Author Topic: Now this is a good idea...  (Read 7399 times)

undercarriage plan

Re: Now this is a good idea...
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2005, 21:17:47 »
TM is my idea of heaven, no peeps, just space...loads of space....was brought up on farm with no neighbours for 4miles,  could quite happily live without shops cos hate them, live without hairdressers cos they screw it up anyway, and just have veg patch, livestock and big fire, so yes, I certainly could...now live in semi, with neighbours I like but have to speak too, and only feel me when at lottie, tending veg and doing the two step!! To be away from the constant intrusion of 21st centruy living?? Yes please!! That answer your question?? LOL! Oh yes, would be in heaven... ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2005, 22:47:05 »
TM   Have you ever been to Tan Hill?  (kaber Fell)
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 00:35:38 »
Tan hill, isnt that on the Pennine way. or am I lost as usual ...

Derekthefox ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2005, 06:14:18 »
No, you're correct DTF. That's the last time I was at the Tan Hill Inn - doing the Pennine Way in 1981...

Wardy - The house in question must be about 2 or 3 miles from there. I seem to remember the stage of the PW north of Tan Hill was even lonelier...

UP couldn't agree more. Never thought such a life would be good for the kids, though, so remained in suburbia....
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2005, 09:11:25 »
Well, from someone who was a river rat child, and spent days building camps, racing around on bikes, jumping in the mud and generally getting mucky, turning up for tea only to be hosed down outside by me mum, I'd go like a shot! Only wish I could give my kids that childhood.....

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2005, 09:25:15 »
TM   I worked for a firm of surveyors and they had to go up there, surveying mine shafts I think, and they were all so struck by it everyone ended making a visit to the pub up there, where they stayed, the Tan Hill Inn.  My husband and I paid a visit when we were coming back from Scotland.  Apparently it's the highest pub in England and it's on the Pennine Way.  We went on a bright afternoon, well it was bright when we got to Kaber Fell but it soon began to get wet and bleak, quite eerie really.  It was in the middle of nowhere and I thought we must be lost as there was no sign of a pub but we pressed on and found it eventually.  The only chap we saw en route was a shepherd and his dog on a quad bike.  When we got to the pub though it was packed out with people  :)  This was just after the foot and mouth crisis and the pub was on its knees because no-one could use it for the duration. We had a drive round the area and there are some lovely villages.  Very hilly though  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2005, 12:53:37 »
Yes terracemax, I walked the PW in 1981, or was it 1980, I cannot remember. I do recall, arriving at Tan Hill, in disgusting rain, perhaps not as bad as Wainwrights entry in his book though (sheltering under an umbrella ?), and after a spot of early lunch, the next destination was Keld, a very austere looking youth hostel, with fabulous pasties for tea I remember, and some excellent home made vegetable soup. The warden declared it had 53 ingredients, of which 51 were legal ...  ;D Happy days indeed ...

Derekthefox :D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 18:49:42 »
The warden declared it had 53 ingredients, of which 51 were legal ... 

;D ;D

My main memory of that summer was the heat - it was just thundery all the time; exciting when you're on the top of Black Hill with lightning striking the moor around you: but most of the time just sweating along in a grey fug. Or was that the Keld soup  ;)

Wardy - when I came out of the Tan Hill Inn, a little worse for wear, I stepped in a swamp up to my groin!

UP - Agree with all you say. My only fear for the kids would have been the isolation from other children. I reckon kids are pack animals. But I can speak in the past tense now because we almost have a pack of our own now...all I need now is £550,000 ...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2005, 18:55:31 »
Well, what you waiting for!!!  ::)  ;)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2005, 18:58:46 »
a rich relative to cark it...oh, don't have any... :(
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2005, 20:07:01 »
Oh TM, really, must I think of everything.....Borrow one.::) ::) ::) ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005, 20:16:34 »
No Terracemax, it must have been 1980 then, because I remember it rained and rained and rained, everywhere was flooded, the bogs were horrific ... All my gear was wet, I almost had trenchfoot, my feet were terrible, the blisters were just awful. I remember many cold shivery nights, in the middle of summer !!!
Still, it was an experience, and wonderful to look back on now ...

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2005, 21:41:57 »
I seem to havemisse this thread - not sure how!

Interesting read though :)

I too live in a suburban semi but originated from the back of beyond, married a towny and the rest is history.  I feel like a fish out of water and in many ways would love to provide my sprogs with a similar upbringing to my own but can also see the advantages of living where we do.

The solution to my problem is to live in MY WORLD, totally oblivious to the eventual destruction of our planet. When reality rears its ugly head I simply turn my back and return to Delilah's Kingdom ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2005, 22:18:21 »
Wayhey, I have been doing that for the past few years !!!

I no longer watch television, or read newspapers ...
I live life on my terms, and feel a lot better for it. Fortunately I am harmless so they leave me alone ...  ;D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2005, 08:56:01 »
Can't remember the last time a bought a newspaper, only watch the news in the morning cos then I am so busy I can forget the bad news ( only watch it then cos I think that perhaps its perhaps a wise idea to an inkling of whats happening around me).

If I watch telly it has to be a nice, feel good sort of programme, or a gardening/wildlife programme.  I mainly read and post on A4A for my entertainment :D

We are only here once in our current form and I intend to enjoy my time  ;D      Easier said than done I know thats why I live in MY WORLD.

Very few peeps understand me, they just think I'm bonkers, maybe I am but like you DtF I'm not doing any harm ;D  I actually think I'm quite balanced ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2005, 09:12:30 »
Well, I attempted a spot of tv watching yesterday, sat there, watched, twitched, picked at jeans......general fiddling, til OH got fed up with me jumping about the sofa!! Though did record that Prehistoric Monster thingy for kids, but have to say even they seem to be losing interest in the tv, thank goodness!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2005, 16:45:35 »
I know I am unusual, perhaps even dysfunctional, but I believe there are others out there like me ... I think I know one other person who doesnt watch television ... she prefers sticking seeds on strips of newspaper. Perhaps this could be the start of another social group ... hmmm something to think about there ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal