Author Topic: Cranberries  (Read 1612 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Cranberries
« on: December 25, 2005, 19:04:03 »
Having done the usual and created some home made cranberry jelly with port and cinammon and everything else we like I wondered if you could grow cranberries in this country and of so are they ripe at Christmas.

Does anyone know or have the requisite bush?

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Cranberries
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 19:33:40 »
I had always considered they were not suited to allotments, being a bogland plant, but merely by raising the question, you have got me interested ... I hope someone is able to provide promising information ...

Derekthefox

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 21:17:59 »
dont have the answer either but found this snippet interesting:
As a crop, the cranberry is a unique agriculture, growing on low vines in marshy areas. Harvesting is also unique - growers flood their bogs, causing cranberries, which have small air pockets in the centre, to rise. The berries are then skimmed from the surface.

Europe has its own cranberry growing areas. Swamp cranberries are very popular in Ukraine, Belarus, Russia and the Baltic countries. These berries are harvested by hand where they grow wild in peat swamps, and are a slightly different type to those found in N America.

so there must be a european sort of variety which is potentially suited to our climate - but like derek says, it's a swamp plant. so unless you have a swamp in one corner of the allotment.....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 21:27:19 »
You have got me googling svea ...

Contrary to popular belief, cranberries do not require a bog or wetlands for successful culture. Treat them as you would a blueberry with adding acidic organic matter to lighten heavy soils, and mulch well.

Derived from the following site ...

http://www.johnsonnursery.com/FRUIT%20PAGES/SPECIALTYBERRIES.htm

Derekthefox

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 23:26:36 »
They were advertised recently for sale in "the Scotsman" so they must cope with UK conditions. They also had an article about how good cranberries are for us - not just the usual urinary tract stuff, but also good for the teeth as a plaque removing agent.. However the caveat was that we should wait for cranberry flavoured toothpaste etc since in their natural form they are too acidic and eat away the enamel. Hey Happy Xmas everybody!

I've been posting to this group for about a week/ 10 days  and I have found that everyone in the group is kind, knowledgable and polite. It's so so nice to find a group of folk like that.  Thank you!!

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 00:08:42 »
i grow cranberries as i have very wet acidic soil.  as yet i haven't had a very reliable crop.  they're ready around october time and freeze until christmas.  i've been told that lingonberries are much more reliable in our climate.  (cranberries like a cold winter AND a cold summer!)
It'll be better next year

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 11:42:40 »
Thanks all...and especially for the insite from the Scotsman.   I may give them a go in my new fruit area - nothing ventured...unless I think its to expensive for a bush of course!    Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 14:18:35 »
Keep us informed Icy, I would love to know how you get on ...

Derekthefox :D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 21:09:57 »
Yes, I'd also be interested to know how you get on Icy :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal