Author Topic: WORMS  (Read 2320 times)

chriszog

• Half Acre
WORMS
« on: December 19, 2005, 19:23:14 »
Even if I say so myself I have a magnificent wormery at home. I have about 3,000 worms in it at present and it has many uses. Does anyone else keep these magnificent creatures as pets.
Also has anyone read 'The Earth Moved'
Happy Worming
Chris

undercarriage plan

Re: WORMS
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 19:34:31 »
Same as you Chris, not sure whether I'd call them pets as such, they're not terribly fond of collars and blessed useless at fetching sticks, but by eck they eat all my veg waste, hoover offerings etc and make wonderful compost, little sweethearts.....

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 19:54:40 »
For some reason (and the same thing happened this time last year) my back garden bin is heaving with brandlings.  Thie time last year I looked one day and there was a lot of veg and lots of worms and about a week later they had turned it all to worm cast compost.  I love the little blighters but like you lottie, they keep escaping of the lead when I walk them and they do not come back when I call. ???
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 20:16:06 »
Perhaps I am missing out here ...

Derekthefox :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 21:21:55 »
Ah see Ady, you need to learn the worm whistle.... ;D

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 07:41:44 »
Dont waste your time walking them, tried that it doesnt work, all that wriggling keeps them fit... never seen a fat worm yet. Do sometimes take some of mine swimming though they seem to enjoy it up to a point.
Happy worming.

And yes they are pets and make very good ones. Unlike Dogs and they dont need walking you can leave them for two weeks whilst on holiday and they are perfectly OK on their own.
Perfect.
Chris

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 12:59:33 »
Might be a silly question but where would I get a wormery from?

Do you buy special containers and buy the worms or do you just dig up the worms from the lottie and add them?

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:31:23 »
Hi Joji
Well you can either make your own or purchase one from a company like Wriggly Wrigglers....Do a Google search to find it although they are a bit expensive.
You can collect your own worms but it will take while.,. Dont put Garden Lobworms in the wormery they will die due to the excessive heat. Only collect Red worms, Brandlings and Dendrabenas. They are the true composting worms.
You can also purchase them from the above company. If you do buy any pay for the smallest amount because when they get going they breed like... worms.
Happy worming.
Regards
Chris

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 08:14:18 »
OOO :o Thanks chris. :) Might just try that. ;D

Salpott

• Not So New ...
  • Looking for the kitten......
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 11:29:53 »
Hi Joji,

If you decide to make your own wormery you need to bear in mind that it's a very wet process and as well as getting lovely compost out of it you get a liquid feed as well.  So you need to add a shelf in the bottm of the container with holes for the liquid to drain through, and a tap at the bottom to get it out.  The liquid is a great feed, when diluted, for your plants and veggies.  I put all my kitchen waste into a bought bin, and I get about 2 litres of liquid out a week!!  The liquid is very smelly, but it keeps for ages - I havent had to buy any plant feed since I got the wormery.

Have fun!!
Salpott

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 23:49:27 »
Thanks Salpott

Wales is a wet place any way so we are used to it. lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal