Author Topic: The thing's gone bonkers!!  (Read 10873 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
The thing's gone bonkers!!
« on: December 01, 2005, 17:11:35 »
We suddenly got windows repeatedly saying that 'spybot has blocked double click' or whatever. Each took 3 kills before finally disappearing. So - I uninstalled & reinstalled with up-to-date Spyware Doctor.

During the process - & since - we have been inundated with batches of spam sent only seconds apart.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/spam.jpg

I have scanned & disposed of all bugs reported, without improvement.

Have I just joined the Unfortunates Club - or is there something more I can do about it??
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 08:23:50 by tim »

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: The thing's gone bonkers!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 17:50:46 »
Not sure what causes that Tim or the long term fix.  The quick fix though would be to block the sender to prevent the mail getting through.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 18:42:39 »
Double-click is adware that needs removing.
Check out this link.

www.inet-mates.com/articles/3_rm_doubleclick.html

Also......
Start your computer in safe mode, then do your spyware and virus checks.
You will be surprised how many more it will find using this method.

Hope it helps
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 18:51:01 by Travman »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 08:29:48 »
Icy - I've blocked all I can, but so many things have a multiplicity of addresses & can't be blocked.

Trav, thanks. So Spybot was doing its job, but I didn't know how to respond.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:59:51 »
Try downloading http://www.spampal.org/ . It recognises the common ISP addresses that 99% of spam comes from whatever the email address being used. One tip - send the spam to a separate folder rather than auto deleting. It can send one line messages to spam from genuine contacts.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:16:06 »
Thanks again - deep in thought - 340 this morning!!!

I DON'T want the alternative of changing my e-mail address, because 8 of the family have the same stem.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:26:19 »
There is a program called Mailwasher.http://www.mailwasher.net/
I haven't needed to use it yet, however it comes highly recommended - and it's got that wonderful feature. It's Free..!!

Travman

• Half Acre
    • castown fc
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 16:04:14 »
i have tried a few spam filters but the best i have found is called " K9 " by wier
It is a  learning filter that works !  It  is can be downloaded free form Snapfiles along with many other free programs
www.webattack.com

Look in the freeware section
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 16:06:35 by Travman »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 17:32:54 »
Looks great - but you'd have to be intelligent to use it. That rules me out!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 17:52:46 by tim »

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 17:43:53 »
Dont know about the things recommended here, but Spybot and Adaware do NOT stop spam. They block people from sending and receiving information from your computer when you are on line. Emails are dealt with by a different set of prograsm. Have you turned your Spam Guard off, or accidently changed your Firewall setting?
Gardening is the great leveller.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 17:52:19 »
Now I come to look into it, I've never had one!!

Travman

• Half Acre
    • castown fc
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 18:42:44 »
Dont know about the things recommended here, but Spybot and Adaware do NOT stop spam. They block people from sending and receiving information from your computer when you are on line.

You are Correct they DO not stop spam  but the thread started with  the spy ware "Double click" being detected
 so a combination of Adaware, spybot and ideally webroot sweeper is needed to clear this,---- Then a spam filter is required  help with the e-mails.

Spybot and adware DO NOT  block people from sending and receiving information from your computer when you are on line. That  is the job of a firewall.

huehueteotl

• Not So New ...
  • I dig therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 22:54:15 »
I used to use all manner of Shareware and Freeware utilities for Anti- Virus, Anti-Spyware, Spam Control, and personal privacy. The Up side was that they were free and the down side was that they were not  always effective or up to date, and when there was a problem it took time and frustration to diagnose and  sort out. For the past couple of years I have been using Zone Alarm Security Suite as an all round solution and it has been well worth it. I get daily updates for Virus and Spyware control and it takes care of Spam and fraudulent email. Also, when the software is updated to a new version it is made available for download and you dont have to go out and buy it. If you use the computer a lot then a suite of programs such as this is worthwhile. The update service is renewable yearly at a reasonable cost.  One way to look at it is that a PC linked to the internet without a decent firewall, virus, spyware, and spamming control is like having a house with a cardboard door. You can check ZoneAlarm out at http://www.zonelabs.com.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 02:18:41 »
Hope this helps Tim it is not a great looking webpage but it has basic info to protect you online. Hope it help you.

http://pc-help.fateback.com

Also think about using another browser like firefox that has built in protection that will stop activex programs and popups for you.

www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Also another tip is to get a free email address from either yahoo or hotmail and use that for the internet and your ISP email for your friends and family. Sorry to give this advice after the event but if it helps anyone else then ok. Hope you do get it sorted out Tim. Hope this has been of some help and I am sorry this has happened to you.

The_Snail
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 02:36:15 by the_sexy_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 09:51:46 »
Again, thanks - something of a mouthful!!

I shall wait until literate son visits at Xmas.

Eric - yes - but it was a coincidence which might have had an association.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 10:02:54 »
Apart from the risks of 'open house', the main nuisance of spam, to me,  is the deletion time involved.
If an anti-spammer is put in, does that not mean that all suspect mail goes into a bin, which you then have to sort through & delete anyway?? And even more carefully, because some wanted mail might be there??

Travman

• Half Acre
    • castown fc
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 20:33:55 »
A learning spam filter will pick out key words,phrases and multiple address sends.
I have had only a few good classified as spam and this was before the program learn what to put in my delete file. I now don't even look what it as sorted.
You can also tellit to look for a keyword to keep , tell your friends to use this word in the tittle and you will never got it classified wrong.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 07:37:31 »
If the program can learn, perhaos there's hope for me!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 10:26:44 »
Me too Tim, I feel like a right duffer at times ... !

Derekthefox :D

Glowworm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 10:44:07 »
Try this one Tim. It's used by the professionals to rip the guts out of any little nasties which might be lurking in your system. Just press the download button and stand back a bit in case you get splattered by viruses meeting a fate worse than death...   ;D

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal