Author Topic: Happy Birthday, Robert Brenchley  (Read 6269 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Happy Birthday, Robert Brenchley
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 17:42:39 »
Happy Birthday Robert!! Hope you are having a lovely meal with your family around you this evening!!

;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 20:01:31 »
Meals with the family round don't happen! we're about to go out to see a film Namissa wants to watch, Brokeback Mountain, about two gay Americans, which is all I know about it. We're going out for a meal next week after she's been paid.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 21:02:37 »
:-\

Jealous!! Want to see Brokeback Mountain!!!!

Enjoy!!

;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 23:10:49 »
Happy Birthday,Robert - I nearly missed it!!  And glad you hadn't lost all your Podophyllums ( ???) - I'll need to google...
Brokeback Mountain - have read the story - it's only 30+ pages in a collection of Wyoming Tales by Annie Proulx but no doubt the film has elaborated!

I know this may be wandering off topic, Robert, my apologies for that but I did Google and WOW Podophyllums!  http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/11821.html?1115897334
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 00:56:33 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 00:18:25 »
Meals with the family round don't happen! we're about to go out to see a film Namissa wants to watch, Brokeback Mountain, about two gay Americans, which is all I know about it. We're going out for a meal next week after she's been paid.

Brokeback mountain = A raw, powerful story of two young men, a Wyoming ranch hand and a rodeo cowboy, who meet in the summer of 1963 sheepherding in the harsh, high grasslands of contemporary Wyoming and form an unorthodox yet life-long bond--by turns ecstatic, bitter and conflicted.

Am very much looking forward to seeing it this Tuesday.

We've been to see Underworld: Evolution this evening which was pretty good.

Hope you've enjoyed your day (and film!)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 10:20:43 »
Happy birthday for yesterday, sorry I'm a bit late!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 12:45:48 »
Robert,

Sorry I'm late too -
Hope you enjoyed the film and had a great day,

CLx

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 16:05:26 »
BEST WISHES,

angle shades,x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 17:24:08 »
The film's excellent but rather tragic. Namissa's from a very homophobic culture and she's trying to understand a bit better, which is why she wanted to see it.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 19:15:23 »
;D Belated Birthday Wishes, Robert. ;D

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2006, 20:13:09 »
And from me too: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 19:25:20 »
Thanks to everyone. Namissa's sister died last night, and we've suddenly got landed with major problems with our younger girl getting bullied (the school's rapidly getting on top of it fortunately) so things are more than a little difficult right now.

Regards,

Robert

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2006, 19:32:06 »
Robert. So sorry to hear your sad news.
Glad to hear the school are doing something about the bullying.
Best wishes to you all.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2006, 19:51:24 »
Thanks.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2006, 21:03:28 »
Very sorry to hear your sad news Robert. I can sympathise very much. Poor Namissa.

Hope the school sorts the bullying out. 

Awful time for you all. 

Best Wishes

Helen

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2006, 23:03:02 »
Robert, doesn't life have a way of catching you out... Condolences to Namissa and yourself on the loss of your sister-in-law.  For the other matter of the bullying - it is frightening because you can feel helpless and unable to protect your child from life's bad side but we can only hope that the school does manage the situation out very soon.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2006, 23:42:18 »
So sorry to hear of your very sad news Robert.    My condolences to Namissa for the loss of her sister and your sister in law.  It is also very worrying when your child is bullied.  My daughter was bullied when she was twelve and had a dreadful time from some girls in a gang in her class, so I know how horrible it can be.  Fortunately the school were quite good too, and dealt with it quite well, but it took ages for my daughter to get her confidence back.  My good wishes to you and your family.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 19:16:27 »
Thanks, everyone. I got home from school today to find Namissa rather distressed since she'd phoned Freetown to find that they were washing the body ready to take to Kabala, their home town, this afternoon for burial tomorrow. The phone lines to the town, which is still in ruins from the war, are hopeless, so she had to say goodbye then and there.

We had major problems when our younger daughter, then five, was evacuated to Kabala during the war; there was fighting all over the place, and the phone lines were down for the next six weeks, all we knew was that she'd left Freetown, and bandits were waylaying cars along that road. When the lines were eventually 'repaired', they were so bad that we were phoning, and being unable to hear a word over the crackle. It took another six weeks to get her taken over the border and flown out from Conakry, shortly before one of the rebel factions took over the town to use as a headquarters. Mina's grandmother was burnt to death in her bed when they torched the house she was in.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 00:25:59 »
Very shocking Robert, what terrible experiences! It is difficult to comprehend such horror.  I am so sorry for Namissa and the rest of your family. love busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 20:24:01 »
We'll get over it. Fortunately Mina was never in the fighting, and was too young to understand. Our other daughter, Kumbi, was briefly in the fighting in Freetown, until the Red Cross organised a ceasefire to get civilians out and she was rescued by the US navy, and flown straight over here. We thought she was on some rustbucket on the way to Ghana, then suddenly got a call to say she was in the air heading for Stanstead. She still suffers from PTSD eight and a half years later.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal