Author Topic: rate of growth  (Read 2731 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
rate of growth
« on: January 01, 2006, 00:59:22 »
I transplanted these seedlings at the same time in the beginning of November:golden nugget pumpkin, sweet potato squash & sugarbaby watermelon.  They are in the same row along a limestone wall.

According to my notes it's the watermelon that should be well on its way.  But it's not.  The watermelon is only 2 inches high while the pumpkin is sprawling away there with loads of flowers & the squach not far behind.

I am probably worrying over nothing.  Will the watermelon eventually catch up or is there something wrong with them?

a bit worried Anna :-\
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: rate of growth
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 01:39:49 »
My first reaction is that they are all just finding their feet, and will all catch up with each other, but lets see if any of the learned people can say ...

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:01:24 »
Perhaps your watermelon is unfortunate enough to be right on top of a piece of limestone? Besides being small does the watermelon look unhealthy in any way? For me all these three plants will flower more or less simultaeneously, about 7 weeks from transplanting, late May for me, early November for you, so your squashes are definitely on schedule.
Incidentally, do you really mean Gold Nugget pumpkin or is it Gold Nugget squash? I haven't been able to find Gold Nugget squash for years and would love to know where to get it from.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 14:57:38 »
Hi John, They are golden nugget pumpkin.  The hard pear shaped pumpkin that is cream in colour.

Anna

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 19:30:07 »
Hi John, They are golden nugget pumpkin. The hard pear shaped pumpkin that is cream in colour.
Anna
This?:
http://specialtyproduce.com/spNetwork.ASP?Item=298&WCI=Frameset&WCE=Main
One site I went too called it Japanese pumpkin which makes me wonder if we are talking about the same variety.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 19:39:46 »
John am I reading it right that you canot get hold of Golden Nugget Squash - this link may not work but it is to an anglo-canadian site so if it does not go to the correct page then try a search.

http://www.eseeds.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8487&prmenbr=127&CGRY_NUM=5355

Its latin name is Curcubita maxima 'Gold Nugget' which is the same as most pumpkins so I would assume they are one and the same.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 19:43:52 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 04:33:57 »
Now that I have done my research I am growing the golden nugget C. maxima which I incorrectly described as pear shaped.  Oh I thought I was growing 'butternut' hee hee.

This 'compact' bush variety is more suited to my small garden.

My catalogue lists them as pumpkin.  The Squash is listed with the zucchini.

Anna

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 10:25:11 »
I found my melons checked really badly when planted as they hate root disturbance. I intend to start them off directly in the ground this year as I probably lost about a month's growth.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 12:19:45 »
John am I reading it right that you canot get hold of Golden Nugget Squash - this link may not work but it is to an anglo-canadian site so if it does not go to the correct page then try a search.

http://www.eseeds.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8487&prmenbr=127&CGRY_NUM=5355

Its latin name is Curcubita maxima 'Gold Nugget' which is the same as most pumpkins so I would assume they are one and the same.
Thanks RC. Problem solved. Over here Suffolk Herbs are brokered through a company I used to deal with. Time to give them a call.
I found my melons checked really badly when planted as they hate root disturbance. I intend to start them off directly in the ground this year as I probably lost about a month's growth.
I do all my melons as transplants and haven't had any noticeable problems in 20 odd years. They have a poor (and fragile) root system initially so, to reduce root disturbance, I tailor my pots to their size- 4 seeds (to get 3 seedlings) per 5cm pot and planted like that. Everything else, except cucumbers, are grown 3 per 7cm pot.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 14:14:19 »
I've never had a problem transplanting cucurbits, make sure you keep them well watered

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal