Author Topic: container veg  (Read 2103 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
container veg
« on: December 27, 2005, 13:46:55 »
I hoped to have a plot by now but it's not looking good at the moment!  So instead of sitting and sulking (for any longer!) I thought I would have a go at some container veg for this year.  I have a very small garden which is mostly north-facing so the situ is not ideal (however I do have a heated conservatory)but can anyone recommend the best things to have a go at (I am a complete novice where veg is concerned) and when I should start - is there anything I can get going in the conservatory now while I'm still keen?!   :)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: container veg
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 14:16:47 »
Garlic should be ok outside, but may benefit from a couple of weeks indoors to wake the roots up. Onion from seed are suitable to sow now ... and shallots of course.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 14:24:43 »
I would be careful about sowing `veg` now-it`s not just the cold as much as the light.

But you can do a few things,sow mixed salad leaves,herbs such as coriander(all indoors)-they will not get to maturity but will give you a cutting of fresh leaves.

And keep sprouting seeds for salad,mung beans,fenugreek,cereals,chick peas-and even pea seeds-sprouted peas are the `new black` ::)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 14:41:35 »
Excellent and valuable observation cleo, I think we are all guilty of trying to 'rush' the seasons at this time of year ...

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 15:08:42 »
Thanks Guys!  My head tells me it is far too cold and dark for little plants but my heart is niggling to get going on something!  I may just have to satisfy myself with a wander round the garden centre for the time being!   ;)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 15:39:52 »
I know how you are feeling Amanda.  It is a very low time of year  garden and lottie wise and it is easy to feel a bit lost and empty.  I have just come back from my allotment - not to work but to pick some of the few bits of veg I have left as I am going to make a big pan of broth this afternoon.  After I had dug up some leeks and a savoy cabbage and the last of my white turnips, I wandered around a bit.  It is a very cold day here in Whitley Bay with hail stones and wintery showers and my poor allotment looked so sad and empty.  I can't wait to get back into it once this season is over with.  It is a time for just planning and ordering seeds at the moment, I am afraid.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 15:59:10 »
Coo, I've just been outside for a VERY QUICK walk!!  It's only 1 deg outside!!  :o

We had snow this morning, so I think my seeds will HAVE to stay in their packets a little while longer!   ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 16:05:33 »
Yes, without wishing to hang off topic, it is rather chilly, I spent three hours digging and getting cold, and brought back some parsnips to get some more wine on the go, but at the moment I am just staying indoors with the heating on ...

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 16:08:21 »
Chilly here - some snow this morning and more falling now..... actually maybe I am not in such a hurry to get out there and garden!!!    ;)    Brrrr!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 19:10:36 »
I just went to look for a new pair of gardening gloves, since the old ones were really past all use.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 20:05:08 »
As said before you can grow salad leaves indoors in your conservatory. You can also start chitting some seed potato, once chitted grow them in your conservatory in a pot and you should get an early crop of new potatoes.

Later in the season there are all sorts of veggies you can grow in pots outdoors, spinach, chard, carrots, beans. Don't forget about herbs and also some fruit can be grown in pots. And with a heated conservatory you can get an early start with tomatoes, peppers, aubegines, cucumbers, chillies....probably start them around April.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 12:55:55 »
At the mo - hmm - nothing will grow.

But in the next couple of months you can start (indoors) tomatoes, aubergines and peppers for planting out after the frosts.

In April sow some dwarf french beans inside to go out after the frosts.

I had a lot of success with spuds in containers - charlottes grow really well and taste great! I use growbags, which I cut in half to make two containers about the size of a 12-inch pot. Pierce lots of holes in the bottom, then put in some gravel or broken up polystyrene, then a couple of inches of compost for the seed spud to sit in, then cover with a couple more inches. Roll down sides of bag and keep rolling it up and earthing up as necessary. keep well watered when it's hot.

I'm also going to try some pots of salads, herbs and baby carrots on my kitchen windowsill next month. I'll let you know how it goes.

The only thing I've not had luck with in containers is courgettes. I used fairly large containers, about half full with manure, but only got one fruit off each.
gone to pot :D

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 12:58:44 »
Thanks - the pots sound good and am def going to try some carrots and salad leaves, toms and aubergines.  Might also try peppers in the conservatory.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 14:35:33 »
I don't know if it makes very much difference to light levels, but I coated some sheets of cardboard with kitchen foil to reflect extra sun onto seeds at this time of year.

You can also cut the lid and one side off a cardboard box and line the inside with tin foil to get the same effect.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 14:39:45 »
Every bit helps John, it might seem like a tiny amount, but it soon adds up ...

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 19:21:47 »
I sowed a few deep pots of carrots before Christmas, even in a cold greenhouse they have germinated so I hope for an early crop of baby carrots in March.

Choose a variety like Early Nantes and sow thickly as the germination rate will be low.

Keep the frost of them and they will get going for an early crop.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal