Author Topic: Addictive Allotmenteering  (Read 15915 times)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
Addictive Allotmenteering
« on: November 20, 2005, 23:32:31 »
You know, just 12 months ago, if anyone had suggested that I would spend a Sunday night with pen & paper planning next years vegetable rotation and listing what seeds I have and what I need, I would have said they were.....MAD!

I'm not sure what's happened to me, seem to be losing what grip I had. I read seed catalogues instead of books; the only thing that will drag me away from the family is the allotment. I don't care very much for the garden at home any more...can I get help?????

;D

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Re: Addictive Allotmenteering
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:16:26 »
On the rare days that I travel on a train I don't look at the view over the fields and hills, I look out for allotments!

I saw a lovely site just a few days ago.  I was travelling North on a coach and saw 'steaming' in the distance a large heap of manure, cow manure.  In the cold frosty morning you could see that the heap was hot and steamy, :D I day dreamed the rest of the journey just what I could do with that large heap of manure.

Join the club, whether you grow in an allotment or a garden it can be addictive.  ;D

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:07:57 »
I feel sorry for those who don't have families who share their enthusiasm

I know what you mean, Wardy.  My lot just sort of humour me, they'll do a little bit and clear off, whereas I want to stay all day (and night too if it were poss).  They just don't get it!  ;D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 15:42:25 »
We went out with an old friend from uni at the weekend, and he nearly peed himself laughing when we started talking about the allotment! Was threatening flat caps for christmas! I didn't realise how much we had changed.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 15:47:20 »
Very much addicted to my allotments every minute I have of my spare time I am up there, get the same here about people teasing me about being up the lottie, but I do not give a monkeys, and its funny the people that do the calling are always the ones that hold their hands out for your produce when you have some to spare.
                              :o
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 15:49:44 »
I think everybody needs an escape/obsession Mr Delilahs is golf, daughter no1's is horse-riding, daughter no 2's is dancing and golf mine will be my allotment, they all scoot off to their hobbies while I am at home trying not to do housework well not no more guys cos I'm going to the lottie!!! :) :D ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 15:56:18 »
When I tell people that I have an allotment.  They say Oh!.  But there body language says 'Whats one of them' and/or 'What You'. 

I go on about how good everything tastes and that there's no comparison with what you buy in the shops.

We'll have the last laugh yet.  ;D  ;D

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 16:31:25 »
I haven't got a lottie but love my garden. My son will often buzz me in the evening to say.."Haven't seen you on line, I suppose you have been gardening AGAIN" He hates gardening. When we kept pigs and sheep and we had one slaughtered for the freezer I would give a joint to any visiting family.They would query why I thought it was superior to shop meat. That is until they tasted it!!!! One family member thought it disgusting that we drank milk from our Jersey cow. Quote. Mine comes in a nice clean bottle. So I think if any of us do something different to what people think is the "norm" we will be amused by their reactions.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 16:39:35 »
I spent Saturday night flicking through seed catalogues - I've already placed my main order, but there are bound to be other bits I want and I'm after some more soft fruit to.

I spend nights unable to sleep because I'm thinking about crop rotations, what plant will grow with what, what to cook with the occassional glut, etc.

I rush home from work to read my ornamental kitchen garden book. (It used to be rushing home to look at the garden, but it's in blackness now!)

Mr Aqui's mum wants to know what we want for Xmas. I jokingly said to him a ton of well-rotted manure. He said ok - I'll tell her. I'm actually thinking now that it might be a good idea.

I've been moaning because none of the roads near us have trees on them. But ones miles away do. No car - so no chance of transporting them.

Oh and I always point out allotments to Mr Aqui on bus/train rides and when we walk round the park, I always make sure we walk past the allotment fence.

Oh yes - I don't even have an allotment. One day...
gone to pot :D

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 18:17:11 »
 ;D

Thank goodness i'm not alone  ;D

I too, get the mickey taken, but i don't care!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 18:56:56 »
Why........is there life beyond the allotment?  Am I missing something??

I no longer get laughed at at school when I arrive in my mud covered trousers and my hefty boots, because one of the other mums also has an allotment on my site, so we compare notes, and compare harvests, and mums complain about the price of rubbish veg in asda, and we talk about the different squashes and pumpkins, and they all declare they have never heard of them, and when they are moaning about having to buy limp naff veg to make a stew, we smile as we fill our stews (and freezers) with tasty fresh lush produce!!

My darling might not be a 'grower' but he is my grafter and never begrudges my gardening and growing passion.  You know, I can't imagine my life without a growing space somewhere, even if it were just a few pots!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 19:22:21 »
Since humans started being we've worked hard with nature to provide food for ourselves and our families.

For the last two hundred years a few of us, mainly in the West, decided we had more important things to do (like shopping) and turned our backs on food production and nature.

I reckon it's not suprising that allotmenting feels like we've come home.

:)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 09:10:54 »
I am forming a support group called allotments anonymous (AA for gardeners)....of which the first step of the program is ...i am powerless over my gardening and i cant control my need to dig, garden, plant, pick fresh veggies, destroy weeds, and get lots of fresh air and exercise......

At work i am frequently asked for food parcels of fresh veggies from those who dont have an allotment, particularly those unusual veggies..the best one I planted this year in the poly tunnel was an italian squash called angels trumpets.....grew up to 2m long and 10cm thick , very much like a butternut in texture and taste...seems my addiction is much appreciated by all at the office....which is a outpatient centre for treatment of addictions!..really... ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 09:48:56 »
urrm... (shuffles)... I'm Max and I'm hooked on growing vegetables. I used to like fast cars, designer clothes and, you know...but now I'm only happy pushing a wheelbarrow full of smelly stuff or reading the Organic Gardening catalogue....
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 12:10:25 »
Hello my name is Delilah and I'm teetering on the edge of addiction.  Only just got my lottie but am already hoping for wellies for Chrissy and the Allotment video. 

Please help I think I may soon be out of control and past redemption!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 13:30:59 »
I'm Andy and I'm in the early stages of addiction.  I dream of mulching, manure and compost.  I read seed catalogues in bed at night and get irritable if I can't get to the lottie at weekends.  Am I beyond salvation! ;D
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 14:15:45 »
I am Lorna . Haven't got an allotment but am addicted to following.. Gardening. A4A. and now and again Brandy

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 16:01:48 »
I am with you all on this one. I do not know what I did with my life before i got a garden and allotment (both this year).

I have never been happier. I am so content, pottering around, doing my best. The achievements out weigh the failures most of the time and I am always learning new stuff. More than can be said at work!

Most of the people I am work with think I am sad but most of my close friends are jealous and very intrigued.

I am getting withdrawal symptoms as I only get to spend 1/2 hr in the garden/ lottie in my lunch hour because work is getting in the way of my social life.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 17:38:30 »
I am red - I am addicted to lottying.  Since becoming addicted I have become less enthusiatic about work and in fact would quite like to give it up and take up veg growing full time.  I find that at weekends I am neglecting my family but despite pining, they are looking a lot healthier.  I know I am a hopless case but I have no intention of getting better.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 17:44:34 »
I'm Emma, and I am passed helping.  I am addicted to the outside world, especially my garden and allotment.  I used to toddle around 'the bright lights' sipping champers and nibbling canapes....now I guzzle mugs of tea and munch down on hunks of home made bread smeared with home made jam!  My make up bag used to be full of designer lotions and potions....now there are tubs of heavy duty hand cream and nail brushes to get the mud out from under my finger nails.  Stilletos have been replaced by walking boots, stockings my thick thermal wooly socks, fishtail skirts make way for mud marked denim and silk blouses now make fetching dusters!

My names Emma, and I have an addiction!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal