Author Topic: Not an amarylis in sight!  (Read 4240 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Not an amarylis in sight!
« on: December 27, 2005, 13:33:48 »
Not one, last year I received about 6 as pressies.  This year I received 3 packs of paper whites, which I assume are mini daffs and after they have done the business indoors I can plant them in the garden in the autumn, and 2 white chrissy cacti.  This is not a complaint, I love plants in all their shapes and forms, well, apart from ground elder and couch grass.

What Christmas plants, if any, did you recieve??
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 15:22:55 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Wicker

• Hectare
Re: Not an amarlylis in sight!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 13:39:34 »
NONE!! :'(
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Not an amarlylis in sight!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 15:21:21 »
Same here, my family just aren't plant minded, coin minded or book minded. I get boring things like shirts, which I only wear for work anyway.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
Re: Not an amarylis in sight!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 16:38:29 »
Same with me, no plant, NOTHING for the garden.. ???.... but many other lovely presents, Cannot complaine..... (But my garden list is still there...) May be my birthday???

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 17:12:51 »
Zero in the way of plants but one present  to do with gardening. (see fav Christmas present)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 20:41:41 »
This year I received 3 packs of paper whites, which I assume are mini daffs and after they have done the business indoors I can plant them in the garden in the autumn

EJ, paperwhites are usually scented narcissi, quite tall. They are not usually frost hardy - I believe they're from the Med.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 23:39:03 »
Ooo, thanks for that Rosa - so something that can be left out in the pot during the summer, then brought back in as the weather turns, the same as my amarylis.  Super.

I did very well with gardening things this year  ;D.  Trouble is, I am itching to get out and get gardening!!

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 08:54:54 »
Merry Christmas all,
I recieved a Herb Wheel , six sided (hexagon) but i intend to use it for trialing vegetables as my garden is really a flower place.

we shall see what develops!! or NOT as the case may be!!
KevB
p.s. click on image to enlarge
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 09:04:09 »
A lot of my friends and relatives received Sambucus black lace this year.  They all admired one that I have in my garden that was all broken up when I planted it but it recovered to make a magnificent specimen.

I went to a end of season sale at a nursery and made them an offer on all their old stock, there were at least 50 black lace plants in the batch so xmas was  sorted rather cheaply this year.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 11:19:51 »
Kevb. That is a beautiful pic. Thank you.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 22:29:24 »
no amarylls here either, though I have to admit that's a relief as I've got about a dozen! I seem to be able to propagate them rather easily.

No other gardening pressies either. Parents know me too well to buy stuff I'll never use, so I tend to find myself with a universal voucher (this year they're renewing my HDRA membership).  Inlaws are a different matter - they keep buying stuff we already have and don't want more of due to lack of house space - this year we had a beautiful canteen of cutlery in a case.  15 months after we asked for and got one as a wedding present.  They've gone in the loft and will no doubt only come out when they come to stay.  Ho hum!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 22:33:24 »
We got an amaryllis, not planted yet, no fibre included!!!!  Emma the paper whites flower once and thats it gone, capoot.  They are usually treated for quick indoor flowering and no use outside and wont come next winter.  BUT but, someone in here will probably tell me different. 

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 23:48:57 »
NOPE NOT ONE AMMY, disappointed. but i always get my best friends pressie in march or April, we never seem to get round to our Cristmas lunch together till then :o :o  shocking i know but we are used to it after all these years  40. ;D ;D

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 13:29:16 »
Not one amaryllis here either! Although someone bought my other half one for his birthday, which was a bit of an odd choice, given he's more of a banana/tree fern person.. And I was a bit upset that someone had considered buying me gardeny books, but instead opted for a scarf/gloves set and a horrible nightie.

But I did buy myself a Christmas cactus and persuaded my mum to buy a nice carnivorous Sarracenia for my other half, so didn't do too badly..

Must hint more for next Christmas..
Melanie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 23:35:48 »
ooooooo, forgot, my mum bought my darling Ava a carnivourous set for Chrimble!  All veyr prehistoric, a bit of fun, hope they grow.....must take photos!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 20:26:48 »
I received a amaryllis, the first for a number of years- it also has the fibre with it so will plant up tonight before I forget.
I was also fortunate to receive a new spade, Grow your own vegetables- Joy Larcom, The Gardners Companion- the why, who and How book about gardening, Pests and and Diseases and Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening from The Royal Horticultural Society.A new trowel - a present from my father for the two of us to use at the allotment.
I was wanting to go down to the allotment to try out the spade on the 27th, but due to the snow and solid ground have not been able to. The thaw has set in and I am now working for a few days!
A water butt I had ordered arrived a few days before christmas, so cannot wait to set this up- to collect water for refilling a pond we have just  built - a bargain from Blackwell- butt stand and diverter for £34.95.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 11:28:53 »
Ooh, update! My 'nameday' was on New Years' Eve, so my mother in law decided to spoil me and buy me lots of plants. (Namedays are a Polish thing - I'm not Polish, but that half of the family is..)

So now I have: A lovely Phal orchid with 2 flowering stems, a venus fly trap, a bird box, and two sets of grow-from-seed carnivorous plants. :D

Was somewhat surprised, but eeee, plants!
Melanie

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 12:50:00 »
Watch those Paperwhites! They Smell AWFUL!  :o

Mind you Sarah raven LOVES them!

What one person loves, another hates!

Sorry about the negativeness of this thread!
Dan :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal