Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 21588 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
What are you reading?
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:12:46 »
Whilst out shopping for books for my two children I bought myself a book which I had read in my very early childhood.  "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton. It's actually the "Faraway Tree Collection" .  I've found myself thoroughly enjoying the trip back into my childhood through reading this book and following the adventures of Bessie,Jo and Fanny (now theres a name I'll bet won't make a come back!).

I had a conversation over Christmas about books we read as kids. A relative had picked up an award winning book her 13 year old was reading. It is aimed at his age group. She was quite shocked to find strong swearing twice by the second page.

My relative's defining book which she read as a teenager was Roots. I have wracked my brains to think which was mine. I've always enjoyed fantasy fiction and escaped into them so when I came to read To Kill a Mockingbird it stuck out in my mind. Made me look out from myself I think.

Later in my 20's I moved on to spy stories. Len Deighton in particular. Having watched a programme about him the other night I've been spurred on to re-read all those Len Deighton books I have stashed up in the loft. Also I was collecting them in hardback...only from car boots and second hand shops though,that is my rule. I've seen a few holes in my collection.

The next book to knuckle down with is The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail by Michael Baigrant,Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. A book I've tackled twice before and failed to finish. Now I have the big fat hardback with extra material and I'm determined to do it!

I want to read Moby Dick. That's the one that has got away...so far.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:36:11 »
I'm currently reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens, inspired by seeing the wonderful BBC series before Christmas.

Before that I really enjoyed The Lady and The Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier. I have another of hers The Virgin Blue borrowed from the library to read next.

The first major novel I read as a kiddie was Heidi, and I have fond memories of that. I also used to read a lot of trashy teen series - Babysitters club and Sweet Valley High  :-[

Had a bit of a horror phase in my late teens and early twenties, and read a whole lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Early twenties onward discovered Jane Austin etc and have had a real English 'classics' phase, with Jayne Eyre, some Thomas Hardy, Vanity Fair and some more Dickens thrown in.

Have always enjoyed a bit of fantasy and first read the Hobbit when quite small and progressed on to Lord of the Rings in early teens. Have re-read LOTR around once a year or so since then. Discovered The Magician thanks to an ex-boyfriend, and have read most of Raymond E Feists work. Also enjoy the Harry Potter series. A fairly recent discovery for me is Robyn Hobb, and I have really liked her 'farseer' series as well as some of her works as Megan Lindholm.

Also read Ben Elton's The First Casualty not long before Christmas and thought that was pretty good.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 12:46:15 »
I remember my friend and I always played The Faraway Tree at primary school. She played Silky (?) as she had blond hair, but I can't remember who I was!

I currently have several books on the go...

Creative Vegetable Gardening by Joy Larkcom
Witchcraft through the Ages (a history of witchcraft)
(can't remember what it's called) book about Malta during WW2 (my dad was born there in 1941)
Haunted by Chuck Palaniuk
The White Godess by Robert Graves
The Modern Antiquarian by Julian Cope

Just a few then....

The last book I completed was Life Interrupted by Spalding Gray (so sad) and before that A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick.
gone to pot :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 13:07:23 »
Moggle I had completely forgotten about Heidi ! That is a blast from the past.

I read Great Expectations earlier this year and was well and truely amazed that I didn't finish it the first time round. I suppose I had other fish to fry when I was a teenager and books were left alone for a bit.

Never read Harry Potter or seen any of the films. Thought about cheating and getting the audio versions. Is it cheating? I don't know why I think that?

Yes Silky is in the Faraway Tree Aqui! I wonder who you were?  I used to have more than one book on the go but I'm being strict with myself in order to make myself finish them.

I must catch up with Joy Larkcom. I keep promising myself that.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 13:20:58 »
I just love biographies or auto/bio. I really like TRUE stories, it can be  war.. peace..Royalty. At the moment I am reading Next to you..Caron's Courage by Gloria Hunniford. Although sad in parts it does tell the story of  Caron's determination to stay alive as long as possible for her family. Also some light hearted sections in the book..which I am really enjoying.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 13:25:51 »
Well I'm rereading Anne Rice....sorry...I just think she's such a vivid storyteller...
I've just finished the Faraway Tree, Heldi!! Well not me, reading it to the kids, I had to pin them down at the start, but within a few mins they loved it.

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 13:27:06 »
My favourite childhood book was The Wind In The Willows, I still have the copy my Dad used to read to me, I have quite a collection of them now, too. Always saddened me a little bit that my children don't like it as much as me! I like fiction mainly, murder mysteries etc, I'm reading Dick Francis and PG Wodehouse at the minute, I always revert to PG when I'm tired or stressed, always guaranteed a chuckle.  :) I also enjoyed The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 13:39:52 »
I read the three Faraway tree books with my six year old son a few months back and we both enjoyed them. It's funny how you start reading a story and even though I hadn't seen the book for nearly thirty years, you still know what's going to happen. I wonder if there is any connection between Silky's google buns and the search engine?

Usually have several books on the go. Current reading is 'Treasure Island' - Robert Louis Stevenson (bedtime reading for kids), 'All quiet on the orient express' - Magnus Mills (re-reading this - it's very funny),  Julian Cope's 'Megalithic European' (more of a dip in and out book) and a book on Persian Gardens from the library.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 13:42:55 »
Just finished the wonderful Ingo by Helen Dunmore - allegedly a kids book but don't believe it, now being read by my daughter - and My Roots by Monty Don, a collection fo his Observer columns.

Now started Sarah Raven's Great Veg Plot, I Coriander by someone whose name I can't remember, the latest issue of Hortus (a brilliant gardening quarterly) and the catalogue for the Titian exhibition from a couple of years ago! That should keep me busy... :o

Aqui - the Modern Antiquarian's brilliant innit, and you can use it for weightlifting too!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 13:48:06 »
Ceratonia - I haven't got the Megalithic Europe yet - must put it on my list. I had a flick through it in the book shop and was glad to see Malta there.

Rob - it's a great book - not much good for reading on the train, though! Makes a good door stop too!

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 13:55:12 »
Ceratonia - I haven't got the Megalithic Europe yet - must put it on my list. I had a flick through it in the book shop and was glad to see Malta there.

It does indeed.  We went to Malta last year and visited Ggantija and other bronze age sites and it was only when I got home that I realised Mr. Cope had written about them. His autobiography is a pretty funny read, too, although I am still amazed that he can remember any of it.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 14:35:51 »
I am totally ashamed to say that I hated reading with a passion until I was in my early 20's.  Have made up for it since then mind you.  I enjoy most things.  Love the books by Rosmunde Pilcher, Marcia Willet (a.k.a Willa Marsh)  Anything to do with gardening.  All the Harry Potters  :-[   The early Wilbur Smiths.  Fabulously atmospheric storyteller.  I really enjoyed the Dan Brown books especially The Da Vinci Code.  Am now reading 'The Two of Us' The John Thaw Biography by his wife Sheila Handcock, and Secrets of the Code... by Dan Burstein  hard reading so far but I am enjoying it.

Doris, I forgot all about the Celestine Prophecy.. couldn't put it down and read it all in one sitting.  I also loved the Shell Seekers..  going to see the play with Susannah York in Llandudno on 4th Feb.... cant wait.  If you love Rosmunde Pilcher then give Marcia Willet a try I'm sure that you would like her too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 21:29:20 by Mimi »
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 15:08:09 »
I'll read almost anything - favourite when young "The Water Babies" - I cried!  Most unexpected pleasure recently was "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" I simply loved it and couldn't put it down - still makes me think...

Currently reading the last in a trilogy written by Jessie Smith about her life with Scottish travelling people - nothing glamorous in her life and just shows how we discriminate against "our own" people.

Favourite to pop in and out of is collection of short stories "Close Range" Wymoing stores by Annie Proulx which incidentally contains Brokebank Mountain the current "big" film - the story for which is only just over 30 pages long!

Am waiting impatiently for Mr W to finish The Commanchees - History of  People.......like true (or could be true) tales about people anywhere
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 15:18:31 »
I got Bury Me At Wounded Knee for xmas. Still reading it, but it makes me very angry.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 15:31:59 »
Got that too Ace - Mr W very fond of reading about Native American culture historical and current - and you are right, does make you angry!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 15:53:01 »
Mimi. I enjoyed The two of us. I lent it to my sister-in-law. She is visiting from Kent on Thursday and is returning it., Good book :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 15:57:01 »
 I liked the book curious incident Wicker but found it very distressing.  :'(
On Hols read Martina Coles new one, I didn't think she could possibly put any more swearing into one of her books but she managed! :o
One of my faves years back was the Shell Seekers, loved the Celestine Prophecy, now bookless and wondering what type to read, it is nice to finally get reading in the winter months!
Favorite childrens book were any of the famous five ;D And swallows and amazons, my kids didn't like them at all! ;D ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 16:03:28 »
DP. That made me grin. My 83year old sister buys every one of Martina Cole's books. I had never read any of her books. When I went to stay she gave me three to bring home. When I started Reading I thought "Does my 83yr old really like this type of book?" Mind you I still read all of them ::) ::)Was it "The Know" that you read on holiday? Although I think Joyce has got another one which she bought from W.H.Smith's when I was down with her in October.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 16:06:20 »
Doris - I loved Swallows and Amazons too - I think that was after my Faraway Tree stage. I also played S&A...!

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 17:45:09 »
I wasn't allowed to read Enid Blyton   :(  but I made up for it in my 20s. Loved Swallows & Amazons, and most of those but my fave book as a kid was The Secret Garden - I still adore it.

I'm currently reading an Erica James book (easy reading), a Minette Walters and next I've got Mark Wallington's The Day Job: Adventures of a Gardener
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal