Author Topic: Mucky Hands  (Read 3517 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Mucky Hands
« on: January 31, 2004, 23:45:01 »
Top tip for the gardeners amongst you who hate to wear gloves, like me naughty naughty. I can only wear them for sharp and prickly jobs.  When your hands get very bad with ground in soil and muck the following is a good way to clean them.
1. pour about a tablespoon of sugar into your palm.
2.pour about a tablespoon of cooking oil on top of it.
3.scrub into your hands concentrating on the ground in bits, edges of fingers and thumbs.
4.after a few mins add a squirt of washing up liquid and scrub a bit more. Rinse under warm water, dry and put a bit of hancream on.      Results=  Wonderfully soft hands.

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

ScrumpyJack

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Mucky Hands
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 13:01:13 »
And for those with nails, who don't wish to be gloved, dig your nails into a bar of soap before heading out to your plot.  no room for soil to get stuck and ready prepared for the nailbrush when you get home.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 15:12:44 »
- soft brown sugar & olive oil for the discerning?

The soap trick's fine so long as it's not raining! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 17:42:17 »
The best tip to aid mucky hands.......get someone else to do the mucky jobs.   ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 18:44:28 »
Oh I wish ;D ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 19:08:26 »
Boots own brand Botanics Shaving Gel with Aloe Vera, really good for softening hands, not much for shaving though
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 22:27:04 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 22:04:10 »
Deja vu

Garden hands; this was my very first question on the beebboard which was the very first time I ever posted anywhere, I found it a bit scary then and look at me now.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 23:37:45 »
There`s nothing beats rolling out a bit of pastry, and the birds don `t mind if it`s a bit grey!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 07:19:11 »
ScrumpJack. Your tip has stood the test of time. It's also what those working in industry used to do before Swarfega came out. Thanks for the reminder.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 16:30:57 »
The thought of having soap stuck up my nails makes me shiver! ekk! I use those surgical gloves, fine till summer arrives and your hands sweat! ;D But you can't really feel you have them on.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 18:16:53 »
I hate wearing gloves and my hands have to be presentable at work. No matter what I tried, I'm always left with stains, especially on my thumb and forefinger. So I still have to resort to (and you will shudder) thick bleach. Just a couple of minutes will do. It actually seems to make my hands soft while they felt like sandpaper before, hard to believe I know. afterwards, I do put cream on and my hands stay soft. Not good for the environment but I use just a little bottom in a bowl and only when I really have to.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 17:33:34 »
I use good old soap and water (combined with a nail brush if really ingrained). I usualy find it doeds the trick as i dont like gloves (except when it is cold - lol)

Soil I find no problem washing off, it is multipurpose compost that is the devils own job to remove. >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal