Author Topic: new allotment (preparation)  (Read 7981 times)

terces

• Not So New ...
new allotment (preparation)
« on: December 21, 2005, 15:03:43 »
I am starting work on a new allotment this year which is completely overgrown but the council are going to scrape it so that I can dig out all the old roots etc.  Can anyone advise  (as this is new to me) on the most economical way of fertilising the soil and if this is needed as it is a very large piece of ground to cover.

Many thanks,  Rob

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: new allotment (preparation)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 16:16:05 »
If there are plenty of weeds like nettles growing on it, it's probably quite fertile already...Start by making a compost heap with the weed debris, that's free.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 18:26:11 »
In addition to preparing the compost heap, working the ground should help more than blindly adding fertilisers etc. The most important part is to clean the ground of roots etc as you have already identified.

Good luck

Derekthefox :D

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 18:47:28 »
The first time you dig everything over is a sort of experiment really. I would be inclined to do as Derek advises, just stick the stuff in and see what grows. I cleared a reasonable patch the first year by putting some 'early' spuds in, you can get these out of the ground by June or July and have time to get some leek seedlings planted in the same space.

I use as much compost as possible but I've given up with chemical fertilisers (it can be a lot of money with not much extra to show). I guess the crops can be 20% bigger but I just plant 20% more instead :)
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 05:38:02 »
< .... and put a hip flask on your Chrissie Prezzie list, coz you WILL be going down there in ridiculous weather just to look at it    ;D
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 08:59:19 »
Yes Aiken, I must admit I used to visit mine sometimes just to stand and look ... and think ... I still do in fact.

Derekthefox

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 17:26:21 »
I do that all the time if I can't get down there to work. It's my escape from the madhouse.

terces

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 19:07:49 »
Thanks for your advice everyone.  I think I had better go and buy some wellies.

Merry Christmas!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 19:52:32 »
Can't really add to the above advice Rob..Mmmm or can I?   Perhaps the only other consideration is that if you have need of a bonfire plan it either to burn on the worst weeded spot (the heat will kill many of the roots near the surface) and/or have it where you plant onions because the ash itself is a good fertiliser containing ermmmm potash I think.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 20:09:57 »
Hey! And don't buy wellies!!!! DMs or something...sorry......will go....but nice to meet you...

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 20:36:49 »
You like your DM's don't you, UP.  Funny how I came up with that idea...  :D  Welcome to A4A, Rob, you'll get loads of good advice and support here.  ;D

Me, I agree with Icyberjunkie, though I used a Flame Gun from Hire Shops, which was good value for a weekend.

Truth be told I'm a closet pyromaniac, so I just told myself it was to burn the grass, weeds and roots and improve the soil with their charred remains...    ;)

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 20:55:04 »
Someone on our allotments has offered to lend a flame gun thing, I wondered what that was all about. Does it really work? And am I in danger of burning down everyone elses plots? Do you burn it all off, then dig as normal?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 20:59:14 »
.....  Perhaps the only other consideration is that if you have need of a bonfire plan it either to burn on the worst weeded spot (the heat will kill many of the roots near the surface) and/or have it where you plant onions because the ash itself is a good fertiliser containing ermmmm potash I think.

Iain

Don't grow potatoes where you have the bonfire though as ash can worsen problems with scab.  It was significant on our plots.  Scab was much worse where hubby had dug in the ash.  

Pauline

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 21:19:25 »
Someone on our allotments has offered to lend a flame gun thing, I wondered what that was all about. Does it really work? And am I in danger of burning down everyone elses plots? Do you burn it all off, then dig as normal?

I think it's just a quick and easy way to clear large areas of weeds/grass/undergrowth (or should that be overgrowth on a lottie), but I'm sure somebody will help enlighten me if there's more to it than that.   :D

It appealed to me because of the slash and burn principle that indigenous peoples around the world used to grow their crops and I didn't want to use chemicals to shift the weeds.  There again, as I said in an earlier post, I like burning things!

Seriously,  I didn't have much problems controlling the burning a couple of weeks ago, probably because of the time of year.  It burns up the weeds, goes out and then smoulders for a bit.  Doing it in Summer in tinder dry conditions is probably not a great idea though! :(

Also, if you've got wet, heavy clay, it will help improve the soil no end.

Hope this is of help as I'm a newbie myself.

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 21:46:40 »
I did the bonfire thing to prepare first beds for planting. Well I say beds but that would be an exaggeration  :)  In my cleared bits I planted broad beans (my first thing in  the lotty) peas and red onions.  Then in another bonfire bit I planted a batch of Japanese onion sets - overwintering ones.  So bonfires are good  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

terces

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 22:42:17 »
Thanks MutantHobbit and everyone else about burning the weeds.  I can't do this as the ground has already been scraped and now I just need to dig up the weed roots. The ground was full of nettles and a few trees had sprouted so jennym may have a good point. I will definitely be starting a compost heap though! 

Perhaps Mutanthobbit should try growing Chard (sorry for the pun - couldn't resist)!

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 23:20:50 »
 ::) Everyone thinks they're a Comedian...  You'll fit right in here! ;)

Dave

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 00:01:58 »
Yes terces, you will be having lots of bonfires with all the roots etc, but at this time of year that is a very satisfying thing. I must agree with undercarriage plan on the footwear, boots are better than wellies, particularly around bonfires. I always wear industrial boots with the steel toe insert, my old pair had steel midsoles too, but my later ones dont. I have a pair of wellies in my shed, but have only worn them twice in five years.

Derekthefox

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 00:06:58 »
What happened to the scrapings - hopefully it is available for digging in or composting otherwise it is a valuable resource wasted.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 14:18:18 »
Yes I presume the council would not want to be encumbered with the scrapings, so would want to leave them on the plot ...

Derekthefox

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal