Author Topic: WIndow Boxes??  (Read 1313 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
WIndow Boxes??
« on: December 02, 2005, 18:39:04 »
know I'm well out of the traditional summer season for window boxes, but while i cant do an awful lot in the garden / GH i thought of making a couple of said boxes!! the only question is - during the summer months do the wasps, bees & flies etc start to venture more and more into the kitchen as the windows will hopefully be open with  our need for ventilation due to the HOT  ;) ;) conditions of summer :)
Cheers
KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: WIndow Boxes??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 19:49:05 »
First thought would be no, since the wasps and bees would be collecting the nectar from the flowers to take back to the nest and have no interest in the kitchen.  But thats using logic, so it probably doesn't apply.

MikeB

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 09:34:12 »
They don't tend to go for the double flowered varieties of things, it's too hard for them to get to the nectar past all those petals!
On the other hand, you could use a mesh screen at the window gap.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 10:11:27 »
Double flowers often have no pollen or nectar to attract bees. Wasps tend to come into kitchens in late summer and autumn when the nests break down, while bees don't really come in at all. The species of fly you get on food are different to the ones you get on flowers, so don't worry too much.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 15:20:41 »
They are quite beautiful Wardy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal