Author Topic: Cherries!  (Read 1927 times)

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
Cherries!
« on: March 08, 2004, 10:56:48 »
Working on the lottie over the weekend, we 'found' a cherry tree! You might wonder how an 8 foot cherry tree might hide, and I'm wondering myself!

We got the allotment in April last year, and noticed the gooseberry bush, and rather a lot of weeds. We used most of the plot last year, and thought there were no more surprises in store - until this weekend.

Carefully hidden right next to where we put the compost heap, by the side of the shed door, and in front of a fence, I spotted a tree. Looking at the tag attached, it claims to be a morello cherry. Yippee!!!

I'm understandably rather chuffed at the new discovery, but am at a loss as to how to care for it. It needs pruning. It took all my strength to stop Dunc from getting stuck in straight away, and I persuaded him that it might be a good idea to find out how and when this is best done - don't want to kill off the new find do we?

Can anyone please tell me (in simple terms I might understand) what to do with it?

Thanks,

:-* Tricia

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:Cherries!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 12:19:45 »
An extract from my website;

*   Week 5; Shorten the leaders of all young trees by half in winter.

* Week 12; Mulch sweet cherries with well rotted manure in spring and feed with 15gms (1/2oz) of sulphate of potash per sq. metre.

Apply sulphate of ammonia at 40-50gms( 1 1/2-2oz)  and Sulphate of Potash at 15gms (1/2oz) per sq.metre each spring, and 60-70gms (2-3oz) Superphosphate per sq metre every three years

n.b. Give slightly smaller amounts of fertiliser to fan-trained trees, where less growth is required.

* Week 14; Protect flower buds in winter and the developing fruits in summer from bird attack, particularly sweet cherries.

Where only a few trees are grown, protect them with nets.

* Week 21; As the trees mature, pruning of sweet cherries can be less severe and after four years entails only the removal of dead wood and unwanted branches.

Prune acid cherries annually throughout their life.

Prune out any badly placed or damaged branches

Timing of pruning is important to avoid silver leaf disease.

* If silver leaf infected branches are removed, ensure that they are cut back 100-150mm(4”-6”) behind the point where the inner wood is no longer stained.

All wounds are best painted with a wound dressing. e.g. 'Arbrex'

* Week 22; Ensure regular water supplies in summer to acid cherries growing on walls.

Leave the fruits on the trees until fully ripe.

n.b. Acid cherries are best cut off the tree with scissors to prevent diseases entering into torn bark.

* Week 44; Plant out fan trained trees when they are four years old.

Plant out bush trees, standards and half-standards when they are two years old.

Sweet cherries require a deep, well-drained,slightly alkaline loam.

Acid cherries grow satisfactorily on most ordinary well drained soils .

Avoid planting out in areas susceptible to late frosts

The Gardener

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 13:02:09 »
me - no idea, but just to say congratulations, what a freebie to find!  Enjoy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 13:06:29 »
I agree Ceri, how wonderful.  Mum has had one in her garden for years and it is huge and it is a fight between me and the blackbirds come picking time, but it is so worth it, and I have to say, mum does nothing special to it, just hacks of branches when they get in her way, and that is about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal