Author Topic: Seed / seedling growing trays  (Read 3935 times)

joji

• Hectare
Seed / seedling growing trays
« on: December 13, 2005, 13:55:50 »
I know it is comming up to christmas so I had an idea. Just becareful what you throw in the bin this year. Think lottie here. After all the merry ment and festivities are over. It will be the new year and not long before the new growing season. You get loads of different containers round christmas that you don't get for the rest of the year. So think before throwing anything out. Marge tubs, Jars Sweet tins. They could all be used to put things in, in the shed. Just a thought. :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Seed / seedling growing trays
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 15:54:59 »
The large biscuit and sweet tins are a favourite of course, but some of the 'fancy' jars are very good for preserves etc, and can make fabulous gifts for next year, perhaps not returning them to the same person though !!

Derekthefox :D

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 19:17:46 »
Gone through a lot of paracetomol in this household the past few weeks, we all got heavy colds. Anyway thye came in little plastic bottles around the size of camera film cases so have kept them. Figured they would be good for loose seeds. I'm amazed I even thought of it in my doped up and blocked up state. :)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 15:52:40 »
I am unable to throw away anything that could be of use - subsequently i have several crates full of marg tubs, supermarket plastic trays, bottles, punnets, yoghurt pots etc. The plastic trays that mince pies come in are excellent for holding 6 small pots. Blue peter eat yer heart out ;D
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 17:22:03 »
I have even resorted to going through the kitchen bin, to sort out anything that is useful, so how sad is that ...  :D

Derekthefox :)

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 20:33:43 »
I recently came to the end of a stack of blank CD's and thought that I could find a use for the container lid.  Then, I snagged a couple of the "dealies" (not sure of the right word) that stacks of blank CD's / DVD's come in (when you buy a wad from Computer-type shops) from a bin in my Computer Department. 

The lids are plastic, about 5" across, 7" high and they make neat cloches for my small pots.  Some are see-through, others, opaque.  The plastic is virtually unbreakable (so probably will last for ever in my local Landfill site). 

Old CD's also make useful bird-scarers when strung up (but don't tell your work's Information Security Officer!)

Go and raid your I.T. departments - they may have some cool stuff they simply chuck away!

Jimbo
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 20:56:44 »
Oh yeh,

And hang onto that bubble-wrap - ideal for insulating pots / tender plants from Jack Frost (and great for stress-relief too - POP!!!)

J.
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 21:05:02 »
I am lucky where I work, the skips are just behind my workshop, the stuff I pick up is amazing, including loads of useful timber offcuts.

Derekthefox :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 16:43:52 »
Ok, I know this sounds naff but here goes....
I often get bought sweets by people at Christmas. Last year two bought me Ferrero Rocher, the gold foil wrapped things. Well, the box had a clear plastic lid on it. This just happens to be of a size that will neatly fit half size seed-trays.
I used them on the top as a cover, just until seeds have germinated, then use them as a drip tray for a few more weeks. And the two I got last year are still going strong...

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 05:51:35 »
Great! You have taste chocolates, and when it is empty you have a propergator. So you can munch the chocies then use the container to grow the vege then you can munch the veg.

Food stuff growing fresh food. Great.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 09:58:46 »
Ferrero Rocher eh? My chocs come from the pound shop ...

Derekthefox

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 10:32:31 »
I like that suggestion Wardy, it suits my sense of humour ...

Derekthefox

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 17:40:49 »
I did know of somebody who did that and even dipped the sprouts into melted chocolate - they really do look like Ferrero Rocher in the dark - trouble is they taste better.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 18:22:51 »
They would make interesting edible decorations for the Christmas tree ...

Derekthefox

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 08:53:46 »
Oh dear what have I started - brussels sprouts for halloween treats eh?
One year we told children we were only doing tricks, and did a thing with peeled lychees in strawberry juice, they had to put their hand in the bag and get one and we told them they were eyes! that went down well with the older ones at least...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 13:47:24 »
I never realised what a wicked sense of humour you can have, you have got me rolling over laughing !!!

Derekthefox

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 21:48:51 »
Go and raid your I.T. departments - they may have some cool stuff they simply chuck away!

Jimbo

Why not nick all the Windows and make some greenhouses and coldframes............ 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal