Author Topic: What no Fruit ?  (Read 4394 times)

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
  • Fifi Forget-me-not rocks!!!!........
What no Fruit ?
« on: December 11, 2005, 21:45:06 »
 Forgive me if I am being dense , am a lottie virgin ( haven't even got one yet ..but on it's way )
According to council rules & regs I will be forbidden to grow rhubarb, (aswell as asparagus) strawberries and any fruit set out as perennial
So what fruit can I grow? and can I grow rhubarb in a bucket in the ground, do you think that counts ?
seem to recall from agri college ( a long time ago) that Raspberries are planted annually as canes or did I hear that wrong ??
sorry if I am being stupid feel free to mock  :-\

boris

• Quarter Acre
  • Hhmmm, let me think
Re: What no Fruit ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 22:08:03 »
Hello Aeeeeeeek (sorry if I spelt your name wrong  :) )
we'll never mock.  My lottie restrictions say not to grow anything which doesn't mature in 1 season. Think this is to stop people growing big fruit trees which might affect other plots, although it doesn't seem to stop some.   
I suppose you could harvest some rhubarb or asparagus in the first year but it wouldn't do the plants any good.
I ignored the rule and planted everything I could, except big fruit trees. Seems ridiculous to forbid bubby growing though.  Go on do it. You know you want to. Be a rebel.

Still thinking

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 22:12:21 »
ssssssh don't tell but I think I will........ I'll tell them you told me to..besides in the corner of my lotty-to-be is a crab apple tree for heavens sake!! so'll I'll just pretend the rhubarb, strawbs and all were there before.... ::)

boris

• Quarter Acre
  • Hhmmm, let me think
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 22:21:45 »
I promise not to tell. Not a word. Crab apple? Pah! Chop that down soon as you can.  :)  Make room for more veg.

Do you know when you get the plot?

Still thinking

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 22:29:21 »
well have picked one out and emailed council soooo..who knows, v tempted to go down and start clearing out next week though...will take my saw!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 22:45:38 »
Sod the council!  Grow what you want. He/she who dares wins  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 08:38:28 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 08:37:21 »
I agree Wardy, sod them. I can't see them coming down to check anyway ...

Derekthefox :D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:22:04 »
our contract states that perenial fruit can be grown but has to be removed whenever I vacate the plot - well, that'll be never ;)

Maybe grown them a bottom of plot and less in view :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 11:55:18 »
Sod the council!  Grow what you want. He/she who dares wins  :)

Ditto. Daft rule.
If they ever dream of sending a digger along to dig up my fruit, I'll be lying down in front of the gate as a protest...

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:09:53 »
Aaaaaaaaaagh Aeeeeeeek. Do not chop down the Crab apple. Crab apple jelly is the finest conserve of all time. Crab apple wine is not so bad either.
Gardening is the great leveller.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 12:13:51 »
There's plenty of room on lotty for fruit and veg.  One goes with the other surely  :)

I came, I saw, I composted

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 16:53:32 »
okay the fate of the crab apple hangs in the balance as it will depend how much clearing I get to do as it is right in the corner.....

I have a vision of a harmonious lotty with herbs, fruits, veggies and the flowery corner near the shed with Brompton Stocks & Sweet Peas.....might take a while to get there though

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 08:29:58 »
Hi Aeeek

One of my lottie friends also has this restriction at her site in Sheffield.  People do ignore it although she doesn't as she always follows rules.   ::)  However, when looked into, it appears the restriction is put there to reduce the amount of compensation which can be claimed should the council/Prescott decide to tarmac the plots.

To my mind, the potential gain of nice fruit far outweighs the potential lack of compensation sometime never.......

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 09:52:01 »
I agree Bagpuss ...

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 12:21:06 »
Agree with Palustris! Don't chop down the crab apple. Crab apples are very rich in pectin and so great  to help set jams made with other fruit (for example blackberries). Plus it makes lovely jelly on its own!

I've just taken on a plot with two smallish trees on the edge: A pyracantha and a hawthorn. I'm keeping both of them; I've just pruned them a bit.
We're not allowed to plant fruit trees though, except for cordons on dwarf rootsock. I'd be planting a quince if I was allowed. Now that makes the BEST jam ;D!

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 16:38:48 »
Grow it and be damned - and if the strawberry police come after you we'll send the boys (and girls) round. What a daft rule

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 16:46:25 »
Succinctly put Reedos ...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 20:57:25 »
You have joined the militant lottie site where the only point of a tenancy agreement is to get you a little plot of land for you to do whatever you like with as long as you do not concrete it over.  Keep the crab apple tree - they are even good for eating in small doses and I agree with Eric about the wine (cider is also good)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
Crab Apples
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 13:24:16 »
okay ..so the crab apple is saved
Took OH down to look at it yesterday and he nearly fainted about how much clearing there is to do..he's not so keen now...a small amount of blackmailing may be required to get help now....!! ::)

Any tips on clearing/prepping a site????

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 20:12:12 »
Either cover it in black plastic or strim it hard and often, then dig it bit by bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal