Author Topic: Sad day for me  (Read 5112 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Sad day for me
« on: January 19, 2006, 16:00:58 »
Jessie James is no more  :(   :( He went for my daughter three times this morning. I put him in the pen whilst waiting for OH.  Dickie a bloke we've met since getting the allotment hurried off to try to find someone to take JJ on. No luck. We can't have an aggressive cockerel so the decision was made to kill him.  Bill from across the way came over and did the deed,quickly and silently. Jess is now buried somewhere where he won't be disturbed. Feel silly because I'm so upset  :'(. My son has taken the news well.Really well considering he took pictures of JJ to school today,the ones GW and DD did for me. I'm thankful it wasn't Dennis , his favourite chook.Fingers crossed that Dennis will remain the placid character he has so far been. Daughter doesn't understand,she is only two. She brilliantly got over her fright at what happened and was happy to stroke Dennis. She loves the chickens too.

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: Sad day for me
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 16:33:29 »
I'm so sorry Heldi...I really feel for you. I feel the same whenever a pet dies...but you had no choice...nothing worse than a vicious cockeral especially when there are children around. Take care.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 17:18:10 »
:'( :'( :'(
sorry to hear that H & glad your weans are taking it well
if you want any more pics of JJ made just let me know
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 17:20:48 »
I too feel for you Heldi; although you will know it was the right thing to do and you really had no choice -  you can't be having vicious cockerals, especially with having children around. You can't help getting fond of them, though.  Hopefully he is in cockeral heaven now, scratching away with lots of lady friends.

Once we went to stay with my sister who had a field of free range hens,  and myself and  OH went out into the field to feed them and by accident dumped a sack of grain on one of them we didn't see and killed it. I felt absolutely terrible and so guilty even though it wasn't intended. Poor little thing!  :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 17:59:42 »
I do feel for you Heldi, what a sad thing to have to do but you didn't really have any option.  Maybe having two cockerels made Jesse James more assertive and aggressive.  I hope that Dennis remains placid so you can all enjoy him.  He must be friendly if he allows you to stroke him.  I hope you and your family soon get over the loss of JJ.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 18:57:30 »
What a difficult decision Heldi  :( and so brave of you to tackle it head on. Thanks for letting your friends know so we can give you a (((((Heldi))))).

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 19:44:10 »
Keep your chin up Heldi.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 19:52:36 »
Heldi you did the right thing, but sorry that it had to be done. Hugs from me.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 21:28:56 »
Just think of the good time you gave him instead of him living in a battery cage. I know which life I would choose. Its always hard loosing any type of animal or pet ane our thoughts are with you. I am glad you found him a good reting place.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 22:16:44 »
Thanks ever so much for your replies.  I'm relieved you have supported my decision.

JJ and Dennis were supposed to be girls when I got them. I never intended to have cockerels. I didn't want to have them killed just for being boys so we decided to keep them. The reason why I have so many hens was to hopefully keep them from fighting each other. They had the odd peck at each other but nothing much else. Dennis was top chook but then he was poorly for a while. In that time Jesse grew and became more assertive. Dennis is back on top form now and I saw their first spat yesterday. Dennis gave JJ such a peck. I have wondered if it was a pecking order thing...thinking about the size and height of my daughter?

Jesse was handled and if I could have quickly found an adult keeper for him I would have. He could be picked up and carried about. I had expected trouble but not like this.

I'm gutted if truth be known.

The reason I found out that my son is handling it very well is because OH told him a man came and took Jesse away because he tried to hurt his sister.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 11:15:51 by Heldi »

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 10:10:56 »
so sorry for you Heldi :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 11:17:24 »
Thanks Delilah.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 15:56:09 »
I haven't been on here for a while so have only just read this Heldi.  I am sorry and I can certainly understand you feeling so gutted, but what else could you do.  Just remember he had a good life with you and it was a swift end.

MM x

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 21:05:00 »
Aw thanks MM.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal