Author Topic: Squash ID Please  (Read 9053 times)

AikenDrum

• Acre
Re: Squash ID Please
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 13:30:50 »
Did I read that right wardy ? did you actually say you wanted a heavy bottom ?    :P  :P  :P
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 16:58:18 »
The one I've got is quite big but not big enough.  I need a whopper  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 17:32:30 »
I find the same Wardy, there is not enough left to freeze off. However I do have a 5 gallon jam pan for that, fortunately ...

Derekthefox :D

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 18:54:04 »
As Creuset has cropped up, can I just ask for some advice?  I'm pondering gift options for OH - not organised this year at all - and he's a very keen cook, who's shown an interest in Creuset from time to time.  It does seem very expensive though -so what experience have people had?  Is it worth the price? And if so, what pieces in particular?  OH will cook pretty much anything but obviously I'd want to buy him a piece/pieces that actually do the job better than other pots/pans.   Don't think I can afford a whole set in one go though, even if it is good :(
Thanks in advance  :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 19:00:51 »
Mine sticks!  I wanted it for curry which needs some high heat at times but it just sticks so you can't relax and leave anything simmering.  Disappointed  :(

In the school where we did the classes they had bog standard old fashioned heavy duty aluminium and they didn't stick at all.  Don't know if you can still get them,  I keep popping in the charity shops hoping to find one.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 20:27:16 »
I have little regard for Creuset too, but I have found their large casserole pots to be reasonable. However, when you take into account the weight of the pot, and the fact that it has limited use, I would rather buy a large stainless steel pan that can double as a casserole dish in the oven. The casserole can always be ladled into a pretty serving dish for visitors ...

Derekthefox ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:00 »
Moggle, do you want back some Queensland blue seeds when I have cut into mine? I grew it all by itself so it may well grow true!

Yes please Doris!!

Moggle, this any use ?

http://thepassionatecook.typepad.com/thepassionatecook/2005/10/roast_squash_bi.html

Cheers Aiken, that is a great start. I was sure someone on here talked about it though  ???

And an update on the pumpkin lasagne - I cooked it last night, and it was delicious. I made it with about 500gm of peeled pumpkin and 3/4 of a tub of ricotta, and a bit of garlic with the pumpkin. I would say though that the pumpkin goes quite sweet, so make sure you salt it very well. I may add some finely chopped onion to the pumpkin mix. Also the whole pumpkin/ricotta mix was quite dry and I ran the lasagne sheets under water, but it probably could have used a bit more moisture. OH thought it was delicious though, and has taken the leftovers for lunch today :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 09:45:28 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 09:49:46 »
Sounds lovely Moggle.  Just so happens I have a fridge full of pumpkin chunks  :)

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 19:47:35 »
Thanks Wardy and Derektf - that's another present idea out the window then!  Why can't OH be interested in gardening? Life would be so much easier ....

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 12:17:23 »
Would you want him to be interested in gardening though ... at the moment, the hobby is all yours ...

Derekthefox :D

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 18:30:47 »
Wardy ;D ;D ;D  PLEASE

Can I come and live with you ;)

Bloody Nora :o

Hope it tasted like it looks....Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 18:34:18 by TULIP-23 »
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 22:29:33 »
Had Crown Prince squash for tea again TP.  This time made into soup with some dried tarragon.  I used freshly grated nutmeg before but I wanted to see if tarragon would work and it did.  Added near the end of cooking time.  Yum.  With home made sunflower bread  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal