Author Topic: Not impressed.  (Read 2833 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Not impressed.
« on: December 08, 2005, 18:19:07 »
Rats!  I've got them nesting in my dalek compost bin in my back garden. I'm not impressed. I've seen two. Big whoppers.Have traps set since yesterday but no bodies yet. They've forced the door off at the bottom and turfed all my lovely compost all over the place. The compost I was leaving well alone because some of my froggies had hopped in there  :(   If the grotbag neighbours spy them then I'll get it in the neck for feeding the birds and it'll be all my fault etc etc etc. The fact that we live next to a farm,the fields are all flooded and it's a harbour town won't have any bearing on it. I want rid of the little blighters but they are sneaky as owt. Took the bait yesterday and didn't set the trap off.  Don't feel good at all about the situation as I'm not into killing things but needs must for all the well known rat reasons. Urgh! Yak! Ick ack! 

If the traps don't work quickly what else can I do? There are pets and birds in the garden. The children I can keep out of the garden. The only poison I came across said to keep pets, children and birds away so that is why we have opted for the Bob Geldolf.

Do they breed all year round? I'm dreading the answer to this.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Not impressed.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 18:23:13 »
Any good with an airgun???

Derekthefox :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 18:26:02 »
Terriers would be good to use as no side effects.  Make sure you've no cooked food waste or bread in the bin Heidi.   Good luck  :)  Greyhounds and whippets like ratting.  you must know someone with either one or the other  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 18:34:20 »
An airgun doesn't fill me with joy but neither do the rats.  Imagine the neighbours faces if I start taking pot shots,they'll think I've gone bonkers. Don't want one lying around the house either.

What I want to write isn't allowed because it involves alot of very bad words!

Thought about a Jack Russel but not any around here Wardy. Cassie is half staffie half whippet but she's no good. The cat has been for a look (before traps) but he hasn't a chance in hell. Even if he did, the grotbags throw stones at him so he doesn't hang around our garden anymore.

Haven't got bread or meat stuff in the compost.Haven't been putting anything in it for a a couple of months because it was full and needed turning but couldn't because of the frogs. It's all lovely black stuff...getting ruined boo hoo!  OH put a bit of bacon on the traps but the cheeky thing managed to get it without getting choked.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 18:40:14 by Heldi »

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 18:43:21 »
What about a phone call to the local Environmental Health Office, Heldi - especially as you have children in the garden. They should be willing to deal with the vermin.  As Wardy says any cooked food is an absolute no-no in compost bin but the rats might just find it a convenient place anyway

Sorry Heldi, just reread this post and of course the "vermin" means the rats not the kids - sorry, sorry  :-[
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 18:45:30 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 18:55:39 »
Never have put cooked food in the compost bin. They've just found it a nice dry place to nest I think and ofcourse the food the birds drop are an added bonus. Have seen a rat about the last time the fields flooded.

Thought about enviromental health. If the traps don't work then I'll probably have to give them a call. Can imagine the fuss from the olds at the back. They complain about everything.

I really need the traps to work.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 18:59:02 »
Yes they breed very often...the saying goes 'breeding like rabbits'... delete 'rabbits' substitute 'rats'

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 19:57:33 »
Rats breed faster than rabbits. You could try putting the poison inside the dalek where pets, kids and birds won't get to it.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 20:06:56 »
use nutella on the traps. as they cant just pinch it they ahve to sit there and will lick it off. then there there for that long whacking the plate it does go off!!

Trust me its treid and tested!

check out in pests bit a topic on rats.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 20:19:41 »
I like your idea of Nutella Adam. I can imagine that would be very effective ...

Otherwise yes your environmental health officer Helly ...

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 21:06:15 »
So sorry for your plight Heldi - friend of mine was struggling with a rat problem and eventually rang the Council after trying to sort the prob herself and they were successful in ridding her of the little ********.
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 21:21:24 »
We have mice in our loft but as OH was convinced from the noise they make they must be something bigger we phoned our local council, they have been very helpful in helping us get rid of them and working out where they have come from.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 00:24:17 »
I used to have mice living in my shed. I wasn't at all bothered about them,I have been wondering why they have gone. Now I blinking well know why they have disappeared.  the cat was in the shed once and they've gone and got their big uncle!

Adam we had peanut butter spread on the trap yesterday but it was licked off. How it managed to do that I'll never know. Will try nutella but I'll begrudge every bit of it!

Thought rats would be constant breeders just didn't fancy it being confirmed!

:( >:( : :( :(

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 09:25:50 »
Nutella!  I can imagine the word going round on the ratty grapevine that there's Nutella at Heidi's place.  You'll be innundated  ;D

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
    • 21st Century Good Life?
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 12:15:29 »
i had a rat problem in my compost bin for a short time- until i got velcro (the cat) - no problems now thankfully - anything that moves gets it. i try to keep him away from the birds that i feed and so far i have been successful.

how has your cat reacted to them?
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D
http://21stcenturygoodlife.blogspot.com/

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 12:33:35 »
It sounds to me like your trap setting is wrong, they should go off at the slightest touch. No rat or even a mouse would be able to sit on ours, even a bit of heavy breathing sets it off.
Gardening is the great leveller.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 12:55:38 »
I had whooping cough - my coughing set mouse traps off.  It really made me laugh despite being proper poorly  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 13:05:46 »
I agree with Eric on the trap setting, it should be rather sensitive ...

On the nutella, I can just envisage the rats all sitting round having a conference on how to deal with this issue ...

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 13:31:13 »
Have caught 3 mice. One chopped in half and the body is missing...eek!  Think the rats are pushing the mice forward with a stick?The wind set the traps off the other day so I think they must be set ok now if they weren't before.  OH nearly took his finger off trying to reset one the other night under the influence of Stella. She's a bad lass that one!  Rats have departed from compost bin and have not seen them since Friday. One was sat on top of a plant pot bold as brass staring back at me ...why the little ... !

My cat is useless at hunting PM. He is deaf and dayglo white. Not good for a cat...but he looks very nice !Luckily a neighbourhood cat has been very interested in the goings on around OH's shed and maybe she has had an effect.  Hopefully she'll keep coming to visit as long as the grotbags don't throw stones at her.  Ofcourse Spook might take exception to her but he'll just have to watch from the window. He might learn something.

Water has dissipated from the neighbouring fields so hopefully no more visitors. Famous last words I know.

I'm still miffed.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 16:20:00 by Heldi »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 16:17:33 »
You can but hope ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal