Author Topic: weird crown type thingy...  (Read 1562 times)

daveandtara

• Acre
weird crown type thingy...
« on: January 09, 2006, 18:33:41 »
one corner of our plot has hiding under a jungle of overgrown horseradish, rhubarb and couch grass. today we finally got around to clearing it and we found a weird crown type thingy!
looks a bit like a giant rhubarb crown. maybe 12 inches across and standing about 12 inches above the ground at it's highest point, it is very dark red. the buds/shoots just emerging are bright orange!  :o
don't want to dig it out in case it's something fantastic, but scared to leave it in case the orangeness turns out to be deadly contagious mould or disease  :-\

any ideas?

Dave & Tara xx

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: weird crown type thingy...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 18:57:44 »
Can you get a picture of it please?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 20:04:47 »
It certainly sounds like rhubarb; I've known old and neglected crowns get like that. But a pic would help.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 22:06:07 »
Hi ,D and T...Sounds like rhubarb to me ..A mature crown ..Cover it with an upside down dustbin ....That should force well..Jim

Cheers .. Jim

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:23:06 »
thanks guys!
if it is a neglected rhubarb crown then what constitutes intensive care for rhubarb?
i understand that forcing can be stressful for the plant, seems a bit mean if the poor thing has been neglected  :'(

or am i just being stupidly sentimental?

Tara xx

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:32 »
Hello Tara,

I'd say rhubarb for sure. I'd split it and get more crowns for your money. Found this excellent advice on the web:

Dividing can be done either in the spring or the fall with equal success, but I have found early spring is best. I wait until early growth is just starting so I can see where to best divide the root mass. Dig up the crowns and roots being careful not to damage the crown. Cut the roots into 4 to 8 pieces. It is recommended to split dormant crowns between large buds or "eyes" so that at least a 2-inch cross section of storage root is left with each bud. Be careful of is not to break off the delicate buds which are easily broken, but otherwise the roots are quite tough and will tolerate quite a bit of rough handling. Very small buds will give small plants for the first few years after planting, while four to ten new roots can usually be obtained from crowns that have been grown a few years. Root pieces should be protected from drying or freezing if they are not to be planted immediately.  Crowns should not be divided from diseased plants

I used a sharp spade to split mine and mulched the re-planted sections with plenty of compost...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:10:58 »
I think by 'neglected' it is inferred that the plant has been left to its own devices, rather than deliberately cultivated, and fed with manure etc. The plant itself sounds quite strong, and I would be inclined to follow terrace max's advice on dividing, unless you fancy an early crop, in which case choose the forcing route ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 18:37:51 »
Dig it up, split it, and throw out any really old stuff; it's the younger roots that you want. Plant the roots about four feet apart, mulch with any organic stuff you can; the more the merrier. I use rotted grass cuttings, but anything will do as it's all goodness. Give it time to recover; don't expect too much of a crop this year. I moved mine early last spring and just left it alone, as it came back quite weakly at first. By the end of the season it was looking really strong again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal