If you've already got the timber then this probably won't be of use to you but if you ever want to make any more, look out for 'pallet collars' which you can stack on top of each other........

Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 18:17:34 »
;D ;D ;D

Great pics Pete!! Where do you get pallet collars from? Am in Oldham, any local info?!!!

;)

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 18:24:03 »
Well........I might be Oldham born, Oldham bred (and I made a trip over yesterday to see the Latics) but I've lived in Lincoln for the last 12 years so local info is from here I'm afraid.
However, I did come across loads of these things about to be torched so if we get any more at work I'll throw some in the back of the car for you and bring them over to Oldham when there's a home match.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 18:32:43 »
;D ;D ;D ;D

Yer on Pete!!! Am in Heyside, not far from Boundary Park!! Email is on the profile...PM not possible yet!!

Mate lives in Hartlepool, great result New Years Eve!!! Or was it New years day?? not a footie fan me!!!!

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal