Author Topic: DREADED DENTIST  (Read 8069 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: DREADED DENTIST
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2006, 13:13:40 »
It's a bit of a lottery isn't it? I've had an excellent dentist for over 25 years, but even he managed to botch up a root canal treatment (the day before he went on holiday) which left me in intense pain and with my face blown up like a balloon. Luckily his partner was able to open it and drain the poison. Yuck  :o.

When my mother was dying of cancer (about 5 years ago) I didn't have time to go for my routine check ups. After she died I kept putting it off until a filling fell out and most of the tooth seemed to come with it. My one majot dread is losing my teeth, so I made an appointment. My old dentist had retired and this was a new and unfamiliar one.

I was really nervous when I went for the appointment and fully expected to lose the tooth. To my delight he asked whether I wanted to save the tooth, which of course I did. One week later after the xray had shown that the tooth was sound I was fitted for a post crown. £138 on top of my monthly Denplan payment but well worth it for me.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2006, 19:16:33 »
If I get anything nasty like that I take propolis for it, which is plant resin collected by bees. A pea-sized lump taken several times a day will clear up an abscess in a week or so.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2006, 09:06:34 »

I was really nervous when I went for the appointment and fully expected to lose the tooth. To my delight he asked whether I wanted to save the tooth, which of course I did. One week later after the xray had shown that the tooth was sound I was fitted for a post crown. £138 on top of my monthly Denplan payment but well worth it for me.

I thought that if you were on Denplan then you didn't have to pay for any crowns etc, that the plan covers it all.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2006, 11:01:52 »
Apparently not, Moonbells. It covers you for everything the dentist does, but not work he "commissions" from others like dental technicians. So if you needed a crown or dentures or a bridge you would pay extra for having them made. I knew that so I wasn't unduly concerned, but you'd be as well to check the small print.

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2006, 11:54:16 »
If I get anything nasty like that I take propolis for it, which is plant resin collected by bees. A pea-sized lump taken several times a day will clear up an abscess in a week or so.

interesting, we gargle with a tea made from dried calendular flowers :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2006, 19:28:43 »
Apparently not, Moonbells. It covers you for everything the dentist does, but not work he "commissions" from others like dental technicians. So if you needed a crown or dentures or a bridge you would pay extra for having them made. I knew that so I wasn't unduly concerned, but you'd be as well to check the small print.

hmmm I DID need a crown and it was no extra cost... must see if they've changed the conditions since 2002...

ta

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2006, 18:31:18 »
Could be I've got a different contract? I'll check mine too.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2006, 19:00:13 »
My family Dentist of 20+ years is about to retire/give up. Stuck with him through thick and thin and even stayed when he moved practice to another town.

Dont know what we'll do now. Take out insurance and go private i suppose. No NHS dentists in the area now. >:( >:( >:(

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2006, 19:52:32 »
No. N.H. Dentists in the Scottish Borders either.  I had to go to Berwick on Tweed to a private dentist a year ago.  Think our Health Dept. is bringing in Polish Dentists soon to cover all the N.H. patients without a Dentist.  The problem is really dire.

Er.  I am not afraid of Dentists.  Had problems with my teeth all my life so have had to just get on with it and attend whenever. 

::) ::) ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2006, 00:49:45 »
We may have a problem getting dentists, but we also have some who are asylum seekers and aren't being allowed to work. It's a totally crazy system. My sister's on one of the out-islands on Orkney; I can't help wondering how far she'd
 have to go for an NHS dentist.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2006, 15:18:52 »
Just when I thought the antibiotics were taking a small effect, I step out into the cold air, mouth wide open and wham! now have a heavy metal band playing in the top left hand side of my mouth 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 15:23:25 by Yellow Petals »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2006, 16:37:53 »
YP. Oh dear, I really hope you soon gets some relief . My appointment is tomorrow, three fillings, don't know how he will manage, my teeth are chattering already. I know!! I admit to being a coward.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2006, 18:23:56 »
YP. Oh dear, I really hope you soon gets some relief . My appointment is tomorrow, three fillings, don't know how he will manage, my teeth are chattering already. I know!! I admit to being a coward.

Lorna, what can I say?  Us people who are afraid of the dentist take no notice when others say, "dont worry, it'll be fine"

Before I left AOL I used to use a lovely board on there called "Just for Fun" no serious or debateable posts were allowed, it was lovely - anyway, a lady on there once said to me, "the thought of what is going to happen is so much worse than what is actually going to happen" and that is the one piece of advice that has stuck with me ever since.  I usually say it to myself over and over as I walk toward the dentists!

Good luck and do what I do, make yourself a countdown to when it will all be over!  ;D xx 

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2006, 19:12:21 »
YP. I did say to the dentist( who is a charming man, South African) when I had the check  "Wonder why so many people are nervous when going to the dentist" His answer was " Well I suppose it is because of the unpleasant thing we sometimes have to do!!" Thanks Mr Dentist ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2006, 19:15:26 »
My kids dentists are SOuth African? Wonder why there are lots of South african Dentists, both lovely by the way, neither one has yet managed to get me near that seat though. It's become a bit of a challenge!!  :-X

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2006, 19:37:17 »
Lottie. In our town there seems to be an influx of South African dentists AND vets.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2006, 19:43:03 »
Mmmmm......wonder why?  ??? No idea about the vet front, but as for dentist there are alot..not that I have any problem with that, just glad there are dentists round here..

Yellow Petals

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2006, 10:33:11 »
Won't be home again til about 6.30 this evening so I hope everything went ok for you at the dentist today, Lorna  :)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2006, 10:53:58 »
Because of this thread I was reminded to make my 6-monthly appointment with the dentist, and will remind Mr M to have his. Just been this morning and all was fine thank goodness.

Thanks for this thread  :) You are making the dental hygiene of the nation slightly better  ;D

Hope you feel better soon YP and that Lorna's appointment went fine.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2006, 14:31:09 »
MOGGLE. Glad that me starting this thread has done some good :) :) :)

YP.Thanks for thinking of me. All over and done with. He really is a lovely man, talks to you all the time and music playing.He's not bad looking either (down Lorna :).Only thing is the radio was playing "Had a bad day" He decided to sing to me and change the words to. "Having a NICE day". He asked me if I minded him doing all the fillings as they were  all one side. Bravery reared it's head and I said "Go ahead!!!!" Just wish I could drink my cuppa without dribbling ??? Next appointment June......Lorna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal