Author Topic: Wisley gardens  (Read 3491 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Wisley gardens
« on: January 21, 2006, 23:30:43 »
After spending some time this evening in the chat room, I promised to post some pictures taken at Wisley last year.  Unfortunately I don't have any of the vegetable or fruit gardens but here are some pics for flower lovers.  For those who haven't visited Wisley, it is a beautiful place.  Words do not describe it.  It is such a vast place with rock gardens with waterfalls, ponds, herbacious borders, woodlands with rhododendrons, azaleas, primula etc, trial gardens for flowers, fruit and veggies, rose gardens, small individual gardens, hot houses filled with orchids and other tropical and sub-tropical plants, heather gardens etc. etc. etc. 
If you decide to go, allow a whole day and avoid a Sunday which is for RHS members only.

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
Re: Wisley gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 23:49:03 »
Cracking photos Paulines7, so why did you need a new camera ? ( how are you getting on with it ?)
Haven't been there myself, will try and visit a few more gardens this year.
DD

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 23:57:21 »
My husband took them with his Olympus!  I have my memory stick now but haven't fitted it yet.  I've taken photos of hares but they don't come out very well.  I will have to spend more time reading up about it. When I take distant shots they are blurred when I magnify them.  At the moment, the best shots have been close-ups of grandchildren.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 00:01:19 »
Thanks Pauline for showing the pics. as promised.  Super photographs and would really like to go down there.  Maybe one day......  thanks again.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:34:22 »
Lovely photos Pauline.  I have never been to Wisley but would really love to go.  Thanks for posting the piccys, it made me feel all summery  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 09:46:50 »
grand day out P7
super pics  :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 09:54:17 »
Lovely photos Pauline.  Hub and daughter are visiting Wisley in April .  Unfortunately it is my turn to stay and look after the dogs but I shall give instructions to daughter to take loads of photos.  Thanks for sharing :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 14:21:17 »
Nice photos. We are lucky enough to live fairly close to Wisley & probably go at least once a month. There is always something to see - last time lots of the witch hazels were out. There are so many different types of areas that are inspiring. An enormous new glasshouse with added lake is being built there at the moment. I would recommend it to anyone to visit - & of course they have the veggy garden!

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 14:46:15 »
I just had a look at the Wisley website, it's £7.50 per person entrance, they are having a potato day in Feb. but may look to go to another place as if we have to pay £7.50 to get in seems a bit expensive.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 15:12:19 »
I suppose that's the joy of being an RHS member, you tend not to think about the cost of a single visit. Having said that I reckon that if you consider the cost of the entrance to lots of other places & events, £7.50 probably aint bad. It's £10.00 to get into Kew Gardens for instance.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 16:24:56 »
I just had a look at the Wisley website, it's £7.50 per person entrance, they are having a potato day in Feb. but may look to go to another place as if we have to pay £7.50 to get in seems a bit expensive.

The annual cost of joining the RHS is £33 but that gives free admittance to the member and one guest to several gardens throughout the UK. 

£7.50 is quite a bit of money but well worth it and it will take a whole day to explore every area of Wisley whereas some of the smaller gardens in the UK charge less but can be looked around in 2 hours.  It's over 100 miles round trip for me but I still visit as often as I can.  I don't go in February, marjrie, as there is not so much to see, but in May to August it is spectacular.   

beejay, I didn't now Kew were charging so much now (£8 according to their website).  I remember when it used to be about 4d for admission.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 17:05:05 »
Pauline, I remember those days of Kew also. It almost seemed silly paying it. We've become Friends there so like Wisley we can just pop in without feeling you have to stay to get your moneys worth. I think as many of these places become more popular they have to do more to keep up the interest of visitors which in itself costs money. Of course they are also doing huge amounts of work in the vast area that is horticulture.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 19:10:09 »
Cracking photos. Thank you for showing them to us.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 19:14:48 »
Beejay dont go telling everyone that you live near Wisley...........this lot will all be after Bed and Breakfast  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 19:21:33 »
:o

Bed and Breakfast and CUTTINGS!!!!!!!! Did I really say that?????? Only joking, your honour!!

;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 19:55:24 »
When I was growing up, half the gardens in Oxford had plants which originated as bits taken from the Botanical Garden. I bet it's the same round any of these places.

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 16:11:19 »
I took my toddler to Wisley about two weeks ago to visit some friends and ex-colleagues.  I worked there in the plant centre before I had the sprog and i miss it sooo much sometimes. I learnt something every single day i was there. Live to far away now to go as often as i'd like (every other day ;D) I would recommend it as a day out to everyone  - and the plant centre's pretty good too (i may even have met some of you in my former life either on the info desk or at the till)
I think there's something interesting to see every month and when the new glasshouse opens - WOW!
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 19:09:16 »
Oooh what lovely photos - it quite warmed me up looking at that sunshine on this cold wintry day!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 09:18:33 »
Hi all,  :D
                 a quick bit of info ,especially for marjrie, the potato day is in the Wisley shop ,so you do NOT pay the entrance fee, just go in , I was there this week & the potato selection is very large, a bit more expensive than some but an excellent selection.
                Adrian.

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 14:52:44 »
Hi all,  :D
                 a quick bit of info ,especially for marjrie, the potato day is in the Wisley shop ,so you do NOT pay the entrance fee, just go in , I was there this week & the potato selection is very large, a bit more expensive than some but an excellent selection.
                Adrian.

Thanks for the info. on this Adrian, will have a drive over there next week, do you know are they selling the seed spuds by weight or is it like the other places that have potato days ?
Where you can just buy a few of each different variety?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal