Author Topic: Prickly hedges?  (Read 6635 times)

Rose.mary

• Acre
Prickly hedges?
« on: December 27, 2005, 10:55:20 »
Hi Everybody!

I trust you all had a good Christmas and are still full of Christmas Spirit.

I have a problem that I am sure you can solve for me.

One side of our allotment has a steep slope with 40' trees on it. At the top there is a fence belonging to the Council. It has been knocked about a bit and consequently the kids are making a way down to our site and causing a little trouble ???
I would like to start growing a hedge of trees like hawthorn and holly, something that is good to look at and will benefit the birds. My problem is I have just looked up how to propegate hawthorn and it says it has to be grafted, now I know my limitations...... and it does not stretch to that. Can anybody come up with an idea for a strong and prickly hedge that is kid proof please? Preferably one that I can take cuttings to multiply the stock and one that is reasonably quick growing.

My idea was to layer the trees by cutting halfway through the branches and laying them across one another so that eventually ( I know it will take time) we will have protection on that side.

I wish you all a very good New Year and thank you in anticipation.

Rosemary

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Prickly hedges?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 11:01:35 »
I would definately suggest  Pyracantha.  Very fast growing, up to an inch long razor sharp thorns,  self seeds from berries and I think roots quite easily from even quite large cuttings taken in Spring.  Air layering also works.

The berries are also a nice backdrop in winter and its evergreen so good all round - unless you have to prune them yourself for that can be painful!

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:05:12 »
You could buy a load of hawthorn from somewhere like Buckingham Nurseries (http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/); they're not expensive. It does take a few years to get a thorn hedge going though. Maybe a mixture of that and faster-growing plants. Rosa rugosa's another one that's worth considering.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 11:07:02 by Robert_Brenchley »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 11:08:17 »
What about bramble? Blackberries, spikes and wildlife friendly. Didn't you do that Icy? Or am I dreaming again? ???

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 11:34:09 »
No I did that,  but was thinking along hawthorn lines!  Pyracantha also faster growing!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 11:34:32 »
.......and berries great winter food for the birds

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 12:53:58 »
Thanks All!

I am getting some great ideas. Robert that site is really good and I am going to go through it very throughly. I will be paying for this with my own money so I did not want to spend too much, but a mixed hedge for 10 meters will be under £20 so that is great.
UP - we had thought of brambles and there will be some included, but some brambles don't have big enough spikes ;D ;D

Somebody is giving me a Pyracantha and I will take lots of cuttings in Spring.

Isn't it great sitting at home watching the snow and planning. I have never had so much fun ;) ;) Sad what!

Rosemary

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 14:26:52 »
Hi, I used to live on a new estate and the builders planted Berberis & Mahonia japonica .. both extremely good deterents to intruders.  Both are fairly quick and easy to grow and need minimal pruning / care.  Have the benefit of looking fab and both give winter colour.   
 :)

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 14:33:10 »
Thanks for that mc55. I won't be doing any pruning unless it is to thicken them up a bit. They will not rob anybody of any light, and will add to the wind break we get from that area so it does not matter how high they grow.

Rosemary

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 09:14:38 »
Get in touch with your local  BTCV  they can sometimes help with cheap hedgerow plants.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 09:22:07 »
I would also vote for the bramble, getting the fruit off as well.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 13:14:19 »
Hawthorn needs a lot of work as it needs cutting and keeping in trim as a hedge.  If not maintained properly, it goes leggy and children will will be able to get under it. 

I recommend berberis as it is quick growing and doesn't need pruning or any other maintenance.  There are over 400 varieties and some are dwarf so you will need to look at the labels carefully.  Woolworth, supermarkets and Wilkinsons often sell them much cheaper than the garden centres.  I have a berberis in my garden in a flower bed and get scratched to pieces when I weed around it.  I would definitely avoid holly as it is so slow growing.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 14:51:42 »
don't know if you have a Morrison's Supermarket nearby, but they often sell hedging type plants a lot cheaper than nurseries (although to be fair, they are usually smaller in size) ... bit of miracle grow and they'll soon shoot up ...

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 22:30:28 »
Blackthorn - sloes for you and the birds!

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 13:33:31 »
My problem with online nurseries is that they all want a tenner for delivery - I only want about 5 plants to make our wildlife bramble thicket a bit more interesting.

(I'll agree that hawthorn takes a lot of pruning to keep it in shape.)

I'm after maybe three hollies (mix of male/female) and a blackthorn or two. Will check Morrisons on the off-chance, but does anyone have any ideas of places with cheaper postage?

Ground's all frozen, temperature's still below freezing, and I'm itching to fiddle with the garden. Woe.

Melanie :)

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 19:10:23 »
Ace  -  What is BTCV please?

Fluffygrue  -  have look at the Buckingham Nurseries Site you can get a mixed hedge 50 plants for under £30.  They also have every other plant you have all mentioned and they do seem cheap. I have sent for their catalogue so I will be able to browse. I have till March to decide. I like they idea of a mixed hedge as it will attract all sorts of birds and as the length of the hedge I want to cover is about 50 meters I can incorporate berberis ,blackberry, pyracantha and a whole load of others. What fun!!
They (Buckinghams) also mention 'friendly fungi' to plant with the hedge to help it root. It looks gruesome, has anybody any idea if it is any good or are they just trying to get me to spend more money? ???
I know this will take time but it will be quicker than waiting for the Council to put a hedge up.

Rosemary

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 21:35:17 »
A surprising lot of plants do associate with soil fungi so it's possible that it might do some good. I wouldn't put it stronger than that, and I wouldn't bother myself given the mix of species growing on the site already; anything they need will be there already.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 22:06:39 »
Cheers Robert

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 07:58:23 »
British Trust for Conservation Volunteers.

A charity that tries to improve the enviroment for everyone. Planting, green gyms, community projects etc.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 16:34:52 »
Cheers Ace I will look them up and seek their advice

Rosemary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal