Author Topic: white fluffy scale insect..  (Read 6012 times)

undercarriage plan

white fluffy scale insect..
« on: December 24, 2005, 10:27:48 »
I have white fluffy scale insect... :'( well not me, obviously....but the plants in my conservatory.. I want go and buy the predator, encarsa formosa isn't it? But I don't have a door!! Will they stay where their food source is, or am I wasting my time? Thank you!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: white fluffy scale insect..
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:08:21 »
How many do you have? I used to deal with these with a paintbrush and methylated spirit, but if you've got a massive amount to deal with that might be a bit impractical.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 12:10:19 »
Hi Robert! I have patches of them, but too many to paint brush, one plant was covered so I binned it.. :( so seems to be quite a few, but they've spread themselves out a bit.....hope they're not planning a major assault... ???

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 12:58:23 »
I have white fluffy scale insect... :'( well not me, obviously....but the plants in my conservatory.. I want go and buy the predator, encarsa formosa isn't it? But I don't have a door!! Will they stay where their food source is, or am I wasting my time? Thank you!
Encarsia formosa is for white fly control, not scale. Although they are the same colour any similarity ends there so, yes, you would be wasting your time
There are two different wasps that parasitise two specific species of scale. If you are sure you have these species then you could use a wasp otherwise use some sort of control as suggested by Robert or a fatty acid (such as dishwashing liquid), which will work on nymphs.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 13:24:09 »
Thanks John, they're small,white and fluffy....not the big grey ones, does that help?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 13:56:05 »
Not really. There are at least 30 different species of scale known to infect plants, probably a few unknown too. Depends if you like playing the lottery as too whether you should use parasites. I would stick with washing the plants.
Alternatively, I did this a few months ago with a Calathea, with non woody plants cut the plant to the soil level and and let it re-sprout.
If you want a positive identification, and have time to go through 1,400 pictures, this site may be of help:
http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov:591/scale_slide/slide_frame.htm
or, by typing in a host, this may help too:
http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/scalenet/scaleson.htm

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 17:56:40 »
I'll go get me paint brush.......thank you!
And Happy Christmas. ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 21:27:55 »
That's them Wards!!Looks like one of the kids has been sticking cotton wool everywhere.... OK....erm...paintbrush and picking? They don't move by the way, just sit there, very boring pests come to think of it...

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:28:12 »
Just to let you know, I don't have to worry about which natural predator to use, cos I have white fly now too!!  ;D ::)
I'm considering opening a retreat for all unwanted insects, since I seem to have such a flair for it.... :-\

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 03:00:13 »
If you are thinking of introducing white fly parasite at this time of year you would still be wasting your time. They aren't very effective in cool, low light conditions. What I find effective is to wait until late in the day, when the whitefly aren't very active and tend to stay put, turn the leaves over and spray dishwashing liquid on them. By waiting until light is low I can generally spray plants considered susceptible to defoliation by fatty acids, such as Fuchsias, without any detrimental effects.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 07:08:23 »
John, thank you!! I was looking round at them yesterday thinking I'd have to take a week to wipe all the leaves down....but, I'm a nippy sprayer..... :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 12:26:40 »
Thanks Wards!! I've taken the bull by the horns, or is it the cow by the udders... ???...anyway...and am in the process of getting every plant down and washing it, with fairy liquid solution, I'm having great fun with the prickly cactii.. ::) ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 13:36:36 »
It's all of them. Wards and their in laws too... ::)
Well it's definitely whoolly aphid, they go orange when you squish them, I've just discovered.....and whitefly....also found a snail... ??? and 20p ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 16:10:45 »
Great minds and all that...I binned 3 plants, Wards... :'(, they were rife with every known pest...and some unknown too I think! Now all plants are shining, grinning and twirling, also listening to a bit of 10,000 Maniacs.. ;D.
I have a heated conervatory, so I'm a lucky pudding, but does mean I have to keep the humidity up, I have 13 orchids, so OTT but there we go, lots of bromathingies ( the ones that grow off trees?) and odds and sods. I do have a fan in the roof, and this is going to sound so daft, but I don't want to give the plants a chill... :-\  I am now empathing with plants, Lord help me... ::) But you just kinda know when they're happy...

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 16:23:39 »
LOL!! I'd love to Wards, but the conservatory is joined to the lounge and has an archway and no door!! So kids and OH would get fumigated too, there's plan....no more baths, just fumigate the lot of them!  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 16:44:50 »
LOL!!! Oh don't Wards....I can see it now!! I tend to just get the little darlings (plants,not pests.. ::)) through the winter, then bung em outside come summer, and scrub it from top to bottom, make it nice for the next load of pests... ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal