Author Topic: Everything broke today  (Read 24153 times)

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
Everything broke today
« on: January 03, 2006, 21:29:35 »
Not just on the computer, (bike had a flat tyre >:( )
got 1 trojan that downloaded 20 more viruses and its taken about 5 different programs to kill them all-
Spybot
AVG
Ewido
Hijack this
Smitrem
Id like to know what other folks use, and if i can get a single program to do all this stuff- one that works!
Cheers,
John :o
I LOVE OP AMPS!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: Everything broke today
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 21:58:08 »
sophos.  it updates about 4 times a day usually.

i also have it set upto to scan all programs coming onto the PC, so i dont get many/any viruses.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 17:25:19 »
AVG                                           -- Virus software
Spybot                                       --Malware
Webroot Spy sweeper              --Malware
Ad-aware                                  --Malware
CCleaner                                   --Internet and cookie cleaner
CwShredder                              --Virus and malware

I have never trusted a simple program to get everything.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 21:42:03 »
There is no single program that'll do the job, unfortunately. You need something for viruses AND something for malware. If you're on XP, Microsoft's own spyware/malware remover has a good reputation and is free (at the moment).

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:18:41 »
Hi, very interested as I have Avast anti virus, this morning it said I had a trojan, it only offered to 'sever connection' not delete anything. Is that right? If I delete the file it said will that be ok? Thankyou.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 17:25:40 »
It depends what the trojan does what actions you need to take. If it does offer to delete a file, run the antivirus check again once it's done so to make sure it's gone. Many trojans are just a small number of files well-hidden in your machine - it's what they do when active that's the problem. What's the name of the trojan?

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 11:58:18 »
Hope I don't upset anyone, coming into this thread? :-\  The alert came up again last night, I searched for the file but can't find it. it just offered to sever connection again, it said
File name      *************   [Yoda]
Malware name  Win 32:Trojano-3295[Trj]
Malware type     Trojan Horse

Darent put the file name as it becomes a link on here?
If I run a thorough scan with Avast will that find it, do you think?

Thanks, any help much appreciated  :)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 00:41:09 »
It sounds as though this trojan is using your machine to either steal your address book or send out spam. Run you anti-virus; it needs to find and get rid of the trojan as soon as possible; it will tell you if it has found and eliminated a trojan. If it finds nothing, you'll need to try a different program.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 11:46:32 »
pansy run every bit of spy-ware, virus checker etc you have. update them first and one should be able to get it.

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 21:38:16 »
In relation to the question posted by Pansy can I just add, that some Trojans and viris can embed themselves into your system restore folder and will remain there and be undetected by the usual scanners.
If this is the case you will need to download a free programme called Stinger and run that to find and destroy the pests, but it means closing down your system restore. I know that it can be a pain turning off your system restore as you lose your restore points but it is the only way 
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 19:45:38 »
forgot to mention i use "stinger" as well

Try starting in safe mode then run your scans. You may be surprised how many more items your programs may find.

Glowworm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 22:39:02 »

Run these two and see if anything pops up. They scan and remove.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 13:09:49 »
Zone Alarm is very useful.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 13:54:35 »
Thanks everyone for all your help. We turned off system restore, updated and ran the programmes we had, with no luck. Then I found http://www.ewido.net/en/ and ran the online scan. It found the trojan, and 14 other bits of malware. Since we did this the alert hasn't come again so hopefully we've got it.  Thanks again, you've all been a big help.  :)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 15:32:29 »
Ewido is excellent.  We have that.  Plus another twenty or so ..... it's like getting into fort knox just to read my emails these days.

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 15:59:49 »
I hadn't heard of it, but will use it regularly now, as well as the others we had. Will we ever have enough programmes to keep our pc safe I wonder?

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 20:49:49 »
Hi all
Got me wondering, I just use Norton Systemworks 2002 and Norton Firewall. I only got one trojan when my wife clicked on a warning she should have ignored,but thats another story.
Is my current protection enough or should I be looking at the programmes mentioned above??????
Ivor

Glowworm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 00:11:47 »

I'm not too impressed with any of them. At the recommendation of a computer repair shop I've had to dump a computer as hopelessly contaminated after 4 times being in for repairs - - and I've had my hard drives wiped and clean-installed a total of four times in the last year... and that's including once with a brand new expensive computer running on Windows XP.

And from Day One I've had free and paid-for anti-virus and anti-Malware programmes and Firewalls supposedly guarding my system. They're hardly worth a cracker the lot of them. And yes - I've been scrupulously careful to keep these safe-guards running on the latest anti-virus updates.

I've been on ZoneAlarm-with anti-virus for nearly a year now - and I'll be dumping them as bloody useless so fast they'll see sparks at their end. Four times my hard drive has had to go through expensive re-formatting while ZoneAlarm was supposed to be keeping it safe.

I'll be switching to Norton. Everyone I know who pays for downloaded Norton protection software has had absolutely no problems with their computer.

I also think avast! is a piece of crap. It never reveals anything as being discovered by their scans.

Ad-aware and spybot are my all-time favourites... run their programmes and they always reveal something that needs to be deleted.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 11:30:40 »

Ad-aware and spybot are my all-time favourites... run their programmes and they always reveal something that needs to be deleted.

Hello Glowworm, Ad-aware and spybot are NOT antivirus programs. They provide anti-malware protection only. As does the highly recommended Spy Defense

If you are running Win XP, then using Nod32 will slow down yer PC.

Before you go down the Nod32 route (lashing out hard-earned cash), I suggest you have another try with either of the freebies AVG or Avast. Many folk swear by them, whereas folk I know swear at Norton.

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 13:08:54 »
We used to have Norton, gave it up in the end, we now have Avast which we're very happy with, ours does occassionally find things during scans, or we get an alert somethings been found, and it deletes it no problem. This was the first time we couldn't get rid of it but never had a trojan before. We also have Adaware, Spybot,  BT Yahoo Anti Spy, and also use clean up programmes like Windows Washer, CleanUp and Regcleaner. Its amazing how much they clear off sometimes, when you've been surfing for a while. I'll use Ewido again now, too. Complicated, we'll end up with pcs full of this stuff and no room for anything else!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal