Author Topic: How do you make a base for a shed?  (Read 4533 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
How do you make a base for a shed?
« on: December 30, 2005, 01:24:32 »
Am planning for shed and greenhouse on the lottie. Both are "virtual" at the moment, but this year will have both, I am determined!!

So the question is: what do I do to make the base for the shed? ???

Assume absolutely no building skills at all (yet) and if you can help, please write instructions in "cat sat on the mat" language!!

Thanks!!

powerspade

Re: How do you make a base for a shed?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 07:24:58 »
I used railway sleepers for the base of my shed. Im hoping to get a small green house this spring and for the base i shall put down concrete footing and 2 layers of brick for foundation

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:44:57 »
There are two basic approaches. One is to have a hardstanding of slabs, these should be laid on sand so that they can be levelled. The shed is then sat on these slabs.
The alternative is to have a beam all round the edge, this can be either preserved timber eg sleepers, or brick or blocks. Some hardcore or sand underneath for drainage will help but is not essential. The base wants to be level before you start to erect the shed.

Both methods are used extensively, I don't have a preference.

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:09:49 »
I found 4 paving slabs when I was clearing my plot - found a flat corner and threw them down there - straight onto the soil. Shed is now sat on them, and by some amazing fluke it perfectly level!!!  ;D

Others on my allotment have sheds on pallets, breeze blocks, bricks, sleepers etc... think the general rule is have it of the wet ground and it won't rot (although having it level is also a bonus!)  ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:17:35 »
We were lucky to inherit lots of slabs at our plot so that's what the shed is standing on. The shed at home is sitting on a platform of railway sleepers. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 10:36:40 »
Mine is on a line of bricks - again just to keep it off the soil ...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 11:22:36 »
Mine is on bricks too which were put onto footings made with concrete (but not by me)  :)

Our communal plot shed was placed directly onto sleepers placed on the ground then levelled.  Trouble with sleepers you need burly blokes to deliver and manhandle them as they weigh a ton  :(

I think Katy if you are doing it alone then slabs would be easiest to get hold of and to lay
I came, I saw, I composted

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 14:56:05 »
 ;D ;D

I knew I could rely on you all!!

Slabs it is then, I think.....or maybe sleepers is I can get them....decisions decisions!!!!!

Thanks lots guys

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 17:52:21 »
There is a site on the net that shows you how to build a base. Just type in 'how to build a base for a shed'
I bought a shed from a place in Brighouse and they put it up for me all included in the price. I asked them how they wanted the base doing and worked from that.

Rosemary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal