Author Topic: Clarifying quince vodka  (Read 3109 times)

Tobias

Clarifying quince vodka
« on: November 26, 2005, 16:33:30 »
How can one clarify quince vodka once the fruit pulp has been strained off?  By "clarify" I mean the minute remaining particles which make the vodka slightly cloudy.

blight

• Half Acre
Re: Clarifying quince vodka
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 17:15:12 »
my wife makes quince vodka. she usually puts the jar on the terrace and lets the cold do the job of clarifying.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 14:10:06 »
Quince is a high pectin fruit, so the cloud is probably due to that. You can remove it by adding a pectin enzyme, following the instructions. This is common with wine made from many types of fruit eg apples.

Derekthefox :D

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 13:35:35 »
You can also use washed and crushed eggshells to clear cloudy wines. I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but it's worked in the past for a couple of stubborn cloudy wines I've made.    {:¬)#

Eggwhites work as well, something about the proteins (cloudy stuff in the wine) having a small positive charge and the finings ( whatever you use to clear it ) a negative one, so they combine and sink to the bottom. "A" level chemistry was MANY years ago !   :-\
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 13:45:58 by AikenDrum »
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 13:47:11 »
I found this the other day :-

http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/CalcInfo/fining.htm

Now all I need to do is read it as the Parsnip is a bit cloudy, I did add Pectolaze at the beginning -maybe I need more?

Jeremy

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 14:32:49 »
Woohoo !  I remembered correctly !  *skips around the room punching the air* That is an excellent article derbex, bookmarked. Have you got any Bentonite ? It's a kind of clay I think, absolute magic.    {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 15:32:31 »
There was some in the Gewurtz kit, added right at the start before the yeast, it's only just been stopped so too early to tell how clear it will end up.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 20:45:01 »
It should be used after the wine/beer has finished formenting (bubbling) after about a week.     {:¬)#

Lizzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 15:14:04 »
Quince vodka sounds ace - I've a glut of ornamental quince doing not very much (I've make gallons of quince jelly already). Can I make quince vodka using the ornamentals? - the jelly is delish, btw. And if so, would you share the recipe?

Thanks,

Lizzie

Tobias

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 20:26:41 »
2 large quinces (or a pound of small quinces)
grate, pound, process, or smash with hammer
place in a jar and cover with
vodka (or gin)
add 2 tbs sugar if desired
stir twice a day first three days
put in a cool,dark place with a lid on and leave for at least 2 months

I forgot about mine and found it a year later. It´s fantastic
I´d certainly try it with the little quinces
sorry about delay. computer crashed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal