Author Topic: please delete  (Read 36852 times)

undercarriage plan

Re: please delete
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2006, 21:40:05 »
Yes I've always liked my grunnions... ;D
Yup! Bags!! Can you guess it's winter.... ::) ;)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2006, 21:40:26 »
lottie i never new you looked so pretty  :o :o :o :o why what big wheels you have  ;D ;D ;D ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2006, 21:48:22 »
...so two 'n's in grunion, then?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2006, 21:51:23 »
I don't know!! I'm an aeroplane wheel....honestly.. ::)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2006, 21:55:41 »
the general rule is that where you have a hard vowel sound e.g. 'a' as in apple, then you have a double consonant but where you have a soft vowel 'a' as in aid then the consonant remains single.  Thus you have hopping (hard vowel) and hoping (soft vowel).  Therefore onion, not having (an exception) an 'o' as in not sound can have a single consonant whereas grunnion has an 'u' as in cut so will more than likely require two 'n's.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2006, 21:57:18 »
 ??? 

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2006, 22:01:07 »
I think you'll find it has 1 'n'. I was, of course referring to the well known fish, to wit:

Along southern California’s sandy beaches, from March through September, one of the most remarkable life cycles in the sea is completed; the California grunion comes ashore to spawn. The grunion has been known to many southern Californians for more than 70 years, but there are still those who are skeptical of its existence. To be invited out in the middle of the night to go fishing with only a gunny sack and light for equipment does sound a little ridiculous, but in reality this is the most popular method.

California grunion are small silvery fish found only along the coast of southern California and northern Baja California. Most sportsmen would be unaware of their existence were it not for the unique spawning behavior of these fish. Unlike other fish, grunion come out of the water completely to lay their eggs in the wet sand of the beach. As if this behavior were not strange enough, grunion make these excursions only on particular nights, and with such regularity that the time of their arrival on the beach can be predicted a year in advance. This phenomenon can be seen on many beaches in southern California. Shortly after high tide, on certain nights, sections of these beaches sometimes are covered with thousands of grunion depositing their eggs in the sand.

Grunion hunting has become one of the famous sports of southern California. Since these fish leave the water to deposit their eggs, they may be picked up while they are briefly stranded. Racing for fish spotted far down the beach and trying to catch them by hand provides an exhilarating experience for young and old. The common sight of thousands of people lining the more popular beaches in southern California in anticipation of a grunion run attests to its ever growing popularity. Often there are more people than fish, but at other times everyone catches fish. All that is needed to catch grunion is a valid State fishing license and a willingness to get one’s feet wet.

Fascinating.

I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2006, 22:02:24 »
Blimey Clanger that's dead clever.
Get with the beat Baggy

undercarriage plan

« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2006, 22:04:31 »
OK, I'm lost again, so what has grunions got to do with undercarriages?  ??? and does an undercarriage grunnion have 2 nns?  :'(
And that is a huge quote!  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2006, 22:05:50 »
But Max, is your Grunion a Grunnion or a Groonion?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2006, 22:37:41 »
this post is climbing in the A4A stats!

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2006, 09:54:39 »
anyone making the tea?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2006, 10:50:19 »
Yawn.....black two sugars please... ;D  No snow here Dominique....just blinkin rain again, bang goes trench digging again!! Darn and footle... ;D ;D ;D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2006, 10:54:02 »
iain, will let you know about that fabric, still looking at thicknesses etc. the other stuff was too thin!

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2006, 13:05:11 »
very cold here today , just loft hurling today , can i hurl my rubbish into your trench lottie  ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2006, 13:30:28 »
It's a moat, DIbs....and cos you may, but watch out for bocodiles.... :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2006, 14:44:44 »
the cold miserable rain here has even stopped me emptying the rubble out of my loft lottie.  Himself has just parked a Hazel in the back yard, but in a position I can't see from here & yes, it's too cold & wet to venture out and move it.  That's another set of pot wheelies to buy so I can whizz all the pots around and hang out my washing.

Time for a brew.

Assam ok?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2006, 14:46:49 »
OOoo yes, please!! Peeing down here too, and I have my moat to finish, rockets to launch and carpets to clean.... ::) ;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2006, 15:01:48 »
You'll have to supply the biscuits I'm afraid as I just can't summon the energy to make scones
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2006, 15:08:06 »
No problem, I've found another tin of curred parsnip mince pies and a few sprout vol au vents, we'll dine in style!!  ;D will just have a rummage, see if I can find those carrot souffle sausage rolls....ang on a min... :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal