Author Topic: DREADED DENTIST  (Read 8067 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
DREADED DENTIST
« on: December 05, 2005, 15:21:00 »
Had a dental appointment this morning!! I am ashamed to say I haven't been for nearly four years. Partly because my dentist withdrew from NHS and biggest part because I am a coward..Anyhow went with grandson  and Lorna jnr to their appointment and booked myself in. Charming dentist (South African) put me at ease and the outcome is I have only got to have three fillings, and they are ones that have been done before.. Quite pleased that at 71 I only have two teeth missing and not much work to be done. YIPEE ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
Re: DREADED DENTIST
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 15:22:38 »
Well done Lorna. Clean bill of dental health for me at the dentist this morning...felt like a bit of a waste of time.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 15:24:39 »
OOooo don't gives, me shivers and goosebumps just thinkng bout it  I make sure all kids go, but haven't been in a long, long time and nothing will drag me back there, bar a toothache of course.... ::) ;)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 15:28:49 »
I hate the dentist too, am totally terrified. Used to be OK till I had my wisdom teeth out and the B******D broke my jaw in two places (one of the roots had grown round it and he missed it on the x-ray - just put his foot on my chest and pulled! had a foot shaped bruise and needed 16 stitches)

Went last week for the first time in about 3 years and have to have 2 fillings and two other teeth look dodge, he did loads of x-rays so get the results of them too. Am meant to be going back tomorrow, but think I will cancel as I have a stinking cold and sore throat (my excuse anyway)  ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 15:38:33 »
I am lucky in not having many horror stories from dentists, although I have endured excruciating pain through thoughtlessness in hospital. I count my blessings ...

Derekthefox :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 16:20:29 »
Glad you didn't need to much work Lorna.  The dentist has never bothered me, and have gone regularly since I was a nipper, and now me and the kids go together like a ickle family outing!  ;D  Funny, I am terrified of needles, but so long as I keep my eyes firmly closed when he goes in to numb me, I really don't mind.  Love my South African dentist.  Now, my big butch darling Ava is terrified!  hehehehe.

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 16:58:20 »
Hi -Been to NHS Dentist today,they provided a plate with 2 teeth on it,did 2 extractions so  it would fit the gap and cleaned all teeth. ( Over a number of Appointments )Cost was £340, original Private dentist, would have been £660 for 2 caps. Pretty disgusting when you are Retired and have paid in to NHS for 44yrs,when at work.Didn`t  mind hefty Dentist bills whilst at work, full time. Asked dentist what would be the answer, if  I didn`t  get on with the Plate,she said, I would then need an Implant, cost £1200.Surely  when you Retire, you should not have to Pay, these big Bills ? ?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 17:08:40 »
EJ. Funny Charlie was really terrified of injections and yet he didn't mind the dentist injections. I don't mind any sort of  injections and I know it is silly to be nervous of dentist. The only injections that I have ever felt badly about are the ones they gave me in my big toes to enable them to remove my ingrowing toenails. Boy were they painful, they explained it was because there is very little flesh on toes. My chiropodist told me that when they are training they have to have the injection as part of their training. No wonder she said GOOD LUCK when I went to the Hospital :o On top of that I got fenel burning from the chemicals (I think that is what they called it) and it took months for them to completely heal.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 17:12:15 »
Well done Lorna, it does take a bit of courage to go to the dentist again after such a long time. I was in the same position a couple of years ago, and I was petrified when I was forced to go because I had an abscess on my gum.  

I had had a bit of a butcher previous to that so avoided going.  However, luckily I hit on a really good dentist and she was great, very reassuring and dealt with the problem brilliantly.  Have been going regularly ever since, and have joined Denplan.  There are now no NHS Dentists in Whitley Bay, which is a scandal.   busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 17:19:34 »
Daisymay.No wonder you have a fear of dentists.

pntalbot. I don't really understand the charges. They said today that because I am on Pension Credit there would be nothing to pay. When Charlie was alive I know he paid, I suppose that was because we were not on benefits other than his mobility allowance..I quite agree how do they expect pensioners to pay such large sums. What happened to "We will look after you from the cradle to the grave" ??

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 17:28:30 »
What happened to "We will look after you from the cradle to the grave" ??

Margaret Thatcher/ Tony Blair  :(
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 18:34:37 »
I'm told the the inside of my mouth looks like a 'silver mine.'
Vony.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 18:54:27 »
i had dentist phobia for many years since they weren't giving the anaesthetic time to take effect and I could feel everything they did. I finally found one who understood the problem and it's not so bad now.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 19:01:16 »
Lorna  Well Done....but Oolie... yes Stanley... Thats another

fine mess you,ve gotten us into  ;)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 12:11:50 »
WELL DONE LORNA!  I too am petrified of the dentist, and go all hot and clammy and dizzy when I have to visit!
When I was about 13 a useless dentist managed to drill my lip.........funny wen't right off them after that!
Now have about 6 crowns that require doing, can't afford it so haven't been, kids go regularly though, and the best thing is now they are older I don't feel I have to go in with them! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 12:22:32 »
Lorna from pntalbot --re Dental charges.
The  high charges are because although I am retired , I don`t qualify for Pension Credit.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 13:11:15 »
The last time I went to the dentist, it cost me over £350.  That was on the NHS and went towards 2 fillings and one cap. 

They have sent me a reminder that my bi yearly appointment is now overdue - Will have to go or loose my place as an NHS patient...... :P ::) ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 08:42:16 »
My dentist horror story -  which is linked in with allotments and why I got one - amazingly I now don't worry so much about dentists... 

I avoided dentists for several years after the one who I'd gone to since I was 7 had a heart attack and I had to re-register elsewhere. I only went even then cos I'd snapped off a bit of wisdom tooth.  Eventually a tooth I'd been told at age 13 was cracked finally started to disintegrate, and I went to the same dentist as my hubby. Sadly not NHS, as there weren't any vacancies at the time.

Unfortunately the guy decided refilling wasn't good enough, prescribed an inlay (£275) and bodged it so badly I ended up with a root canal filling (without the anaesthetic having managed to reach the then-abscess so was the worst pain I've ever had) and toothache for a good 6 months straight. Somewhere along the line he left the practice (hooray) and I got a lady who trained at the same place as my old dentist.  Poor thing had to pick up the pieces, not to mention deal with my drill phobia.

Meanwhile toothache gave me constant headaches, I couldn't think or sleep properly, and ended up having a bit of a breakdown*.  Eventually she decided that capping it was the only hope - the pain was the crack irritating my gum and capping would hold it together.  Had temporary for 3 months and the pain finally stopped and then a proper one was made the exact same shape as my original tooth, and it's been fine since.  And I go and see them every 6 months and they're really nice! Luckily all the treatment after the initial inlay was under Denplan. The lab made a very good job and this was a visible tooth.

However if I ever see the bloke again I'll quite probably have to squash the urge to thump him.

Moral: find a good dentist you like before you get a problem and then there's a chance they can detect and sort it before it gets seriously expensive or painful!

*This was when I got my lottie, to try and take my mind off the pain and give myself something nice.  It worked. No regrets there!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 12:10:09 »
Not a pleasant experience at all moonbells, you have my sympathies ... at least you discovered the joys of an allotment through an obscure route ...

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 12:15:40 »
Not a pleasant experience at all moonbells, you have my sympathies ... at least you discovered the joys of an allotment through an obscure route ...

It was one of those things I'd always meant to do, and never had got round to, and being in the open air has always helped my headaches (I get migraines) so when I was reminded at work about allotments I picked up the phone there and then and rang the council - three days later I was in!

Now it'd take a lot to shift me out...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal