Author Topic: over wintering verbena  (Read 8855 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
over wintering verbena
« on: January 01, 2006, 10:38:14 »
 Hi all,  :D
                Happy new year to one & all. I grew some verbena boniarensis plants in September, the idea being to overwinter them in my coldframe & plant them out in the spring for an early show this year(nearly said next).  Most of them now look extremely sad & a few have died of completely :( Are these not meant to be overwintered ??? I thought they were perrenial & should have been ok in the coldframe.
                Adrian.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: over wintering verbena
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 10:49:02 »
They are only half hardy, but I leave mine in the ground so I might lose them this year. But not to worry as the are very free with their self seeding and I expect to be potting up lots of seedlings later this year. They will die right back to the ground depending on how old the plant is. They die naturally after about 5 years.

I started using verbena rigida this year planting them to the front of the boriensis, they are a lot shorter and the colour is more vivid, so grab a packet of seeds and try them in the spaces that you loose.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 18:36:09 »
They may sprout again from the base in the spring, Adrian, so Iwouldn't be too hasty in throwing them out.  I have some spare seed which I'd be happy to send you if they do fail.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:55:10 »
 Thanks for the tips, & also the offer of seeds  ;D If I need them georgie I will contact you .
                           Adrian.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 14:35:25 »
Hi Adrian,

Verbena Bonariensis is a Hardy (borderline) Perennial. I grew this from seed 3 years ago and one of my plants will be into its fourth summer this year, other 3 died last year.

I notice from your profile that you are in Surrey. I am in Scotland, 10 miles south of Edinburgh so if they can survive the Winter in my garden then I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about. Verbena Bonariensis dying back in the Winter months is nothing to worry about and you should find that they start to re-grow in the spring. Mine started into new growth in mid May last year (June in the previous 2 years) and self seeded everywhere, you might find yours comes into growth a bit earlier.

They prefer a position in full sun with well drained soil but can cope with a bit of moisture in the soil. To get them through the winter in colder regions it is best to apply a mulch in the Autumn before the soil starts to cool. I have used both bark chippings and home made compost and both have worked. A mulch of no less than 4 inches in cooler parts of the country (recommended by Fothergills).

As I said earlier I have one coming into its fourth growing season here at the bottom of the Pentland hills (east side) with a few self sown that are just coming into their second season. All are still green from about half way down and have so far survived temperatures down to -8C. As long as there is some green on them you should find that they come back next spring.

ps. forgot to say that mine are in the most exposed part of my garden and when the North Wind blows they get the full force of it.

For further information see here :-

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/resultslist.aspx?SearchesID=233616

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 16:27:22 »
Yep have to agree with Twospot, I'm in Kent and have had mine growing in the garden for 3 years now, they do look a bit sorry for themselves this time of year but soon shoot out and up later on.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:42:15 »
It's technically meant to be a tender perennial, but it's perfectly hardy here in Manchester. Mine's in very thick clay soil and tends to start looking a bit sad at this time of year - I cut it to the ground and by early Spring it starts sprouting from the base.

We had a minus 7 degree frost the other night, and it's still alive, so I wouldn't worry too much.. :)

Melanie

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 15:53:48 »
Hi Melanie, According to the RHS Verbena Bonariensis is borderline between fully Hardy and needing some protection over the Winter.

As I said in my previous reply I'm 10 miles south of Edinburgh and have had some in my garden for the last three years which have survived temperatures down to minus 8 and exposure to a Northerly wind but in full sun. Did forget to say that mine are also in a clay soil. It also seeds everywhere in my garden so must be happy.

Grown as a perennial in the USA in USDA zones 7-11 (that's temperatures ranging from plus 4.5C down to minus 17.7C) I know we're much wetter in the UK but I think as long as the ground they're on isn't prone to waterlogging then they should be fine but again I think that also depends on which part of the UK you are in.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 16:05:43 »
Ours have survived, either as plants or as over wintering seeds for the last 10 years and we have had frosts down to -8c (and that was in the greenhouse under the bubble plastic so heaven knows what it was outside). In fact they have become something of a problem, in that they seem to prefer seeding in the paths to anywhere else. In the frames as pot plants, though, they do not seem to be as happy even though the frames are mostly frost free. It could well be that they do not like their roots to be too cold. In the soil they can get their roots down below the normal level at which the soil freezes????????
Gardening is the great leveller.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 16:30:51 »
It could well be that they do not like their roots to be too cold. In the soil they can get their roots down below the normal level at which the soil freezes????????

You're right about that Eric, they don't like getting cold roots. It is recommended that a deep mulch (at least 4 inches) is used in cooler parts of the UK (for ones in the ground that is). I mulch mine and have tried both bark chippings and home made compost and both have worked.

In fact they have become something of a problem, in that they seem to prefer seeding in the paths to anywhere else.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Hopefully the Goldfinches eating all the seeds from mine will help keep them under control.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal