Author Topic: Fly tipping  (Read 2172 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Fly tipping
« on: December 20, 2005, 19:37:23 »
I spotted this down the bottom of the site this afternoon. Sickening.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Fly tipping
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 19:45:16 »
At least you could use the tyres to grow potatoes in. Down our lane some kind person has dumped a trailer load of domestic refuse, broken toys, carpet, wood, bricks and rubble. This is in the entrance to a farm field,so the farmer will have to pay for it to be moved so he can get into the field. There look to be enough personal stuff in it to identify the culprits too. I wish I was one of those identity theft types. I would run up such massive debts for them, and send it all to a decent charity.
I was too disgusted to photograph it. I may do tomorrow.
Gardening is the great leveller.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 19:46:37 »
are they on the lottie??  sure someone isnt using them for something.

if not rob them, stack a coupld up plant some spuds, as they grow stack more tyres on top and fill up. then to get the spuds take the tyres off :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 20:12:46 »
Yes we get a lot of fly tipping at the entrance to our allotments too. Mostly settees, rubble, cars etc. I don't use that entrance so it isnt a problem to me, but anyone accessing with a car sometimes has problems.

Derekthefox :D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 09:36:37 »
From the look of it most of them have wheels which make them hard to use. It's the downside of making people pay to dispose of environmentally unfriendly waste.

About a year ago one of my friends and I hired a flatbed truck in order to remove large amounts of glass from our plots. I checked the council website and found the local waste centre took glass so off we set. On arrival we had the usual argument about it not being 'trade' just because we were in a flatbed, then the supervisor played his trump card - they had no facilities for glass apart from bottles. Apparently there is no method for recycling window glass at all. I phoned the allotment officer, who was sympathetic but unsurprised. He said' now you know why everyone fly tips, there's often no other way of getting rid of things'. Eventually we found a private operation who charged us a 'nominal' £60 to dispose of it.
I think scrap merchants charge something like £5 per tyre to dispose of them, we've got around 20 dotted round the site with wheels one so not much use for potatoes. I'm wondering about taking them to a tyre fitter and slipping him a fiver to remove them then weighing in the wheels.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 09:45:08 »
Most of them do have wheels, you're right. That plot is actually derelict; it's been cleared fairly recently and there are ideas about letting it, but looking at the state of it, I wouldn't want to take that on.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 17:49:50 »
I have to say our Council are pretty good when it comes to removing rubbish from the site.
The allotment site itself is next to the Council recycling plant so the only time we get fly tipping is when the site is shut.
The bonus is we have a wonderful Alladins cave right nexty door for all those useful bits and pieces

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 15:03:36 »
Strange Situations over your Side!!

We pay a small fee Per Load at the Local Tip
open 6 Days a week

OPen for all Recycling FRom Old Paint Tyres Furniture Paper Carton Wood Chemicals Ground Refuge.....plus you can help yourself to as Much Free Recycled Loom as you need

Dish Washers Fridges Deep Freezers Dryers ....Phone and they are Collected Free

Plus we get from the Local Council Two Stamps on a Card for two Free Visits to the Local Refuse Site.
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 20:33:23 »
Tulip  We have a pretty good  local tip. It is free but if you happen to go there with a van (even if you use it as a car like we used to cos of dogs) then they say it is commercial and you have to go to Council offices and buy a ticket and then go on to the big landfill site.(Also have to wear special clothing)
The free area has a section of things for sale which the guys have salvaged from peoples rubbish.
I am almost sure you are not allowed to take tyres there.
Any large items like furniture there is a charge of £10 to collect, unless you are on benefits then it is free.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 10:58:40 »
Lorna ;)

Im not suggesting that there is anything wrong...over your side....just pointing out the Difference.

At our Refuse Sites everything goes into Skips or Containers.

Then Commerical Contactors remove it to LandFilled Site
and Re-cycling Plants

Paper and Carton Collection  in the Street every two weeks
Glass Banks By the Local Supermarkets for Re-cycling

Households...Schools....Business...Almost everyone is Re-cycling Concious......so hence very little if no Fly-Tipping
that was my Point
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 12:29:28 »
Hey Tulip. I didn't think you were suggesting that. Just posting about our local council.Seems about the same. ie, containers marked with. Household, paper, green stuff . glass etc.. The site for non commercial is at the entrance to the big landfill site  and I am almost sure that is run as a business for contractors.
This year  the council have supplied wheelie bins for green stuff and one for paper/cardboard we also have our normal waste wheelie. I love it, no more trips to the tip, have got rid gradually of all my conifer cuttings.  One thing we cannot do is to put glass in any of the wheelies. we have to go to one of the glass banks.
The fact that we have all these facilities and still people carry out fly tipping really annoys me. In case we don't "speak" again  A VERY  HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.XX

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 12:56:58 »
Coventry is becoming more environmentally aware, the waste disposal is into skips, which are shipped out. Coventry pioneered an incinerator plant many years ago, which generated heat which is then sold to a local factory.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 16:09:33 »
Fly-tipping increased in this area when the Council decided to charge for bulky uplifts.  At one time you just phoned the Council, told then what you wanted collected, they specified a day when they would be round to collect.  Now we only have two free uplifts per year.  The charges are £13.50 for household items and £40. for garden rubbish (tree prunings, etc.)

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 18:22:23 »
In parts of Halifax we have collections every 2 weeks. They have given us plastic boxes and we have to separate, glass, tins (washed ) paper, and clothing. We just leave box by the side of the road and they empty it. Plus I think that the men who collect are not able to get regular work so it helps them also.

Rosemary

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal