Author Topic: Well done Dan  (Read 6138 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Well done Dan
« on: January 06, 2006, 14:10:38 »
I would just like to say well done to Dan for being so responsive to the needs of us board users.  I do not keep animals of any sort so will not use this board much but I think we are very lucky to have Dan as our moderator - we put him through hell and he puts up with most of it.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Well done Dan
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 15:00:22 »
I don't keep any animals either (unfortunately) but am really looking forward to reading the interesting posts that no doubt will appear on this new thread before long.

I'd like to add my thanks to Dan also - agree with r.c. that we must give him a real 'hair tearing' time on a regular basis!! - this is a wonderful group....big thanks...H.P.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 22:30:56 »
This should be an interesting addition; thanks, Dan. I've been planning to post pics of the bees through the season, but at the moment they're warmly clustered in the depths of the hives and there's nothing to show.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 23:00:41 »
This should be an interesting addition; thanks, Dan. I've been planning to post pics of the bees through the season, but at the moment they're warmly clustered in the depths of the hives and there's nothing to show.

I'd love to keep bees, but it doesn't seem terribly straight forward any more with varroa. I don't suppose there will ever again be such as thing as organic honey thanks to the varroacides: the mesh method of getting rid of the things doesn't seem to be 100% effective. Poor bees. 

(It's a very frightening thought that without the capability to make these pesticides, honey bees in Europe may well die out and then there would be a complete and utter farming disaster. )

Sadly I can't have them on the lottie and the house has a restrictive covenant against all forms of livestock so despite the house opposite (different builder) having chickens, we never can... (That and we're absolutely *surrounded* with oilseed rape, and I can do without needing a road drill to get at the honey! ;D)

I guess if you want to reply to me then we ought to start a proper thread! :)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:18:31 »
Thanks Dan! Didn't notice the board straight away but I got stuck straight into it as soon as I did!

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 19:39:56 »
Yes thanks dan- the site improvements look great, hope they werent too costly.
I would love to keep some bees and chickens, but lack of space prevents- i was thinking though- farmers would be happy to have bees on their land, was thinking of asking around
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 20:52:36 »
Bees take up very little space, but you do need vehicle access; hives get extremely heavy. If you're interested and you're not in the local Beekeepers' Association, you need to join.

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:35:29 »
Cool, thanks for this Dan  8)

I can post more pics of chickens now!

(and horses, and Claude)

Loz
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:41:34 by loz »
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 11:03:12 »
Thanks from me too, Dan.

Loz, the pics are lovely.  Is the first one a "Silkie" bantam?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 12:01:24 »
Great pics.

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 12:47:26 »
Thanks Pauline

At over 12in high and topping the scale at 4lbs, she is definitely large  ;D

If you look here: http://www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk/poultryalbum.htm page 2, miniature v large, you can see the size difference in my lines.

As well as some other very lovely chookies - including Rosebud, named after you know who!

Loz  ;)
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 15:41:52 »
lovely photos Loz :D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 18:35:32 »
Kept animals - hmm - would that include a husband and two kids do you think?   ;D ;D ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 21:51:09 »
Kept animals - hmm - would that include a husband and two kids do you think?   ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D are they productive? mine mostly aren't! ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 22:25:34 »
Of course not!!  They just eat the produce!!  Ahh bless!  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 08:52:13 »
Well I guess that makes them productive then, what else would we do with all the stuff we grow and make ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal