Author Topic: 2:20am  (Read 5050 times)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
2:20am
« on: December 18, 2005, 06:16:48 »
my security light went off this am & when i looked out the window i discovered (squeals of delight) a badger padding about my back garden.
he/she appeared to be munching on a piece of apple left over from the blackies breakfast.
is there anything i can do to encourage it to come again?
is there any kind of food they're partial to ( apart from worms )?
maybe be able to get a few pics if it comes back to visit~fingers crossed
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

wardy

• Hectare
Re: 2:20am
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 08:30:38 »
Lucky you. They are beautiful and it's a privelege to get to see one in the wild.  I saw one once when we were all driving home from the pub one summer's evening and it was trotting down the main road (silly thing).  I couldn't get over just how big it was!  The children were delighted to see it and I bet they've never seen one since.  Neither have I come to think of it  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 12:34:52 »
Oh GW!! I'd love to see a badger, I've never seen one, never ever..and if they go ahead with this cull, doubt I ever will.. :'(

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 12:52:34 »
at first i thought a cat had triggered the light so iwas thrilled to bits to discover that there was a badger rooting about the place ;D ;D ;D
i was also amazed at it's size w ~
i do hope it comes back tonight ~ i'll probably not sleep a wink just waiting for it to return

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 13:54:59 »
The thing I never get over is just how magic the feeling is when you see someting like that.  I have never seen a live badger in the wild either and am dead envious but a few nights ago when I was walking the dog at about midnight, a fox crept out of the undergrowth about 5 yards away from me.  Not bothered about me at all but did keep an eye on the dog as it crept stealthily by.  Floated home on Cloud 9.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 14:04:45 »
They like peanuts and choclate drops apparently.  Dont know if it's particularly good for them (the choc) but i once saw a programme and a man used to feed them on that in his back garden.  Also I would think dog meat would be ok as they eat worms and stuff like that.
Get with the beat Baggy

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 14:13:08 »
thanks B :)
i've got plenty of peanuts ~ i'll leave some out tonight
choclate drops
~milk, plain or white?  ;) ;D ;D[/b][/color][/size][/font]

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 15:17:05 »
White i believe - they lookedl ike market jobs - £1 a bag not milky bar so I am sure they are not fussy.  I did see a programme one where a gardener used to leave out jam sarnies for his badgers so they obviously have a sweet tooth.  Poss why they have eaten peoples sweetcorn as I have read on this sirte.
Get with the beat Baggy

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 15:28:28 »
Jealous as all get out

MikeB

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 20:37:57 »
Oh GW I am so envious.  I have seen loads of badgers (dead ones).  We have a few setts hereabouts and have been promised to go view them at dusk but just never got round to the Viewing set up.  To get one in your own garden is just wonderful.

:D :D :D :D

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 21:57:41 »
Greenwizard, you are very lucky!  8)

There is a lot of information about badgers on the National Federation of Badger Groups' website - http://www.nfbg.org.uk/

They recommend feeding peanuts & raisins - but say that lots of sweet things, salted peanuts, or meat products could be harmful.

They also ask people to report sightings of badgers to their local badger group - there's a page on the site which should tell you where yours is.

If you click on Badgers - Your questions answered and scroll down & click on Badgers on the web, then on Steve Jackson's Badger Pages, you will find a lot more info. about them - I found the stuff about watching them in your garden & what food to put out to encourage them in the Watching/Studying section.

Hope badger comes back!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 08:59:54 »
thanks for all the info J :)
 left out some food last night but i never managed to see him  :'( 

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 22:51:56 »
I can remember seeing a badger trotting down the road when driving home from the Tutankhamen exhibition - about 30 years ago  when I was about 11- was such a thrill then and can remember it as clear as day 9or night) now 0 you are so lucky - wonderful creatures

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:09 »
my badger visited about 11:45pm last night ;D
still not quick enough to take his pic  :( ~ he's a bit camera shy
looks like i'll be on badger patrol tonight then :)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 16:16:30 »
If you keep putting food out for your badger GW he/she will get used to visiting your garden in no time at all.  ;D A friend of mine feeds badgers and now when she leaves the patio doors open they'll actually wander in to the livingroom to see where their food is if she's late putting it out. Looking forward to that first piccie!!!!!  ;D

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 16:43:26 »
Wow you are so luck GW.  I love badgers. We had an old set in the woodland behind our house but never saw one.. cant wait to see the photos.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 17:15:42 »
Looks like apple will do the trick ;)
I believe badgers may be one of those animals that keep a routine, so try and see him/her at the same time. I know they keep to set routes or paths that they make and will eat through a fence if you put it on there route - hence the need for badger gates.

pansy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 08:35:48 »
Ooh I'm so jealous too, I've never seen a live one. Hope he becomes a regular visitor for you  :)

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 11:57:49 »
When I was a child we would spend many holidays in Southend at my grand parents home. Their garden backed onto a field & every Sunday they would put out all the scraps from Sunday dinner on the patio outside the living room window. The badger family always turned up & ate the lot while we watched on.  :D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 15:37:03 »
stayed awake till about 1am & no sign of him :(
however the food that i left out has all gone (unless someone else has eaten it ::) )
hopefully i'll get a glimpse tonight

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal