Author Topic: Squash nest box  (Read 1988 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Squash nest box
« on: April 10, 2006, 14:49:28 »
Couldn't wait any longer! I wanted to get at least one of each variety chitting early, here they are in the perfect 'nests'. Nothing sacred in my household ;D

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 15:51:42 by supersprout »

marshwiggle

• Not So New ...
Re: Squash nest box
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 20:42:21 »
What happens next please?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 22:17:59 »
They would look interesting floating in a G&T!  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 22:23:36 »
Hi marsh, will wait til a little sprout is out, and pot up. I will do another planting at the usual time, in ten days or so - this is the 'earlies'.
LOL@e-j, you might feel a bit seedy next day

Arg :-[

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 12:45:06 »
This is going to be my first year doing squash, is it necessary to do this, can you tell me ~ why not put straight into seed compost?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 12:50:59 »
Quite right tilts, I normally do for my main planting - the less seeds get faffed around with, the better I think. But I wanted some guaranteed early plants of a big range this year, so am chitting a couple of each earlier than usual. It's an experiment. Sometimes I let my compost get a little damp and the seeds sulk and go mouldy, so I hope to ensure there are viable sprouts before these early ones go in the compost. I have also planted squash directly outside in mid-May in the ground :o for later plants, but it's hard to wait isn't it?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 18:18:35 »
I put them somewhere really warm to germinate; that seems to be the key. Once they've started, temperature doesn't seem to be quite as critical.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 20:11:01 »
I'm sure you're right about the initial sprouting temp being the one to achieve Robert. They are in the warmest room in the house to sprout. I wanted to be sure I could see them 'break cover', then they'll go on the windowsill in pots with the toms, marigolds, artichokes etc. etc. and take their chance like the rest of us!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 12:00:57 »
for two years running we've just shoved them in some potting compost and left them in the kitchen.  The patty pans were enormous and grew like mad (inc the fruits); the autum squash were low fruiters and the butternut were average.

This year ours are healthy and 4" tall; when they get a bit bigger we'll pot them on (peat pot included for minimum root distubance) till they're about 10" hgih, then they'll go into the ground.

does the chitting produce a higher yield or is it just to get a few early plants in?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 12:50:29 »
It's to do with wanting early examples of these squash. I don't think there's any advantage in chitting except to be absolutely sure as soon as possible that the 'early' squash get started - if I had two non-viable seeds and no sprout shows, I can get new ones started in four or five days, rather than a fortnight! I don't usually like fussing over me veg ;)
First to chit went into pots this morning:
Crown Prince
Thelma Sanders
Honey Boat Delicata
Black Futsu
Buttercup

Watching the rest like a hawk!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal