Author Topic: I have more issues!  (Read 3851 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: I have more issues!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 09:59:50 »
I have terrible guilt trips when I pass a beggar as I feel I ought to be giving them money, but it's combined with the knowledge they might smoke it, shoot it or drink it. I know someone who gave sandwiches to a beggar and they had them thrown back at them.  Big Issue sellers often congregate round supermarkets too. 

What can you do? Giving to homeless charities I think is the best way to deal with it.   

I work for a charity whose sole use of collected money is to make sure the hospital's patients have state of the art scanners.  The cash the hospital gives us for each scan pays only for the running and staff costs, not the capital replacements. This means we can subsidise scans to save lives, the hospital can scan more patients with a given budget and we have one of the shortest waiting lists for MRI scans in the country.

But the Appeal folk (mostly volunteers) give up weekends, sometimes just to bring in a couple of hundred pounds.  A box wave (yes, no shaking allowed any more) will bring perhaps only £120 in a day. 

Ironically, before the National Lottery, we used to get a lot more...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 10:32:51 »
Have to stand up for the National Lottery too Moonbells.  Thanks to them my hospital has a state of the art lymphodema suite, a 4 bedded palliative care uint and 8 care of the elderly beds.  The National Lottery funded half the total cost of the build and refurbishments and the local NHS trust funded the other half.   There are pro's and con's to all arguments.  I stopped giving to charities when I found out how much the Director of the RNLI was earning from them some years ago. 
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 10:47:54 »
When i used to work for a pizza restaurant in my student days i got sick to death of the stuff so i sometimes used to give my staff meal to a homeless guy round the corner - he was always so genuinely grateful for a hot(ish) pizza.
My husband has also given up time to help out at the Christmas Shelter in the past - the one time the Dome has been put to any practical use!
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal