Author Topic: Enviromesh  (Read 7943 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Enviromesh
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 20:36:38 »
My fleece only lasted 5 years. 'Rubbish' - depends uponwhat you think you're buying??

Hole size? Depends upon what you want to exclude. The finer the mesh, the more costly. 'Netting' is no counter to 'bugs' or butterflies.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 21:08:25 »
Enviromesh looks impenetrable.  Very fine knit, lightweight but more substantial than fleece.  It will let light and rain through but is fine enough to keep out carrot root fly etc (so it says on the blurb)  I've not tried mine yet though so will reserve judgement til then
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 21:11:08 »
Let Russ have a little play with it....if it survives a Russ attack, well....good stuff! ;D  ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 21:57:45 »
Russ could not do any damage to this stuff as his teeth aren't what they were  ;D   It won't rip either apparently.
I came, I saw, I composted

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 22:45:50 »
I use Enviromesh and find it good, very durable, but also use horticultural fleece and find that's ok too.
I must admit something though. The first time I used Enviromesh I built a large sturdy wooden frame, secured the Enviromesh all round with battens, made a real good job of it and proudly put the frame over an area of brassicas, in an effort to keep off the Cabbage White butterfly.
However, I didn't do it before the butterfly became active. What happened was that they'd already laid their eggs on the underside of the young brassicas. Six weeks later, and all the cabbages inside the mesh had been eaten to bits, but the ones outside had only minimal damage - caterpillars must have been eaten by the birds.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 12:12:37 »
Remember that there are 2 sizes of mesh in environmesh.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 13:05:02 »
Remember that there are 2 sizes of mesh in environmesh.
Didn't know that - can't find info on the web - can you help?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 20:14:55 »

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 10:57:12 »
Thank you Tim.  :)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2006, 00:26:53 »
I've been using it over my carrots for a couple of years now. Yes it is good for keeping carrot fly etc out, and it doesn't tear.

BUT

it does deform.  Think of a roughly woven strong cloth - if you catch it on a sharp point then often the threads bunch up and leave you with a "hole" through which things can crawl.  I had my mesh nailed over a wood frame and something (foxcubs I think) played trampolines on it.  Result: lots of pulled holes round the tack points and points of entry for the carrot flies.  This year went over to water pipe (Geoff Hamilton) cloches covered in the same stretched mesh, removed off the frames and doubled up to minimise chances of the flies getting in.

Worked brilliantly.

Pity it didn't work as well for two-legged pests. Was alerted this week by a lottie friend that she'd lost some leeks and a stem of sprouts, so I dashed up.  All the rest of my maincrop carrots had gone, which I'd been leaving for today's big dinner (as we didn't have Christmas at home).   :'( 

Times like this I have to remember Romans 12:19.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2006, 10:54:53 »
Gutted for you moonbells.  It is just not fair that someone else benefits from your hard work and dedication.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 12:06:41 »
Thanks RC. 

I am wondering if netting does actually help keep off two-legged pests.  If they have to disassemble or hop over a well-pegged barrier, are they less likely to steal? 

I guess replies ought to go to a new thread!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

mpainter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 12:17:03 »
I've just bought some Viromesh from Kays (http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/ and use search box) as opposed to Enviromesh.  First impressions are that it's very good quality - have tried ripping it and not succeeded, which is just as well as I would have been a bit annoyed with myself.

The other good thing is it appears to be quite a bit cheaper than the alternative.  Currently 19.99 for a 10m x 2m piece even though the catalogue has a price of 24.99.

Delivery only took 2 days so all in all I'm very impressed.  It's nice when thing work out well!

Mark.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 20:52:58 »
just had a look on the kays site for viromesh and it doesn't return any results  :( anyone else have any luck?

I will buy a roll of their fleece though - far cheaper than elsewhere.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 06:23:47 »
Yes! I even showed a sample on the board.

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2006, 13:07:58 »
Tim, could you send the link again please? as at the moment I open the site and do a search for viromesh and it is coming back with "no results"  maybe I am doing something wrong?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2006, 13:22:39 »
?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2006, 13:41:45 »
:-[

So, have i got this right?? Fleece to keep stuff warm and protect from birds a bit, and mesh to stop bugs and flying nasties???

???

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2006, 13:45:41 »
Mat,
Kays appear to have changed their website only in the last few weeks. Up to then they did have enviromesh listed and in fact I ordered some and it arrived one week later.

It might be better to give Kays a ring if you want to order some.

Thomas

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2006, 17:21:29 »
katy

enviromesh allows air cirulation in summer, but stops insect damage

fleece protects against frost in spring/autumn, it is not as strong. 

using environmesh in summer can produce too humid/hot conditions which the plant could dislike (just like us being in a coat in summer)

thomas - thanks, I am not going mad!  I have just looked again on their site and again cannot find it, so it must be temporarily "on hold"

mat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal