Author Topic: Found this on White Rot  (Read 7410 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Found this on White Rot
« on: October 14, 2003, 22:01:58 »
Factsheet
DC16      Onion White Rot

{nav_box}
Onion white rot, Sclerotium cepivorum, is the most serious, widespread, and destructive disease affecting the Allium family. Onions, leeks, garlic, chives, shallots and salad onions can all be affected by this soil-borne fungus. Once in the soil, it is extremely difficult to either control or eradicate.
Typical symptoms
Plants, apparently growing well, suddenly start to die. Older leaves turn yellow and wilt, and examination will reveal that roots have become stunted or rotten. Seedlings keel over, larger plants can easily be pulled out of the ground, and garlic stems pull away easily from the bulb. A few plants in a small patch may be affected at first, then a whole row may show signs as the problem spreads.
As the disease progresses, a white, cottony-looking fungal growth will be seen around the base and up the side of bulbs, with tiny black globules, like poppy seeds, among the fungus. These are the fruiting bodies of white rot, known sclerotia.
Life cycle
Onion white rot is an exceedingly persistent organism. The sclerotia are able to survive for at least 15 years in the soil even without a suitable host plant.
When diseased plants are lifted, sclerotia fall off, then lie dormant in the soil until a member of the Allium family is planted on or reasonably (10cm/4in) near them. The presence of Allium roots stimulates the fruiting bodies to germinate and infect new plants, starting the cycle of disease once again.
Temperature
White rot is temperature dependant. It is active only when the soil temperature is between 10º-20ºC (50º-68ºF). In the UK, this is usually in March/April. At this time overwintered crops, such as garlic, have a well-developed root system, extensive enough to stimulate the sclerotia into germination.
Sources of infection
Infected soil on plants, boots or tools is the usual point of new contamination. There have been occasional cases of infected onion sets but this is very rare. If animals eat infected Allium bulbs, viable sclerotia will be present in their manure, but this is not a common situation.
Prevention and control
•      Hygiene: Quarantine is the best method of avoiding white rot. Don't take chances as infectious soil can be transferred on footwear, tools and seedlings. Discourage other gardeners from walking their mud around your plot. Scrub and rinse thoroughly your own equipment and boots after use in another garden. Don't accept plants from other gardens - these could carry the early stages of the fungus. Buy garlic for planting from a reputable supplier.
•      Cultural control: If you suspect white rot in your garden, use as long a rotation period as possible. Aim for an eight year gap in any suspect area. If you discover a small patch of infection, remove and dispose of affected and adjacent plants, and the surrounding soil. It's worth removing a large quantity of earth to clear out a small area of infection. Avoid growing garlic if you think you might have the disease. It is particularly susceptible and will stimulate sclerotia deep in the soil.

When stimulated by nearby plants, white rot can spread 1-2cm sideways, through the soil. Intertwined roots will also transfer infection so space plants widely. Clumps of multi-sown onions should be 30cm/12in apart. Sow onion seeds, not sets. Onions grown from sets have well developed root systems just as soil temperature triggers disease activity. Seed-sown onions are still very small at this time, with immature roots which are less likely to encourage attack.
•      Harvesting: Badly infected bulbs will not store. They continue to decay, and will contaminate clean crops. Onions whose roots alone have been damaged may store, and although they will be small, they will keep well.
•      Composting: Heat will kill white rot. If you are certain that your compost heap will reach 50ºC for several consecutive days, then it is safe to compost contaminated foliage. Otherwise, burn, or landfill, diseased material.
•      Other things to try: Try growing garlic in large (10cm/4in diameter) holes filled with uncontaminated soil. When infection is triggered in spring, there will be minimal root damage before higher soil temperatures halt the disease. Leeks are worth trying, even on really infected ground. They may survive and crop well due to a combination of soil temperature and root development at a crucial time of growth.

Once a white rot sclerotia has germinated and re-infected a new crop, it dies. If you know you have the disease, plant an Allium crop, wait for signs of infection to appear, then immediately lift and dispose of all the crop and surrounding soil. This might be successful in exhausting and removing most of the infection but would have to be repeated more than once.

Preliminary tests in pots have indicated that garden compost, when added to soil can suppress diseases such as white rot. Some experts consider that the amount of compost needed to affect white rot in a garden situation would cause environmental pollution. Further investigations are needed to confirm these findings.
Not a nice thing to have ???
Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Found this on White Rot
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 22:09:02 »
tell me about it!! - that's why it's all been sanitised this month in the hope that something will come through.

Just cannot go another year buying onions etc. - Tim

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 22:21:01 »
I heard today that you could water your patch with Jeyes fluid. Not quite sure what that would do to the soil though - kill all the goody bacteria maybe along with the nasties?

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 22:44:44 »
Teresa - just a little thank you for your efforts.   I shall file this in my Gardening Folder.   Don't suffer yet, and don't want to, but if ever I do, or my neighbours do, I'll know exactly what to do, thanks to you.

I have a feeling that Jeyes fluid could work ???

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 23:00:27 »
Hi Colin and all
Yes Jeyes Fluid could work being a disenfectant used for the garden and animals. You can tell I was brought up on a smallholding JF was always to hand.
Mum used JF watered on her primroses to get rid of the little black slugs that live in the ground from eating the roots of the plants and it worked. Also stopped mice from eating her crocus perhaps that was the smell of it.
Hope it helps others understand what white rot is.
Teresa

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 23:15:47 »
JEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!

Thanks so much for that, Teresa...I'm gonna print it out too...so the 'friendly' cup of coffee from a neighbour is really a poisoned chalice??

:o - Lishka

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 23:27:20 »
Yep or do you make them walk through a babys bath of diluted Jeyes Fluid? If a lottie holder has this they should not be walking on another lottie holders plot. 15 years is a long time. Differcult one
Teresa

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 00:38:12 »
Sounds like a job for Armillatox - but you must only buy it for cleaning your patio!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 01:38:35 »
Teresa, this is so serious, I'd say YES, bite the bullet and not allow anyone onto your site without going through one of those disinfectant thingies...and print off the White Rot notice, above, put it in a plastic sleeve, and post it? And bring it to the attention of your Lottie Sec. to, hopefully, give it a high-profile?? Surely it needs everyone on the Site to be aware and cautious? - Lishka

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 13:06:17 »
I believe Jeyes Fluid has now been banned.....well I think it has  :-[.  Hells bells....what am I to tell old Jack when he comes wandering over!  hmmmm.....I guess when I see him coming I shall cut him off at the pass with my flask in hand.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 15:01:37 »
- lost that, just through trying to modify in the wrong place!
- was saying, sad when when it comes down to banning your friends - and how do you know if they have it? So I should have changed my wellies before visiting others? OMG!

With all this talk of Jeyes and 'patio cleaning', I have to say that my 'sanitisation' was with wiggly-friendly Armillatox @ 1/100. Twice. Cultivating in between. As I said elsewhere, I'll report back next year. - Tim

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 18:20:55 »
Hiya  :)

Armillatox[/b]

From The Co. that manufactures it.

Under European legislation the active ingredients of all pesticides have to be reviewed, the cost of raising the data for the review is estimated to be £3 million - to a small company the cost is prohibitive

As current legislation stands it will be illegal for Armillatox to be sold as a pesticide after 25th July 2003 in European Member States - outside of Europe it will continue as normal.

We have made representations to the EU and have been supported by our MEP to look at a reduced package for small companies with niche products such as Armillatox but as the deadline approaches, we have has to reconsider our position

Therefore as from 25th July 2003, we will re-label Armillatox as 'Armillatox Soap Based Outdoor Cleaner' so taking it out of the pesticides regulations - the formulation will remain the same.

Armillatox is made from the finest polyalkyl phenolic types available emulsified in the purest vegetable oil soap. It is therefore a NATURAL product which will enhance the soil rather than pollute it, i.e. it is completely bio-degradable. Remember that these polyalkyl phenolic types are obtained from plant life and it is the polyalkyl phenolic types in growing plants which give them their natural resistance to diseases

White Rot In Onions

Drench the ground at the dilution rate (100/1) using 5 litres per square metre.

Apply prior to and after digging.

Plant after 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:10 by -1 »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 19:20:20 »
I think I'll buy my onions from the greengrocer from now on snif snif. White rot, club root, tomato blight..... I've got it all. On the bright side, there are a million other things that grow well, including the blight resistant tomatoes huray! -Ina

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 16:51:12 »
and, of course, Armillatox is not cheap if you're on a budget - unless you got it when stores were trying to off-load it.

Our next onion plot - 30'X30' - cost me about £25. So? - we need to be self-sufficient in onions.  And shallots - and garlic! - Tim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 21:46:34 »
- can't think why that too should disappear - so:

on second thoughts, I find I still have a bit left in the dilutor - so - £15? Don't want to put people off.

Let's hope it works - it's GOT TO! - Tim

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 23:01:46 »
Ina-sorry  :'( but there aint no such thing as a blight resistant tomato-forget the marketing hype.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2003, 22:27:19 »
don't spoil the dream, Stephan?

Even my shoulder will get better one day?? - Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal