Author Topic: Somerset allotmenteers  (Read 5216 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
Re: Somerset allotmenteers
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 10:36:32 »
Hi there, believe me you are not alone out there being young, now withought getting flammed i shall give you my age 23, yes 23!! and believe me i love it, started in my parents garden and out grew it there so my fiance and myself decided to get a plot and cannot be happier.

didnt really think we would grow as much as we did but by god we did.

we had spuds from may to september on just early varieties  :o, onions, parsnip, celery, carrot, shallot, garlic, broad beans, some peas (really not many at all), sublime rhubarb, raspberries, sweetcorn and my pride and joy is squash's and pumpkins, really couldnt believe we grew over 19 of them and 1 at 19lb's

Really dont see me ever not having one now TBH, even bought ourselves our own rotavator off of ebay  :D

welcome

milla

• Muddy with Milla
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 21:03:42 »
Hi, i've just got my plot in Weston-super-mare. I'm in my early 30s and hopefully going to be sharing the work with a couple of friends! I've only been to the plot once, so i'm a total beginner at this allotmenteering business.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 21:09:45 »
welcome, milla, wow, there are so many new plot holders here, there must be something in this allotment lark !!   ;D ;D
hope you have lots of fun  :)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 21:17:40 »
I'm in my thirties (well at least for a few more months :-\). My daughter, who's 8,  doesn't want me to turn 40 as she's convinced I'll turn into  an old lady then ::) :'(
If you can't spend much time on the allotment, I recommend growing squashes. Just dig a big hole for each one and fill it with manure/compost, mulch the surrounding area with cardboard, straw or anything else that takes your fancy and then just watch the squashes take over. It's fun growing lots of different ones!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 21:19:12 by dandelion »

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 23:18:08 »
Well Dandilion, I'm 42 and dont think I'm an old lady yet. On the other hand, maybe the kids think differently.

I've just got my allotment as the garden just isnt big enough. I'm hoping to grow lots of squash and pumkin this year as I will have the space. They make great soups. Will also get a recipe and try pumpkin pie. ;D

cj :)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 13:11:06 »
Hi digging up an old post (yeah I know bad pun!) but wanted to say hello.

I am on the waiting list for an allotment in W-S-M and have applied for the Locking site as it's on the way home from work, I'm 32 so still thinking of myself as young but my son thinks otherwise lol.

I rent my house so don't think the landlady would appreciate me turning the garden over to veg so will take the plunge with a lottie and see what happens.
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 02:57:59 »
I think I am one of the younger holders on our site, but @  I am not that young  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal