Author Topic: Scottish allotments  (Read 19931 times)

moudie

• Not So New ...
Scottish allotments
« on: January 16, 2006, 19:12:01 »
Introduction............Hi ........I'm  Moudie and have had an allotment at Allers in East Kilbride near Glasgow for about 12 years.Anyone else on the forum from the Glasgow area?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Scottish allotments
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 19:20:46 »
Yep I am but have now lived in Embra for about 25 years. Sad fate for a Weegie!  :'( :-[

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 19:29:02 »
i'm also a weegie ;D but i don't have a lottie :(
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 19:32:19 »
I'm half weegie , does that count?

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 21:51:01 »
Good enough for me Vez  ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 22:37:42 »
Hi Moudie - I'm in Edinburgh (willingly!) but originally from Caithness so no Glasgow connection - BUT I did spend time in Hairmyers Hospital East Kilbride many long years ago  :D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 20:45:13 »
Hey Wicker! That was just my silly sense of humour.  :-[I chose to live in Edinburgh. I love living in Edinburgh and in fact I can think of few cities where I'd rather live.
Mmmmmm... maybe Venice ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 20:51:00 »
hi moudie,
im in gartocher road in the east end of glasgow. 5 mins drive from the weans school. i've had my plot just over a year and feel im winning the battle to de- junglify it!!

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 23:52:07 »
I have to dejunglify my plot every spring...........well the wife does most of it as she actually enjoys weeding  ??? :-X

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 16:32:26 »
What is a Weegie????  never heard that in Reporting Scotland, have I?

Live in the Borders.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 16:38:43 »
Glas weegie an  ;D ( an Edinburgh insult I believe  ;))

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 21:54:24 »
They love us weegies really :P

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 22:34:19 »
Only 2 types of weegies- norweigans and glasweigans- i should put that on wikipedia :D
Both of my parents and most of my family hail fae glasgow- i was born in wick and live in aberdeen- got an allotment in hilton
I LOVE OP AMPS!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 22:38:02 »
Too right they'd better love us weegies. There's an awful lot of us in Embra.  ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 13:28:39 »
Hi there.  Another newbie here based in Hillington (just along the M8 from weegieville).

No allotment, but a 20'x20' (west facing) back garden just begging to be turned into one (i hope that allows me to stay on your board  ::) )

Once the shed is up, i intend to get out there and put some hard work in to turn my nice and solid clay into a something marvellous.

So while I'm here, a question about well rotted manure ..... where can i find some ?  Any suggestions gratefully received.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 17:54:31 »
Local farms and riding stables. Sometimes you get ads in Post Ofiice, local free paper, evening paper etc.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 20:12:49 »
thanks for your suggestion.  i've already advised "heem" that we're going for a drive on sunday and hopefully by then the shed base will be complete and the empty hardcore sack will be strategically placed in the back of the car.

my poor car thought it was a sports model when it was born.  i shifted four loads of tree last weekend and now manure.  i think i would probably do better with a van.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 20:53:12 »
You could do to start a compost heap as soon as you can too. You can put all your vegetable and fruit peelings, egg shells and teabags and coffee grounds in it as well as garden rubbish. When it all rots down it is great for enriching the soil.

There are loads of folk on this site who don't have allotments: a garden or even window-boxes are just as good. I think the main requirement is being passionate about growing things. :) :) :) :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 07:06:14 »
oh, i have a dalek already and it's about half-full but it's not doing anything wonderful that i can see.  i keep prodding it and occasionally watering it, but i'm trying to persuade "heem" (again) to stand akimbo and do his wee-ing thing to help the pile along.  :P  i think the dalek is going to have to make way for the shed though, so it would be a good time to empty and refill.

i was off sick yesterday and desperate to get out and have a dig but made do with washing loads of pots off ready for sowing.  No point digging over anything until i've got the shed up as everything will just get trodden down again in the process and the final position of my veggie beds are largely dependant on which side of the garden the shed ends up.

i wish i was handier with a saw though.   :P

the one thing that i'm worried about most though is the lack of sun  :o  i'm an exile, and have been living up here for a couple of years now and haven't seen any sun since i moved.  well, not strictly true but only the odd day here and there which worries me.  Don't think Alan T did a bit on the long, grey and very damp season in this particular gardener's year.

and my mate to lives over east made me so jealous with being snowed in.  we only got a light sprinkling which was gone in a day.  we just get grey  :-\

thanks for listening to me waffle.  and thanks for your help.

;D

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 22:54:56 »
HI EVERYONE, Im a weegie too, but now living in N.Ireland. Is it just me or are we an adventuring lot?  and can someone please tell me...IS GLASGOW EMPTY YET?   ;D  On a serious note, I really miss rolls'n fritters and the great variety of shops, what does everyone else miss? ;)
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal