Author Topic: Greenhouses  (Read 2336 times)

Dan 2

• Acre
Greenhouses
« on: December 02, 2005, 16:35:28 »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a query over a greenhouse I have seen and would like to get. It a 6x6 greenhouse in B+Q and is quite reasonably priced (for a greenhouse I thought!) at £160 (glass). This was one looked fairly good to me and I was wondering if anyone knows about the quality of it or if anyone knows any good greenhouse companies that do greenhouses at a similar price range. I read the following comment on another greenhouse website and questioned the quality of the B+Q one:

"Beware winter storms!
Unfortunately for the owners, many of the cheaper greenhouses have too little aluminium in the frame to withstand good gales. Fortunately for us, gales and storms seem to be on the increase in the last few years. The result is lots of gardeners wanting to replace their flattened greenhouses with stronger models"

Many Thanks,

Dan :-)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 16:38:37 »
I think someone on here has been having real problems with delivery from B & Q. 
I think it's Daisymay and she's been having difficulties getting all her shed delivered by B & Q.  I think they're sending it a bit at a time. 

Have a look in The Shed on A4A  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 16:41:09 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 16:47:52 »
Thanks for your reply Wardy! I can collect the greenhouse form my local B+Q because they have the right one in the garden section so delivery wouldn't be a problem. i'll just stick it in the car! Dan :-)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 17:14:51 »
Dan

Make sure you have all of it before driving off  ;D

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 17:15:55 »
 ;D ;D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 18:43:59 »
Dan

I picked a couple of beauties up second hand (the big one 12 x 8 was given to me)
On my travels I see oodles of greenhouses in back gardens not being used.
Maybe a 'wanted' advert in your local paper?

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 02:52:10 »
BEWARE I had a 12ft by 8ft aluminium greenhouse on my plot and some B@@tard stole my glass and mangled the frame. I had it last year and was planning to grow tomatoes in it this year comming. No chance of that now! Do not spend lots of money just to have it trashed! A little advice.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 08:30:18 »
Good advice snail and Derek! Thanks! The greenhouse was going to be used in my back garden so shoudn't be too much of a problem on the vandal side! I will see what i see as im out and about, lets see if I get a second hand one or not! Dan :-)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 08:46:10 »
Hi Dan
Where are you?? my neighbour has a 8' x 6' GH and wants to get rid so she can site a shed there instead!! bet you could get it for £50!! and its in great nick!!
Cheers KevB

p.s. I'm in Warrington, Cheshire, just off J8 M62 (2 Mins)
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 11:22:04 »
I've got two of these aluminium give aways off neighbouring plots, but only a few sheets of glass, and most of the bits missing.  I doubt they will ever amount to just a pile of scrap, so I would much rather have had one new one any day  :)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 11:25:46 »
Hi there Dan.

my GH i got free. i just had to dismantle it and pick it up. Put a wanted add in your local loot or similar, its free and i got a couple of phone calls saying i could have theirs. in end, i got a 8x6 greenhouse, complete, until we had gails and lot soem glass, but ohwell, only cost about £50 for new sheets of glass, and new glazing clips all way round. looks like new!

Give it a go!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 13:14:46 »
Wardy

Just ask around the lottie and you may find quite a few people have spare panes of greenhouse glass... I was offered virtually a full set.
Aternatively you could cover the frames with polythene, my neighbour has done this and grows great stuff in it.

If you followed the second line you will find that the polythene isn't transparent like glass therefore you can have a sauna at the same time during the summer months....in private  ;)

Derek

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 23:01:49 »
In reply to your post KevB, Im in kent so perhaps a bit too far away, a kind offer though- thanks! thankyou for your replys everyone! Dan :-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal