Author Topic: Prickly hedges?  (Read 6642 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Prickly hedges?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 20:49:51 »
How does Hawthorn propagate in the wild then?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 23:37:45 »
Seeds. I haven't tried cuttings but most Rosaceae seem to root fairly easily. Orchids are the classic case of a fungus-dependent plant; the seeds are microscopi,c and don't contain stores of food. When they germinate, they're dependent on fungi to provide food, and they need to be provided with the fungus if they're to flourish as pot plants. Hawthorn isn't that extreme, but it's possible that it may do better with the right fungi present.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 17:44:03 »
I agree with the Rosa Rugosa as they will need little attention and will not grow into trees. I started some off from seed that I collected from my plants in the garden. Would you like me to see if there are any spare hips on my plants and send you some?
Ivor

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 22:08:22 »
Hi,
You say its a council hedge? how about getting in touch with the council to repair it or at least give you the plants to do it with. The council have their own gardening department. If it is affecting other lottie holders( children romping) get together to ask for help.
just an idea

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 23:19:41 »
Hi teresa
I don't think we will get much joy from the Council as they can't even repair the fence that borders onto the main road. A while back a car or something crashed into the fence and it has not been repaired and also there is a bus stop at the top and if the kids are waiting for a bus they take delight in breaking a bit more fence,  but we must not blame the little darlings they are just bored and have nothing to do.

Rosemary

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 23:34:05 »
Hi Rose.mary,
Give it a go you have nothing to loose.
Next lottie meeting bring it up and get someone to second you ( a fellow lottie holder) then the committe will have to approach the council in force to repair the fence as well. Better still if your on a council site demand something for your council tax oh I can get going hee hee.
As for the little bored children bless them hide behind something with a water hose and let them have it. hee hee
You could always get the lottie members to use barb wire around the lottie or if the site has loads of money an electric fence?
A gander would be perfect I remember being chased years ago by a neighbroughs one every morning and evening going to school the devil waited for me. The good old days ha ha

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 23:38:06 »
I forgot to say if you want some pyracantha I have the red and orange I can send you some cuttings just pm me.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 09:18:39 »
We ordered blackthorn, hawthorn and hazel from buckingham nurseries, and they arrived yesterday. I would recommend them, the plants look healthy, they were well packed, and the service was friendly too. Not too expensive either. It will be a few years before the hedge gets established as you have to be quite harsh with the pruning to get the plants to bush out, but I'm hoping it will be worth it.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 17:22:13 »
It's worth putting in a formal request ti your council if you want the hedge fixing.  They don't have the resources any more to fix problems just because the problem has arisen - it need to be a) brought to their attention and b) be followed up.

We found all of this out to our cost as somone complained about the hedges along the road boundary of our lotties being too high & the council were duty bound to do something about it.  I won't go into the details of all the grief that then followed, but if they've received a complaint, they have to take action.

Sadly, nowadays he who shouts loudest.....
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 17:23:51 »
ps,  on the self help front, longer term planning - I have "re-located" a few holly seedlings from under the holly hedge at work - they'd only get tidies into a skip when the contractors do that bit f the verge so I've given them a home.  Keep your eyes peeled!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 18:51:02 »
Pyracantha, oo yes.  Comes in red yellow and orange berries and when planted in succession looks VERY JAZZY  ;D

Birds love itloads of nests and you can also keep it cut to the height you want!

Of course Blackthorne is best - Sloe gin ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hic  ;)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 19:13:33 »
Oh Teresa! I have just had a good chuckle at what you said. If only---
I love the idea of a gander but I don't think the rest of the plot holders would appreciate being seen of by a goose.
Thanks for the offer of the Pyracantha but somebody on the site is going to bring some cuttings in.
Thank you all for your suggestions and interest.

Rosemary

blueberry

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 18:38:35 »
Hi Rose.mary, I have ordered some hedging from Buckingham Nurseries, and have been wondering whether to add their "rootgrow" friendly fungus stuff to my order.  Have you tried it?

ian d

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 19:58:26 »
Try Berberis Julianae - aka God's Barbed Wire - impenetrable without injury once established, likes regular pruning to keep it within bounds, has yellow floweres in the Spring (which attract numerous bees), and the leaves turn red during winter. It is also evergreen. Downside is avoiding injury when trimming - the thorns are 1" long and lethal.

Hope this helps, regards, Ian D.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2006, 14:50:19 »
Hello Teresa

I wonder if I could be cheeky and muscle in on this chat and ask (beg)for a cutting of each of them. I saw them in full fruit this winter and they are stunning (they were also full of birds!).  I also have a backwall that I need to cover with something to deter intruders and this should do quite nicely. ;D

I have a list of seeds on the Swop Board if you want to trade for something. Let me know.
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal