Author Topic: What to plant in december?  (Read 2758 times)

Gravell

• do what you love.
What to plant in december?
« on: December 14, 2005, 11:34:32 »
I'm new to all this gardening malarkey, but would like to make use of the garden during the winter, what could i plant now!!
if it barks, bite it,If it bites give it a goaddamn kick.

terrace max

• Hectare
Re: What to plant in december?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 12:12:16 »
If we get the usual mild spell over Xmas you could bang in some overwintering onion sets and some garlic.

The sort of veg you see in people's plots around now (like leeks, kale, brocolli, sprouts etc) were planted late last spring. And it's a bit early for early salad leaves. You could try some lamb's lettuce, though.

Things really kick off again next month when seed potatoes are delivered and some of us sow tomatoes, aubergines and the like.

I'd suggest you spend this quiet time reading up, ordering seeds, making plans and making your significant others feel valued. There'll be no time for that in a few weeks!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 18:12:39 »
Me, I will be planting my bum in a comfy armchair with my gardening mags, seed catalogues....and holiday brochures (well, a girl can dream!), and wait until spring springs!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 18:37:00 »
There's the old saying"Sow your shallots on the shortest day and harvest them on the longest"..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 19:21:05 »
I was discussing this very subject this afternoon, and was surprised to find that later sowings eg spring, lead to a more reliable crop, although harvesting is of course moved back until september ... I may decide to adopt this approach for shallots this coming season ...

Derekthefox :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 19:40:10 »
I'm about to order eschalotte grise, elephant garlic and albigensian garlic (the heretic's garlic; I should have known I'd never resist it!) from the Garlic Farm. The garlic can go in as soon as it comes if the soil's not frozen, the shallots can wait a bit. I'm not sure how elephant garlic will go down with the family since it's mild, but I like the sound of it.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 20:14:04 »
Mild, but pervasive. I'm a real convert to elephant garlic.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 22:21:21 »
ooh! i'm sooooo glad you guys like elephant garlic!
i'd never heard of it but mum got me a bulb so i bunged it in (as you do)
now their are five lush looking plants, about six or eight inches high and i'm considering trying to get hold of some more, if only to encourage me thru the winter.
can all types of garlic go in this late?
Tara xx

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 22:31:05 »
I'm new to all this gardening malarkey, but would like to make use of the garden during the winter, what could i plant now!!

As long as there is no frost in the ground and it isn't waterlogged, you can still plant any bare rooted trees eg: apples, pears etc; shrubs eg: fruit bushes like blackcurrants etc; perennial herbs and anything in containers.  Most things respond to an improved soil by adding compost, manure etc, grit if clay and some fertiliser like fish, blood and bone.  Don't bother to add compost etc when planting trees but use it as a mulch.  Always water in well and if planting trees, use appropriate stakes.  Have fun - the world is your salsify :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 23:08:13 »
You can plant garlic up till March, but don't leave it later than that. The earlier the better; October is ideal.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 08:48:42 »
Hi all,  :D
             On the shallot front, I had a bumber crop of a French variety called delvad, these were quite expensive to buy (3£.70p for 454gms) But I did get about 180 shallots  ;D . I have put some of the crop aside to plant next year, Is this a good idea  ???
                         Adrian.

growmore

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 09:27:54 »
Yes its a great idea.  I haven't bought any shallots in years as I always save some from previous years crop ..One strain I have got was brought over from Hungary in the 1960's by a guy on our site.. These have been grown year after year  by quite a few of us .. cheers ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Gravell

• do what you love.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 14:29:26 »
thanks all, what a friendly forum, i guess i'll be back again, i was half expecting some slating (have i spelt that right?) but shallots it is then.

if it barks, bite it,If it bites give it a goaddamn kick.

growmore

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 15:52:57 »
Planted 2 rows of garlic today and 2 rows of April spring cabbage plants .. Which I had to grow to replace spring hero earlier planted  which had gone to pot with autumn weather .. We have lightish soil here and found it weren't too bad for setting...Cold wind though ....Think winter may be coming..cheers Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal