Author Topic: Yummy parsnips  (Read 14710 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Yummy parsnips
« on: December 23, 2005, 18:26:13 »
I went to the allotment today and lifted some parsnips  (White Gem). They're not terribly big, cos I never got round to thinning them but they smell absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to eat them.

The onions and garlic are growing apace, the broccoli  and savoy cabbages are huge. Everything looked neat and organised and I felt quietly satisfied with progress.  8)

Weather permitting I'll start clearing our new second plot over the next couple of weeks.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Yummy parsnips
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 18:57:20 »
Parsnips are one of my favourite winter vegetables. When roasted, I prefer them to potatoes, and will often have just parsnips ... Have you tried cutting them into 3mm straws and deep frying them (shallow frying works too but is slower). Remove them when just starting to darken, the are really yummy with a dip ...

Glad to hear you are happy with your achievements !

Derekthefox

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 21:23:43 »
Parsnips are fabulous.  Gourmet din dins or what  ;D   This allotmenteering is fab if what we end up with is all this gorgeous food  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 21:37:59 »
I realise that taste is a subjective thing, but what do people think is the tastiest parsnip?  Unfortunately I haven't a clue what variety Parsnips are that I buy from the shops. :(

I've bought a packet of "Tender and True" seeds from AlanRomans.com to try.  Figured I can't go wrong for 50p  (Cheapskate!);D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 21:50:30 »
Me too Mute!  I have T and T  and superb they are too.  However, being a berk I forgot to sow any so have had to rely on mates.  This lotty thing is so brill as someone will always have remembered what you have forgotten! Can't wait til next year  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 22:20:03 »
I was so determined to make sure I had 'snips for the winter that I ended up sowing 3 times as the first 2 sowings failed to germinate, hence mine are not monsters, but big enough - 1 'snip feeds 4 !!  This year I grew Gladiator, nice long white clean roots, canker resistant, and they seem to be holding well in the wet cold ground.  I grew tender and true last year and was just as pleased with them, except they germinated quickly and grew into MONSTERS!!!  ;D ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 22:27:43 »
Fab EJ.  ;D  I grew Glads one year and forgot about them.  That was when the dog dug them up bless him. :Perfick specimens. Can't believe I forget me Tender and True seeds anorl.  Lesson learned.  If you don't sow you don't get!  I won't forget again.  Oh getting excited for year number two on the plot  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 23:18:16 »
I've got Tender and True to plant next year. I agree with Derek. There's nothing to beat parsnips roasted, deep-fried or even as mash.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 23:35:34 »
Tender and true here too !

Derekthefox

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 09:08:44 »
Gladiator here.  Wonderful big long straight roots.  I'm having to dig about 18" down to get them out!  Roasted with a drizzle of honey over the top is my favourite or load of chunky pieces in a beef stew.......crikey my mouth is watering now!

....mental note to dig some extra today {GG}

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 09:35:08 »
Tender and True gives me roots like that when it feels like it, but I've had some pathetic crops for the last couple of years; first we had that very dry spring, and this year so much cold weather. A neighbour of mine who grows exhibition veg had parsnips about three feet long this year, but they hadn't bulked up at all.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 12:18:34 »
Tomorrow I will dig a couple of parsnips-blowed if I can remember the name. It will be symbolic as I once thought I would not see this Christmas in England.

And,as Jenny says." You will never find a `root` like that on the other side of the world"

Buggar,this has not been my finest year-and that goes for the garden as well.

But I hi-jack this thread to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and New Year of good growing and fun.

Stephan

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 14:03:17 »
Yes, I have just returned from my plot with a couple of beauties ...

I hope things are looking ok for you now Stephan, and I wish you a pleasant restful break too. I should be around all through the holiday period ...

Derekthefox

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 20:06:56 »
I love Parsnips but I have never been able to get them to germinate.

So kind people how did you do it ::).  If you can help me out it would be real  8).

many thanks

Bill Door

Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 20:21:56 »
I sow at the beginning of March, and drop in a few radish seeds to help mark the rows. Parsnip seeds seem very slow to germinate, and fresh seed is recommended.

Good luck

Derekthefox

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 20:44:06 »
Don`t sow too early-the seed packet says one time but wait until the soil has warmed up a bit.

Derek makes a good point about radish,but sow those just to the left or right of the row-not in amongst as when you pull the radish you might disturb the young parsnips.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 22:41:55 »
I only sow a few radish seed Cleo, and leave them to go to seed, so the parsnips are not disturbed.

Derekthefox

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005, 09:31:24 »
Thanks derek and cleo ;).  Do you do anything special with the soil?  I have clay type soil  :'(, will that make a difference?

regards  Bill

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 10:10:32 »
I use soil 'prepared' for roots, ie no added nutrients or compost, manure etc for last two years...

Derekthefox

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2005, 11:01:06 »
I actually find they do alright in my heavy clay, but I do dig that bit well first. I don't add anything now, but they did best in one particular place where I'd dug some sand in previously.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal