Author Topic: Delia's Kitchen Garden book  (Read 2565 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Delia's Kitchen Garden book
« on: November 27, 2005, 14:27:46 »
I have just bought this book & I am quite impressed.  Delia has people do her garden for her and it looks impressive.

Set out in monthly/seasons chapters with lots of photos of many stages of vege gardening.  Listings of what to plant/do each month.  Just a couple of recipes at the end of each chapter.  Written by Gay Search.

Just wondered if you peeps have seen it yet?

Anna
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Delia's Kitchen Garden book
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 14:36:59 »
I have to confess I haven't, perhaps due to my phobia for shopping ...  :)

Derekthefox :D

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 15:21:45 »
It's a book I fancied, but not had chance to browse through it.   Same with gardening books, can never have enough books.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 15:25:18 »
ps

I've just been looking through Amazon.com and went to purchase 3 used (very good condition) gardening books, grand total of £1.19  :o I gave all my details only to get an error message.  So will have to wait and see if books arrive or not.  I suspect they won't as it says there was an error page.  I thought I was in for a bargain.  But will try again some other day. It passed a few minutes anyway.

Lily

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 16:52:33 »
Due to my second team being Ipswich Town, I know quite a few songs about Delia - none of which can be written on this board.  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Jessie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 19:09:23 »
I've got the book and had it since the spring, think it's brilliant and apart from the Dr Hessayon book that's the next book I use the most, oh and also an old Geoff Hamilton book that I have. Wish I could have a kitchen garden like Delia's, weed free, now that would be an achievement for me :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:30:16 »
I've had this book since last Christmas and hardly looked at it!  It's at the bottom of a huge pile of books. Time to nag OH into building me some book shelves so I can see exactly what books I have.  I have to climb over books in order to get into bed.

Lily

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:43:30 »
My daughter and I made some bookshelves last year.  The wall in the alcove wasn't very even, which made it a little difficult as first, but they are level.

Lily

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:21 »
Looked at it, dismissed it as being a coffee table book. Too many photgraphs, not enough recipes which are only rehashes of ones found in every other one of her books. Save your money!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 14:22:01 »
Oh Palustris it's a gardening book.  Not a recipe book.  That's why I was so amazed by it.  And the gardening photos look excellent for a beginner (and not such a beginner). ;D
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 16:20:33 »
Wasn't impressed when I borrowed it from the library.

Heldi - you haven't seen my mother's room. Due to plumbing problems, no carpet in hall & dining room, or lino in kitchen, so things that were downstairs are either in the living room or upstairs - she can reach various bottles, and what about a frying pan from her bed! Not too many books, mainly in boxes in the garage after moving house 6 years ago.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 16:31:06 »
I've got this book, got it for Christmas last year. Is useful due to the format - month by month, but you can never beat joy Larkcom as far as I am concerned.

sammyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 17:19:39 »
its £4.99 instead of £20 on the website the book people

have bought many books from them- recently purchased the great vegetable plot by sarah raven

;D

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 16:36:57 »
I got it from the book people last year, I think - needed to spend an extra couple of quid to get the free P&P, so it was effectively free. It's OK, but probably only worth getting if you don't have any vege growing books already.

Sammyd mentioned the sarah raven vegetable plot book. Haven't seen that one, but I've had her book the 'Cutting Garden' out of the library quite a few times - well worth a look if you're into growing cut flowers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal