Author Topic: Allotment lawn or grass patch?  (Read 1695 times)

Peapod

• Not So New ...
Allotment lawn or grass patch?
« on: January 03, 2006, 23:58:29 »
My small area of lawn or better still grass patch for 2 chairs plus a small table looks awful this time of year. Any tips on how I can turn this into something that is more like a National Trust advert?

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re: Allotment lawn or grass patch?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:32:09 »
I too have a grass patch (lawn is too good a word) on my plot. I don't think there's much you can do at this time of year. Too cold and wet. Lawns are not even  supposed to be walked on when soaking wet or frozen solid (yeah, right).

Month by month lawn care page here: http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/lawns/lawn_year.htm.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 18:36:39 »
I think the only bit of lawn I would tolerate on my allotment would be chamomile, for where my bench is ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 19:36:54 »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 19:53:19 »
We inherited an allotment that was half laid to lawn because the previous lottie holder had a daughter and she used to come and play on that part.  It has taken us nearly three years to get rid of it and we only have a little bit at the back of our patch now to deal with.  Unfortunately it was couch grass so horrible to dig out, and that is why we have a small patio for our chairs made out of crazy paving slabs, so we don't have to mow any more grass.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal