Author Topic: Should I ................?  (Read 1544 times)

daisydoo

• Not So New ...
  • Leeds
Should I ................?
« on: January 11, 2006, 13:56:08 »
I have Autumn onion sets and Garlic planted in modules at home and are all showing green shoots. Is it better to get them in the ground on the lottie when we have had a few dry days or leave them as they are until spring. This will be my first full year having the lottie and I'm getting impatient for Spring to arrive.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Should I ................?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 14:08:52 »
Mine were planted out in November so in theory yours should be OK to plant out now but as they have been grown with some protection I would wait until the worst of the weather has gone, I'd put them out around mid-Feb probably.

I've been growing this stuff for quite a few years & I still get a little impatient for Spring to get going myself, only a few weeks to go now :)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 14:41:04 »
Don't forget garlic likes at least one frosty period to aid in splitting into cloves.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 19:12:33 »
I did the same this year on my new allotment... I planted my 93 cloves of garlic in seed trays (at home)  until I had got the "correct" bed dug for them down at the lottie.  About 10 days ago, I too wondered whether to leave them until spring.  I am GLAD I didn't,because even though some of them had very short green shoots (hardly showing) (tho some were 6" high) ALL of them when taking them out had roots of 8" long or more... I had to gently unweave the roots and did deep holes...

I would say get them in, ASAP when you can see there will be a few days of nights with no frost (to allow them to settle in before getting their required frost/very cold weather!)

mat

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 20:14:40 »
Ahhh 93 cloves, someone after my own heart ... I only have about 70 cloves this year, I hope to have at least 100 next year ... yes will use them all, we had fresh gazpacho tonight for tea, with extra garlic - requested by my 16 yr old daughter !!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 21:01:01 »
I planted my garlic direct into the ground in October/November, albeit in Scotland. Is there any advantage in planting it in modules and then planting out? If so, when?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 23:15:00 »
No ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 23:58:17 »
By the way, not all strains of garlic need a frost to assist seperation of the bulb & induce clove formation

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 07:07:17 »
I agree with 4 or 5 mild days. Garlic is v hardy and it would mean you  were getting ahead.
Only thing is can you trust the weather forecast coldest winter since 63 etc etc????
Chris Pea

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal