Author Topic: To rotavate or not?  (Read 17838 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
To rotavate or not?
« on: January 10, 2006, 19:24:24 »
Following on from the "dig or no dig?" thread, would you recommend rotavating, and if so in what situations and at what time of year? If this is a repeat, maybe someone could give me a link to a previous thread.

monkey puzzle

• Not So New ...
Re: To rotavate or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 19:36:00 »
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, however, if you've bags of spare time you could dig it a little at a time (weather permitting).   Will likely take you all winter but is cheaper than gym fees.  If ground is too wet you could damage the soil structure (if you're as tubby as me, that is).

Rotovators chop up the roots of perennial weeds and spread them all over the place.  How about trying to remove the worst of the perennial weeds by hand (if you can spot 'em at this time of year), then send the rotovator in.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 19:41:00 »
There are a few threads, if you do a search. Most people will say no, don't do it, but mine was rotavated twice before I took over in late August and I am still grateful for it - while the rotavation chops up perennial roots, it also made the ground very easy to work. As I was taking things very slowly, first clearing some brambles in the part that wasn't rotavated, then digging over one bed at a time on the bit that had been, I found that it was worthwhile to make the work a bit less backbreaking. However, that was my particular experience on a particular plot at that time of year; if you have boundless energy and time I'd say do it the hard way, as I still have to dig out all the perennial roots now they've grown back!

On the upside, I sowed green manure (ryegrass) on the area that had been rotavated which I knew I wouldn't get to last year, and that seems to have kept down the rest of the weeds incredibly successfully, though I do get laughed at for having a small football pitch (it's all you can see from the main path).
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 19:44:02 »
Rotovators chop up the roots of perennial weeds and spread them all over the place.  How about trying to remove the worst of the perennial weeds by hand (if you can spot 'em at this time of year), then send the rotovator in.

I think this is one of the main reasons given NOT to rotovate. Also it damages the soil structure I think.

Someone told me last year they'd had a bit of their allotment rotovated that DID have some couch/bindweed, and afterwards they raked and raked and successfully got out most of the bits of root. Think this was only one bed though.

I think my head says 'don't rotovate' but with a new allotment to dig over, if anyone offered me the use of one right now I'd probably say yes.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 20:03:41 »
I find rotovators really difficult to use successfully and I hate the noise and the stench of petrol fumes. I think I'd rather just dig, sweat and listen to the birds. Sometimes start out with the pickaxe if the ground is particularly hard. I also have a tool like a sort of back-to-front spade called an azada which is incredibly good for breaking up soil. You swing above your head and then chop into the earth so none of the backache associated with digging. It also seems to be incredibly fast compared to digging.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 20:15:21 »
My neighbour has a big french tool (that's what he calls it!) which is shaped like an azada but is bigger and is pronged like a giant rake. It's astonishing watching how quickly he can clear part of his plot, going through embedded couch at a rate of 6 sq m in around half an hour without breaking sweat (the width of the plot). Then you use it to rake out all the roots into neat little piles. Really want to pinch it but he's taken it home to sharpen and doesn't come up to the site that often. If I had one of those or knew where in the UK to buy one I'd say never rotavate. However, if, like me, you're hopeless and are beginning your allotment career clutching nothing but a pair of your mother's elderly secateurs, get the nice man with the big machine.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 20:27:15 »
Well, I'm a fan of rotavators.  We acquired an old but solid machine when we took over our plot last year.   She's called Doris (the rotavator, not the plot).

BUT I wouldn't use her on ground that was full of weeds.  We dug that over and removed the perennial weeds by hand.  The machine is great for digging over a fairly clean bed after the crops have been removed, and superb at preparing beds for planting, so I think that rotavators have their place especially during the busy preparation and planting season.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 20:31:32 »
Hi bupster,

very desirable Azadas are here,

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

near cromer in norfolk.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 20:35:02 »
For my part, on the advice of the Allotment Site, I had my plots rotavated by the council.  I wish I hadn't now as it's damaged the soil structure.  Parts of the plots have gone incredibly sticky and muddy in parts whilst the soil in other areas is an incredibly fine tilth.  As the location of the site is incredibly exposed and windy, I have a horrible feeling that parts of my plots are going to dry out and blow away! :'( 

Overall though, it's fantastic rich loamy soil, and having read the article in KG magazine by Bob Flowerdew, I'm going to let it go back to how it was and let me digging out the potatoes every 3 or 4 years on the rotation plan take care of it.  If you can't manage to do it by hand and you are going to rotavate, then I would recommend only rotavating where you are going to grow veg and leave the rest of the plot alone and sow Green Manures there to cut down as compost or to use as a mulch.

Actually I can see my Allotment neighbours forming a Lynch Mob so I'd better get out of here...  ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 20:37:27 »
Thanks, Col. The tool I'm thinking of is like a long draw fork but with a much bigger head. It scared the bejesus out of me until I saw it in action.  :o

Caroline, you don't say what state your plot's in. Is it hideously overgrown?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 20:50:57 »
I got mine from get digging. I've got a medium azada and a right-angled fork. They're really good IMHO.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 22:02:58 »
I  love my rotovator ;D-but the warnings are true-once made the mistake of not clearing perennial weeds-still paying for it in some parts

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 22:14:33 »
It's quite easy to remove perennial weeds using a rotavator, you just need a little patience.
I use 2 different rotavators on my plots, the soil on both consists of stony clay, with the addition of organic matter the soil structure is one of the best on the whole site.
In autumn I plough the whole lot up using a ridging attachment, this allows the frost to do it's stuff, in the spring it breaks down beautifully when I go over it with the slasher tines.
Once you have learned the different techniques it really is the best way of cultivating your plot 8)

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 07:13:48 »
I think the decision to rotavate is v dependant on your type of soil .I have a very light soil and it would get more dusty if I rotavated. This seems to be why I have problems with swedes sproutsetc etc.Obvoiously mine does not need breaking up.
Others on the plot do rotavate and do have very limited success with the above crops.
Chris Pea

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 08:41:24 »
It's all about how You use your rotavator...Keep your speed down and You wont finish up with dust...As with all machines once You  get used to a rotavator and let the machine do the work It is a valuable aid on Your lotty ...Jim
Cheers .. Jim

amphibian

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 18:40:03 »
Thanks, Col. The tool I'm thinking of is like a long draw fork but with a much bigger head. It scared the bejesus out of me until I saw it in action.  :o

Caroline, you don't say what state your plot's in. Is it hideously overgrown?

Like the Chiilington 6159C/4P as found at the very bottom of this page?

Has anyone got any idea of where you can buy these?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 18:44:51 by amphibian »

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 20:39:53 »
Tools like this used to be known as Canterbury hoes. Googling might bring up some other sources. Couldn't you e-mail Chillingtons to find out who sells their tools?

amphibian

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 20:54:28 »
Tools like this used to be known as Canterbury hoes. Googling might bring up some other sources. Couldn't you e-mail Chillingtons to find out who sells their tools?

Cheers.

I have emailed them, I have heard they sell them directly, but only in boxes of 12 heads--I shall have to wait for their reply to see if this is true.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 22:06:00 »
Amphib,

The big French tool, which I borrowed today (it is fantastic), has six huge prongs, and the prongs themselves are bent over at a right angle, like a giant lethal very sharp rake that's mated with a pitchfork. It clears couch grass like nothing else - the whole turves come up and you just use it to rake out the roots. I estimate I dug over about three times more than I'd normally do in the same time, and my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as usual. Neighbour said he bought it in France, has never seen one like it here.

amphibian

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 23:57:09 »
Amphib,

The big French tool, which I borrowed today (it is fantastic), has six huge prongs, and the prongs themselves are bent over at a right angle, like a giant lethal very sharp rake that's mated with a pitchfork. It clears couch grass like nothing else - the whole turves come up and you just use it to rake out the roots. I estimate I dug over about three times more than I'd normally do in the same time, and my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as usual. Neighbour said he bought it in France, has never seen one like it here.

???

I want one.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal