Author Topic: What's bubbling?  (Read 1810 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
What's bubbling?
« on: November 28, 2005, 15:21:27 »
Well, nothing at the moment -but I thought I'd do a quick round-up of my winemaking. FWIW.

In the cellar (ok garage)

A couple of kit bottles of Beaverdale Merlot left, OK but not sure it was really worth the effort.

2003 Elderberry -quite porty, but coming along nicely.

2004 Cider -not bad, considering it was a first attempt, better than strongbow &c.

On the rack from last year.

Elderberry tasted good when I racked it,
Blackberry -hmm I was expecting more, it tasted really good when I first racked it.
Parsnip Sherry -the drains need cleaning (not quite that bad -a bit 'British Sherry' I'm hoping it will mellow. A lot.

This year rackings.

Beaverdale Barolo -tasted good when I stopped it, less so when I racked it.
Beaverdale Gewurtztrammener -not racked yet tasting promising, I hope it turns out OK as it's expensive wine to buy in the shops.

5 Gals Elderberry, Raspberry and Blackberry -oh and a few sloes too. Tasted pretty good when I racked it over, see what it's like in a few months.

All in all I'm more pleased with the country wines than the kits -but the kits were more of a money saving exercise and maybe my hopes were too high. I may have one more go at a kit only leaving all the chemicals out, I'll have to see if I can buy just wine-grape juice somewhere. (Hope that's a bit clearer)

Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 16:19:43 by derbex »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: What's bubbling?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 15:47:45 »
That sounds an impressive cellar you have there Jeremy. I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your country wines. I am of the opinion that these may be an acquired taste, but can be better than conventional grape wines. My rhubarb is certainly very drinkable, and my last bottle of blackberry will also be appreciated. My pumpkin will be a new experience, and the still bubbling carrot is rated highly by my wife.

Derekthefox :D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 16:17:08 »
Oops -I must have given the wrong impression Derekthefox -I'm disappointed with the kits rather than the country wines.

Let me know how the pumpkin turns out -I generally have lots to spare this time of year :)

BTW -how have you made the rhubarb, dry, sweet, sparkling?

And I missed the elderflower champagne -twice, just now and the other day when I gave a glass to my daughter under the impression it was 'Highland Spring'  :o It's been in the back of the fridge for months.
Very nice too -but we found it had gaseous (back)side-effects

Jeremy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 17:00:28 »
No Jeremy, the error was mine, I just interpreted your comments wrongly. I get the impression that the pumpkin will be vaguely sherry, mead, madeira like, with its own pumpkin flavour ... we will see. The rhubarb has been made dry, as are all my wines ...

Derekthefox :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal